Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It is time for a new "Who Are You Guys" thread

HortonHorton Posts: 25,176 Administrator
edited March 2017 in Classic Threads
There are a lot of new users around here in the last year so it seems like time to do this again. I am adding in a poll about your skiing level this year.

As always, the poll choices will not fit every skiing level.
If you ski USAWS tournaments or similar your official PB means a lot more but you choose.

It is time for a new "Who Are You Guys" thread 233 votes

Don't ski bouys
4%
D-LawxratedLittleRipperXR6HurricaneCuse919Hershallycat[Deleted User]jsta281Mastercraft81SnSGreen 11 votes
PB is something at 15 off (at any speed)
16%
boarditupEdmundmatthewbrowneast tx skierlundbergusaski1Dacon62travnewseurosportcrashmanwoolly110ksu_skierDALDscholfieldWaternutJoepruncFrankStfriessbuskiestrom 38 votes
PB is something at 22 off
9%
lcarnesh2oskiMrs_MSgalejanskifreakdtm8119dbskiakale15pvysohlidBroussardsunvalleylawOmlandluckyoneswardcoswerv_6Bill22Greg BanishLucaskingshreddspartanskier10 23 votes
PB is something at 28 off
5%
Phil2360otisgCraigLieutenant Dangregysb_dc_mbs_13GregHindRivvymadcityskierSpencer_Shultz7CptOriginalwhitecapsCent 13 votes
PB is something at 32 off
15%
auskierdislandLZywicki1skibrainCamKillerGAJ0004GarnclakenyToddLlondonskierBulldogcobberjipster43norcaliburodltg2ralski4xtcpopofWIskier 35 votes
PB is something at 35 off
18%
hackerthagerEd_ObermeierskibuganimalrawlyChef23John BrooksShortenitKelvinmonza manMattPdanbirchLazJGrayraynMarkTimmJody_SealTylerRPT Mike 42 votes
PB is something at 38 off
15%
tsixamJCHski6jonesMarcoRogerUp NorthSkiRVSteven HainesBoneHeadAlvin_Neffjimbrakebko[Deleted User]slalom frogrobscholl-OFDanEalskiTUPjdarwinDeanoski 36 votes
PB is something at 39 off
12%
HortonscotchipmanMSJblockskiepAlberto SoaresA_BHam_WallaceRichardDoanejrsThan_Bogan9400dave2balllpskier6ballsRazorskier1Pat MNandoMSbigtex2011 28 votes
PB is something at 41 off
3%
Chad_ScottBruce_ButterfieldDragobishop8950MarkMgumpColeGiacopuzzi 7 votes
PB is something at 43 off
0%

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 25,176 Administrator
    Here is the old thread...

I am @Horton. I run this place. I have been skiing for about 40 years. This web site is here to inform and entertain.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

luckyone
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,767 Mega Baller
    Have ran 32 off at 34mph three times - all last ski season. Worked on consistancy this season and it has worked. Now I am looking to get some good instruction and carry that on over to next season and get into 35 off! Maybe bump the speed up to 36 mph too!
    DanEBradyaupatking
    @Skoot1123 I can not change your vote but as I read it your PB is something at 35 unless you ran those 32s and did not try 35. Please say it is not so! The first time I ever ran a 28 I tried a 32 so I could say my PB was something at 32. Same first time I ran 35 and 38.

• CamCam Posts: 292 Solid Baller
    Have never ran 32 off, got close a couple of years ago with a best of 5 buoys a few times, but now if I run 28 off I will usually only get 1 at 32.
    Back to basics next year, but I say that every year.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,473 Crazy Baller
    This has been my best year since ZO came out running 35 4 times in 3 tournaments. First time I've ever run 35 twice in the same tournament. Ended the year on a high note and certainly hope to pick up next year where I left off this year. Of those, I ran 1 @ 38 three times and 1.5 @ 38 once. I've been around the 3 ball a couple of times in practice this year.
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    Horton
  • luckyoneluckyone Posts: 66 Baller
    PB is something at 22 off
    whoz counting.I have a life.
    @horton - it ain't so!!! I have tried 35 a number of times. Got around 1 ball, but don't know that I got back to the gate, so I'll just say a half buoy at 35. I figured since I only ran 32 fully three times I would just say that since it is so few and far between. This next season will be different!!
    Horton
    edited November 2012
    @Skoot1123 if anyone asks your PB is something at 35. If you ski tournaments and your high score is something at 32off that is really your legit score.... but hold your head high, you have gotten something at 35. You worked for it.

BradySkoot1123aupatking
    edited November 2012
    By the way I did not mean for this thread to be all scores. It is really a "who are you guys thread". Where are you from and what is your story?

I always assume everyone knows me but for the new guys: I joke that I am the most famous mediocre skier in the world. It is true and it is a little strange sometimes. This site and you guys have changed my like. Let’s just say I no longer have free time and I am never bored. I hope this site informs and entertains.

I come from a skiing family and have skied my whole life. My dad is a Hall of Fame Award of Distinction Recipient and both of my brothers have national gold medals so there was not really a choice.

I ski a few days a week about 9 months a year. I live in Bakersfield California and work for big oil.

Skoot1123
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    I have run 39 once in my lifetime in practice. Two or three at 39 is more common. Been at this a while, and I try to listen to lots of people, try lots of approaches, and figure out what will work for me. That usually means I spend half of the short MN season screwing around with techniques before settling on what works and skiing. My most common ski partners are my son Mitch, my wife Susan, and my bro Dave (@6balls). I live on a public lake where I ski before work -- usually two sets a day 5 days a week, plus two sets a day on the weekends at a private site. A set is 10-12 passes minimum. I don't like getting wet for 5-6 passes. Yes -- I ski too much!
    Jim Ross
    Bradygump
  • nate93nate93 Posts: 62 Baller
    Nate Stein here. My PB is into 39 many years ago. I stopped skiing in 1999 and just resumed last year. Needless to say I'm not where I once was but have the desire again.
  • madcityskiermadcityskier Posts: 112 Baller
    Was never that great in the first place. Too busy now. For an old offensive lineman around 285lbs on a torn up knee I feel like I do OK.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,982 Mega Baller
    edited November 2012
    I am Nathaniel "Than" Bogan. 41 y.o. Finally ran -38 in a tournament in 2011, but was a bit down (in tournaments) in 2012.

I live in Mass and work as a low-level algorithms and speed optimization guy for the world's largest "machine vision" company. I have two young daughters who like skiing but lack the passion (so far). My wife likes skiing when she can make the time, but usually has other priorities.

Beyond skiing and family, my other hobbies are bass fishing, game theory, Dungeons and Dragons Online (my avatar picture is a Warforged from that game), and over-thinking. The folks at Goode recently described me as "the thinking man's skier." Yes on the thinking, but my skiing is still very much a work in progress!

I enjoy formal competition, and have participated in competitions in all sorts of sports and psuedo-sports over my lifetime. I was especially invovled in track (HJ and TJ) and Magic: The Gathering. But I'm really not very competitive -- I just like testing myself in a controlled, measured environment.

I started waterskiing when I was 5, but I didn't really "catch the bug" until I was about 15 and started getting strong enough to tackle the buoys a bit more seriously. Then early in college I went to The Swiss Ski School and found out just how amazingly bad I was, and from that point forward I have been obsessed with being as good as a scrawny nerd can possibly be at this sport!
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Brady
  • jrsjrs Posts: 99 Baller
    I'm John Shealy, a member of the Ski Club of the Palm Beaches at Okeeheelee Park. I've been skiing for 30 years and still trying to figure it out. I'm also a Senior Driver and Senior Pan AM Judge. In my spare time, I'm a product development engineering.
    I'm Scott Brinkmeyer and just joined BOS in late July. Current BOS addict and skiing addict. My wife shares the passion I have with skiing, not sure that she will become the BOS addict that I am. Have two daughters, one is 2.5 years the other is ~9 weeks. Can't wait to get them skiing! I have been skiing since I was 11, started the skiiing the course in 2007 when we bought an inboard. Hooked on the slalom course ever since. Other passions are barefooting, hockey, fishing, snow-skiing and working out. P90X and P90X2 are awesome! Enjoy getting to "know" folks on BOS and hope to meet some more in the future. I am a design engineer at a company that helps @horton 's big oil company extract that black gold!
  • Phil2360Phil2360 Posts: 367 Baller
    edited November 2012
    Lookin' forward to a bit more than the Fortnightly skiing time table this season.

Hoping to get back to at least a couple of trips out per week or better again.
    Want to get 22 back solidly under my belt again in the next few weeks & then trying
    to topple my 4 @ 28 before the years out.

My 2 boys are now at the age where they are demanding their priorities on their week with the mother, So that means more skiing!
    Kirsten
    @TylerR,

Gotta agree, "I used to be a lot better than I am now" too.
    Hate being out of a the groove & back out on the "Red".
    15 always felt like a shitty length compared to 22.

Hmm, might have to look over there....
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,829 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited November 2012
    I'm a family doc in MN in a 100 doc group where I have a 1/3 time management role as well. Three classes to go for my MBA degree. I see outpatients, inpatients, do ER work and lots of procedures. I like a stiff gin and tonic and my coffee so thick I can eat it with a fork.

For recreation obviously I ski and was strictly recreational til college then was bit by the buoy-bug. I also enjoy general aviation, SCUBA diving, high HP vehicles of all sorts, and used to compete in bench press (440 lb state record in the 198 lb class). I still hit the gym in the winter, but not as heavy/hard. My son is into lifting now which makes it more fun again.

My wife and kids are not big skiers, but they enjoy living on and playing in the water in various ways; swimming/tubing/wakeboarding/skiing/kneeboarding. We're a tight-knit family and it's fun to watch 'em grow and change. Geez, I said tight-knit...my wife loves to knit...Freudian slip.

My primary ski partner is @cowtipperguy at the swamp (a small un-used public) where we have 2 courses and a SN196 w/PP classic. I ski a bigger public and another seldom used public once weekly with two other guys with similar boats/speed controls. My bro is @razorskier1 and I really should try to ski more w/him. We talk about skiing nearly every day in season, and I owe much of my skiing, lifting, and a host of other things to him (mainly due to his beatings in our youth:)

Practice PB this year of 3 @ 39, and tourney PB this year of 2.5 @ 39. Best ski season of my life at age 40, hoping for more to come. Thanks to @Horton as I'm a fully addicted Baller. Thanks to the Ballers for online friendship/advice that continues to contribute to my passion for skiing.

DAVE
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    BradySkoot1123
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,850
    edited November 2012
    I'm Shane Hill, 42 yo, no children that the Texas Attorney General's office have notified me of, Project Manager for a company that sells and implements large telephone networks, live in Cypress, Tx about 30 minutes NW of Houston. Skied recreationally here and there until I came back to Houston in 2005. First tournament in September of 06. Think I ran 2 at 15 off at 32mph in it. Tournament pb is [email protected] Practice PB is [email protected] Thankfully, my best friend and ski partner is a [email protected]@36mph open rated skier who also owns a Nautique and Mastercraft dealership. So I get good boats and good coaching.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• BradyBrady Posts: 1,057 Mega Baller
    edited November 2012
    PB is something at 15 off (at any speed)
    Hey, Doug Brady from Utah, with 4 children ages 12 to 2 (although one of them looks amazingly similar to @ShaneH) and a great wife who puts up with all my crap. Kids are all addicted to the water, but not so for my wife. Give her a good book and she is in hog heaven.

I have always been active in sports and because of my size and good looks, and my stupidity have always been able to excel. I played college football for BYU and then on to play Rugby for the US Eagles B-side. Before I started this obsession again I was a scratch golfer and was a professional long driver for 6 years. It was great fun going to different exhibitions sites around America and pounding the shit out of a golf ball and making money in the process. It culminated to a yearly trip down to Mesquite for the nationals to see who was taking the most steroids at any given time. Best I placed was 18th.

I own a designer jean company that sells jeans to women throughout the Country in a home-party atmosphere. We have about 10,000 women across America schlepping jeans, hence the reason I travel so much. If you ever go to my Facebook page, most of my friends are women!

I just started to actively get involved with slalom again last year. Got rid of my fast boat and now have a ps197. I am obsessed with this site, with you awesome guys on this site, and with becoming really good on the course. One thing about me is that I am very driven, to a fault, and I am finding that skiing the balls is a great cure for my addictive personality and for my obsession. And I have to confess it kills me to be so crappy!!! That will change.

I want to also echo my sentiments to @Horton for putting up such an incredible format for a bunch of people who have a common love that can come and share and grow and develop each other's talents. Bravo.
    I ski, therefore I am
    6ballsKirstenSkoot1123DanE
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,931 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Scot Chipman, still living in Utah and 44 yrs old, president of the Utah Water Ski Club since 2002. Married with two kids (4 and 14), I'm lucky that my wife does like to water ski. I have a degree in Meteorology and have worked as a weather forecaster for the last 14 years up until this spring, now looking for a new career direction in life!

Started skiing open water in 1990, course in 1995, finally ran 38' in a tournament in 2009 at Santan in AZ. I have only ran 38' a handful of times in a tournament since and my tournament PB is 1.5 @ 39', practice PB is 2.5 @ 39'.

I desperately want to live on a private lake so I can ski more in less time, developers needed and the demand is high in Utah. I currently ski on Utah Lake which is public which takes me 30 minutes to drive to then another 20 in the boat to get to the course.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
    Brady
  • E_TE_T Posts: 550 extraterrestrial trouble maker
    Im E.T 30 years young and @Horton just thinks he runs this site....
    E.T. phone home!
    I like reese's pieces

"Leave nothing on the dock"~AM
    MattP
    @ShaneH what about other states Attorney Generals?

Brady
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,850
    edited November 2012
    No, I'm good there too apparently. So far. ;) I've not been to Utah in at least 13 years so Doug's kid looking like me is pure coincidence.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,383 Crazy Baller
    I'm JP Polsak. My grandpa was PJ Lawless - a way cooler name. Ironically Polsak is loosely translated in Slavanian to mean "outside the law". My wife speaks English as a third language and when she pronounces our last name it comes out "ballsack". That should tell you all you need to know about my family.

I started skiing open water when I was eight and just finished my second full season skiing the course. I started skiing tournaments as soon as I could squeak through the course and I can't recommend that enough. I've learned more and made more friends in the past two summers than the 43 previous.

Nothing spells leisure more than a day in the boat!
    6ballsBradySkoot1123
    @scotchipman,
    Don't suppose you can "Fix" this weekends weather down here?
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,931 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I wish I could control the weather then I would be rich and living on my man-made ski lake!
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
    KirstenBradyPhil2360
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,172
    PB is something at 35 off
    I have two boys ages 6 and 9 who both enjoy the water. Sadly, they enjoy it most when a wakeboard or tube is present, but we're working on them to get them to like the ski. We have lived in a ski community on the west side of Houston for seven years. My wife has come to understand that the sport levels me out enough that she has come to love the place too. I run a sales team for a data storage technology company that keeps me on the road quite a bit, and I do my best to find time to ski amidst the chaos of a silly schedule. And the extra extra time goes back to BOS
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***