Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nick Parsons Amazing 39 and 41 Off Crash

HortonHorton Posts: 25,685 Administrator
edited October 2012 in Videos & Photos

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

rico

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,643 Mega Baller
    That is a nasty crash. He looked a little forward coming off the wake.
    Mark Shaffer
  • WishWish Posts: 7,317 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited October 2012
    That was disturbing in real time. Actually did not see that coming. Made me jump a little like watching a scary movie. Realy hope he's Ok.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    skifreak
  • GarnGarn Posts: 446 Crazy Baller
    To me it looked like his bindings prereleased which caused the crash.

Garn
  • fu_manfu_man Posts: 380 Solid Baller
    @garn I was just going to say that ....
  • WishWish Posts: 7,317 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    The ski makes a funky move right off centerline of wakes. Maybe before. Sort of porpoising then seems to drive into the water off second wake (porpoising on the down) almost getting sideways right before release. I think it released perfectly. Hate to think what would have happened if the ski stayed on.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • estromestrom Posts: 508 Baller
    Wow! His weight is definitely forward, but his ski reacted very strangely coming off the second wake. The water is usually breaking under his front foot at that point, but that time, it almost looked like the ski flexed in a weird way. Just bizarre. Hope he knows a good chiropracter.
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 4,015 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited October 2012
    Wow, that was a hard crash after a decent 39'! I completely disagree with @Garn and @fu_man, the bindings released as designed after he stuffed the tip.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
  • allycatallycat Posts: 179 Baller
    mad crash think your right lucky the bindings did release
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 1,021 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Worst crash I have ever seen. Is he ok? Agree, disturbing to watch. Something definitely strange at the 2nd wake...boots release seems likely. What does Nick have to say about it?
    It looks to me like his shoulders were definitely in front of his feet going into the wakes at 41. Not by much but my guess (I have never skied 38 never mind 41) is that you don't need to be out of position by much at 41 to get in deep trouble.
    Mark Shaffer
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,881 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    My buddies wife fell like that when I was in the boat once and it scared the hell out of me. Didn't see it coming, buries tip and yard sales just like that...I don't get too shook up but I thought she was knocked out or stretcher bound. Same reaction as above as worst crash I had ever seen. Trouble is she is dangerously close to this frequently and the bell ringers have her questioning whether she should continue to ski.
    I told him to join BOS and post video so we could all try to fix her technique. Going to 2,4,6 she comes off wake and the tip goes down looking a little dangerous even when she doesn't bury it. I only got to see the one set where she took the beating and it came on an early pass so didn't get much chance to analyze.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • KlundellKlundell Posts: 432 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I actually yelled in my office when I watched that. Worst crash I've ever seen. His bindings didn't look like they pre-released to me... they were connected the entire way until the tip stuffed.
  • scuppersscuppers Posts: 391 Baller
    I'm with Wish - I jumped just watching the video. I was bad but would have been a lot worse with out the release.
    Chuck Link, Deland Florida
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,685 Administrator
    edited October 2012
    Nick told me that he thinks he was a little forward and there is a soft foamy bit in the wake at 41. I guess he was at the limit and then got to that soft bit in the wake and BOOM!

When he said that - he had not yet seen the video and I think he was still seeing stars... He had a red mark on his forehead from hitting something.

I do not see how it could be a pre-release. He was putting all the power of the boat DOWN into the ski.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 885 Crazy Baller
    Just glad he is ok. that was violent
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • BradyBrady Posts: 1,057 Mega Baller
    I think the nano he is on is too short. even on the 39 pass, on every turn his tip seems so close to dipping. If the ski was 1 or 2 inches longer, would it a) have prevented it from dipping and b) have changed the dynamics of the ski or how he is skiing?

I agree with the other posts in that this is the worst crash I have ever seen. I hope he is okay!!
    I ski, therefore I am
  • ToddFToddF Posts: 489 Baller
    that is what I thought too. What size ski is he on?
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,685 Administrator
    @douglasbrady you know the N1 is basically Nick's design...

• BulldogBulldog Posts: 984 Solid Baller
    OUCH!!!! I hope he is ok.
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
  • estromestrom Posts: 508 Baller
    His second generation design will feature a tip turned up so sharp it will look like the toe of wooden dutch shoes! (although that wouldn't even have helped in this instance)
    edited October 2012
    @Horton, no I didn't, but I do know that Nick is about as incredible of skier as I have ever seen, and I also know that his ski seems a tad short. Some of the best designs need tweaking. Is he on the 66 or the 65? I think Nick is over 6 feet and if he is on the 65, how much would it affect his skiing to jump to the 66? Just a thought is all.
    I ski, therefore I am
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,001 Crazy Baller
    If you get to the slo mo part and double click real fast to stop almost frame by frame it looks really cool! Sorry bout your luck Nick! It's like watchin nascar for the wrecks! You should get Nick a freeze frame of himself right where his head is going in the water--hopefully once in a lifetime picture!
    Brady
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,456 Mega Baller
    edited October 2012
    @douglaslbrady I was thinking the same thing. Just doesn't make sense that Nick and Regina are on the same size ski.

It looks to me like he gets a bet forward causing a little lean lock which results in him pulling a little longer. Looks like he going to recover but the rear of the ski gets lifted when he come out of the trough between the 2nd wake and the white water. In the 39 pass he make his transition at the center of the wake and get ski out in front of him by the white water.
    edited October 2012
    I am pretty sure Nick is on the 65" N1
    Mark Shaffer
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,897
    If Nick or Dave Goode had any concern that he was on the wrong size ski, he would be on the larger one. The window of error gets real small at 41 off.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

travnews
  • jedgelljedgell Posts: 326 Baller
    I can't get the video, the screen says it's been removed by the user.
    Justin Edgell - Bozeman, MT
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 501 Solid Baller
    @Horton, I can't watch the video and get a message "This video has been removed by the user"
    edited October 2012
    @ShaneH, maybe this crash will give them some concern. If the ski was perfect, there would be no need for R&D. I think the Nano is an incredible ski, but if you look at the video, look how close he is to dipping on every ball. A crash like this could easily be a career ender. The question I would love to ask is if he would have been on the same ski --one inch longer--would he have dipped?
    I ski, therefore I am
  • The_KristaThe_Krista Posts: 90 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Sorry @igkya and @jedgell Nick asked me to remove the video because in his words it was intended for "tournament use only"
    Brady[Deleted User]Nick Sullivan
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,897
    edited October 2012
    Watch how much tip pressure Nate puts on his X7 off the apex when he gets deep shortline(39 1/2 and 41 off). Nate is on a 67, which is huge for his 150lb size, and yet he still pushes the tip almost in the water.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

Brady