Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think in feet or meters?

HortonHorton Posts: 25,491 Administrator
edited May 2016 in Classic Threads
Do you think about rope lengths as ...

Do you think in feet or meters? 272 votes

Feet off
76%
hackerskidawgEd_ObermeierDWDaveDmopowpowjedgellski6jonesmlangeskibuglagdawgscotchipmandislandblockChuck_DickeyUp NorthanimalA_Bsixballrawly 207 votes
Meters
21%
auskiereleeskitsixamandybCammonza man9400AliJörgen JanssonskialexvgeorgelondonskiergalejanNick SullivanJody_SealralnzcabbagepopofMJ1DUSkier 58 votes
colors
2%
HortonLZywicki1MattPZmanBRYBradyJuanJ 7 votes

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

luckyone

Comments

• RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,976 Mega Baller
    Feet off
    as a skier I think in feet off, but as a Scorer I think in meters
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,973 Mega Baller
    colors
    I am somewhat in the same boat as @richarddoane.
    Having worked with a European skiers ski school and spending a lot of time in the boat with him over a few years I picked up meters. When I come home my boat crew looks at me funny when I ask for the next line in meters. I guess it depends on the company. With scoring and running ballofscores I use meters in the scores and in the archive. I think of both at the same time usually every time. I am score bipolar you can say.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,291 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited December 2012
    You should add..Do you think in feet or meters? Fourth choice;..... It should be feet, but "on" the line not "off". Maybe that's not the point in the thread but had to explain and explain again to non skiing spectators, and there were lots, again and agian at Soaked what the "off" was. Makes even less sence when they start at 32 "off". Way easier to say the rope was 43 feet long and now it's only 40. Got lots of big eye opening "Oh..I get it now!!! " responces. Why or how the sport ever got caught up in "off" is beyond me. But it stunts the understanding of non skiers a great deal IMHO.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    Skoot1123ScarletArrowMISkier
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,491 Administrator
    colors
    Sorry @MattP BallOfSpray is not the UN or the IWWF.

This is the land of the free and the home of the brave. We talk about skiing in feet and MPH because that is what George Washington and Abraham Lincoln would have done. The USSR used meters and look at what happened to them. Do you want to be like France or Greece? NO!

Darn it I think I am going to put on some blue jeans and drink a warm Budweiser from a can in my Chevrolet.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Skoot1123Alberto SoaresNick SullivanJJVDMZNIlivetoski
    colors
    @Horton yeah yeah yeah I know. The only reason I "like" meters is what @wish is talking about. For the common man off makes no sense, but the meters "on" do. Why when the IWSF went to meters on did the us not just go to feet on?
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,578 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    Meters
    The metric system rocks! The USA is totally backwards sticking with english units. Even England doesn't use english units anymore. Let's see, there are 12 inches to a foot and 16 ounces to a pint. Or is it 16 ozzes to a lib? Nothing scales rationally or makes sense relative to other properties. When doing science or engineering I work in metric and convert to english if needed.
    Waterskiing in the US is 100% english rope off. Some scorers have both listed on worksheets but always tell the US driver in feet off and mph. The course isn't any easier measured metric...
    Eric
    ps fix the typo on the title
    jipster43
    colors
    @eleeski good catch, fixed. We all know @Horton can't spell!
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,578 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    Meters
    @Horton is a bit deranged on his measurement tastes too. But he posts good photos.
    Eric
    ps the poll still has the same typo. Kind of like english units or a qwerty keyboard, it's hard to fix all the screwy things that get out there.
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,258 Mega Baller
    Understand both, just too old to change.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • tsixamtsixam Posts: 373 Baller
    Meters
    The only time I use feet is on this board.
    Tsixam
  • DWDW Posts: 1,833 Crazy Baller
    Feet off
    Feet off because the people in the boat understand that. Awkward units and backwards orientation, but that is common convention in the USA. Gladly say feet off and pay $3.50 a gallon for fuel.
    colors
    @eleeski sorry can't edit a poll, but changed the title of the thread.
    @DW $3.50?? I paid $3.10 last night!
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,491 Administrator
    colors
    @MattP so looks like I win

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,620 Mega Baller
    Feet off
    The metric system will never catch on.
    Mark Shaffer
    rayn9400
  • 94009400 Posts: 565 Crazy Baller
    Meters
    meters because I'm a TC and it's just easier in all official capacities. But at the handle end of the rope, I speak in feet....unless I'm skiing with someone not from the US.
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    Feet off
    I would like to find the idiot who decided to take a rope length in meters and convert it to a length minus 75 feet. Really? I realize it makes perfect sense when you start from a 75 ft rope but to me it's one of those ideas that's brilliant until you take a step back, look at it again, and think that's a terrible idea... We don't say "plus 2 or plus 6" when talking about boat speed.

That said, one place it backfires is when the skier who normally skies 34mph tries a new ski, doesn't make his opening pass at 28 off, or is tired from the first set and says "give me 32". Uhhh did you want to go down to 32mph or bump up to 32 off?
    JJVDMZN
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,980 Mega Baller
    edited December 2012
    Feet off
    I think to most of the folks on this board, 36 24 36 means something..... and it is not centimeters!
    auskierJJVDMZN
  • alex38alex38 Posts: 454 Baller
    in reading these posts i realize that i refer in feet "off" and meters "on", which is weird in and of itself, not a big whoop until im trying to explain it to someone that does not ski. maybe ill start asking for my rope length in meters "on"-will definitely throw some people off!
  • XR6HurricaneXR6Hurricane Posts: 327 Baller
    Feet off
    The metric system should have stayed in Europe, along with zebra mussels and front wheel drive cars.
    Feet off
    I wonder if we need a new poll that counts the number of freckles on the picture that @Horton posted in this thread????
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,258 Mega Baller
    What freckles?
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    edited December 2012
    Feet off
    The kids must have had my default view zoomed in.....
  • DUSkierDUSkier Posts: 135 Baller
    Meters
    @auskier thats bound to upset someone here!! =)
    Nigel Sparrow
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,413 Mega Baller
    edited December 2012
    Meters
    Both! and multi task!
    And Horton don't forget spotted owls make great taco's! As does Manatee!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• ralral Posts: 1,682 Mega Baller
    Meters
    I think in meters as a judge, but in "shortenings" (or maybe the word should be "clipping"?) when talking to other local skiers...
    Rodrigo Andai
  • hackerhacker Posts: 49 Baller
    edited December 2012
    Feet off
    English units rock! 12's are where its at... Think of the metric alternative's:
    20 hours a day?
    10 months a year? (Well maybe, if we get rid of Jan/Feb)
    A 5 pack of beer???????
    These numbers just don't work....
    Jim Ecker - Founder and President of the Hacker's club
    bojans
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,039 Mega Baller
    Feet off
    Veering way off topic, but anyhow: 10 hrs a day, 100 minutes per hour,100 seconds per minute actually would work out surprisingly well, with seconds being a similar length to what they are now. (Currently 86,400 seconds per day; "metric time" would be 100,000 seconds per day.)
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan