I'm thinking we need a new boat...

doonezdoonez Posts: 150 Baller
I have been looking at a 1993 Ski Nautique with 500 hours on the clock. Do any of you have experience with this model? How does it perform? Anything that this model/year was notorious for? Thanks!
MattP

Comments

• A_BA_B Posts: 4,047 Mega Baller
    I put a few hundred hours on two different ones, a 92 and 93. They were rock solid in the course, with good slalom wakes and trick table. Spray wasn't bad either.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,675 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    If there was wood stringers or floor, be aware of soft spots, loose engine mounts and loose pylon mounts.

How about a list of what to look for in a used boat. Things to watch out for, questions to ask owner. Trailer items to look over etc.....

Perhaps somewhere perminent on the site sence the boat buying question comes up often.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    doonez
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 788 Crazy Baller
    1993 was the first year for all-glass construction (actually, I think there are a few minor panels still made with plywood, but the main part of the floor and stringers are all composite)
  • doonezdoonez Posts: 150 Baller
    Just realised that it is in fact a '94. The seller doesn't know this however
    How does he not know that? What other "..little.." things is unaware of that you should know about?
    @Wish true true - it would need to be checked out. However I am more interested in what people thought of the overall model rather than this particular boat. I worked out that it was not a 1993 because it has a 1994 windscreen on it
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 908 Crazy Baller
    I have a 94 Open Bow. Skis good. I was probably skiing 34 mph 15 off when I got it and it's gotten me into 35 off.

I pulled a neighbors son at ~ 26 mph long line and he really struggled. He was used to a 94 Prostar. If you'll be pulling slower speeds and longer lines it might not be ideal.

Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    Thanks @ski6jones we would be skiing at that sort of speed quite a lot unfortunately because we are often getting people into the course. How bad is it? I'm skiing into 22off at 36mph at the moment so should be alright at that speed?
    Good idea @Wish. A good run on the lake with some ski pulls can answer a lot of questions.

Some potential $ checks:
    Compression check, if running isn't solid.
    When was last spark plug change. 2 summers should be about it.
    Leaks around the manifold risers, could cause water to get into crankcase.
    Last impeller change.
    Steering tightness. Does it have a grease zerk fitting or need repack?
    Shaft log dripping or pouring water out?
    If it has a heater, when was the last core changed out? They last about 3 years in my world.
    Any signs of rust under engine? Shows if it has had water sitting in the bilge a lot.
    Blower hose can get dry and develop holes over time.
    Trailer brakes working or froze?
    Bunk carpet worn? Hitting in more than one place - could warp hull over time.

Just to name a few...
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 908 Crazy Baller
    Unfortunately I have only that one experience to relate. Most of the guys I ski with have either no kids or grown kids. And since I was never skiing behind this boat at that speed I don't have much to add.

I know the ProStar the kid was used to in that year is a VERY highly regarded boat. Not sure what other options you have and what's available in your price range. Can you get a test ride and take a beginner with you as a test subject?

For me and my skiing I couldn't be happier with it. Solid, reliable, etc.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    doonez
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,009 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I was a get into deep 32 off skier at 36 mph who had a 15 off opener at the time that boat was a promo. Was not a big fan at 15 n 22. Any way you can swing a '97?
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,379 Mega Baller
    @6balls - neighbor on the lake has a '97 196 - nice boat. The '94 prostar is still boss IMO, a worthy purchase.

Anyone slalom an old 2001 hull recently for comparison?
    Second the 97. THE best long line slow speed wakes.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,009 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @bracemaker, also agree with you that a '91-'94 MC 190 is a great bargain boat.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 876 Mega Baller
    edited January 2013
    The 90-96 ("No Wake Zone") hull on the SN is a fine hull. 93+ have composite stringers. IMO 93 is the sweet spot since it has the "classic" graphics plus the composite stringers. Never cared for the 94-96 graphics. I owned a 90' for 3 seasons and we were always pulling slow beginner slalom skiers at the time- my wife and I! We liked the wake just fine. I just recently skied one in the course last summer as a "better" skier- 15 to 28 off at 34mph and had NO problem with the wake, and that's skiing a TXi, a TSC1 (00 SN), RLXi (06), and RCB (04) all on a regular basis. Wake at 15 and 22 stood up to the modern boats, no problem at all there. The driving position on these 90-96 SNs is amazing and continues to be a selling point for all SN's since in my opinion. The 91-94 MC driver ergonomics and sightlines are almost wacky in comparison, though I won't argue that the 91-94 MC wake is smaller/softer than the SN from the same era.

As for checking out the boat- mechanicals on these boats are not terribly expensive to replace or overhaul. What will kill you is the interior skins/foam and any glass work/wood rot on stringers (90-92). Heck, even dropping in an entire bobtail motor or trans is not a huge deal and these are far from exotic powerplants. If the interior and exterior are well looked after I'd have to see massive mechanical problems to skip on the boat.
    6balls
  • brodybrody Posts: 301 Baller
    If you want know for sure what year it is, check the vin, the last 2 numbers will tell you what year it is.... Windscreens can be changed
    Here's a link to it
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=445429503
    note: the price is NZD and inboards are generally more expensive over here
    With a barefoot boom,,you know the engine should be broken in!
  • woolly110woolly110 Posts: 121 Baller
    im sure thats been on there for about a year. i remember seeing it when we started to sell our family boat.
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 876 Mega Baller
    edited January 2013
    Here's me in 2004 completing my first pass ever behind that hull. Should give you a good idea of how soft the wake is- this is at about 28mph, probably a little slower depending on how I had the speedos calibrated.

Another from 2004- terrible quality but you get the idea- hardly a bobble over the wake and I was a very weak skier at the time.

• BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 602 Crazy Baller
    I sold my '95 last year, due only to a mid-life crisis. The boat was fantastic, had a very good wake, was great to drive, and was a very solid boat. I skied behind TSC1 hulls regularly and never skied any better behind them. Once a friend bought his '08 196, I noticed a difference in wake softness. Queue mid-life crisis.
  • dipdip Posts: 10 Baller
    I've had a 93 for 14 years. I'm a 28-32 off, 34mph skier, free skiing at 35 and 38 off (36mph). The wake at 35off begins to become a trough. 32 and 28 are more comfortable to me than the much newer Malibus and MC's I also ski behind. The pull isn't as strong as a newer boat (only 240hp) but all around I love mine. I echo the driver position comments. It is comfortable but roomy, good view, the windscreen ends before the seat which I like.
    The 94 may have a Pro-tec ignition system. If it does it may have a short life span left. SKIDIM (and others) sell Mallory conversion kits that are easy to install (about $450 parts cost).
    One day I'll upgrade to a 2006-2009 196 but until then I've had no problems with the reliability, functionality or skiablity of mine.
  • rodltg2rodltg2 Posts: 1,051 Crazy Baller
    Is my math correct, $20750 US for it? Ouch , your not kidding. I'm assuming you dont want to wait and probably a hassle, but wouldn't it be cheaper to import one?
    @rodltg2 yes you are right about how expensive they are. Importing works out at about the same in most cases once you consider all the costs :(
    How about shove two in container and sell one .
    I like your thinking but that's when it starts to become a hassle! I am definitely jealous of how cheap dd boats are in the US
    edited January 2013
    I know some guys do this Australia for a profit. Not sure if import tax and shipping makes it unprofitable in NZ. The key is to have a trust worthy buyer in the states. Two of my boats went to Australia for resale. There is a shipper based in Compton , Ca who specializes in shipping " toys" to Australia.
  • Steven_HainesSteven_Haines Posts: 1,012 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @rodltg2, i sent u a msg about a '01 Nautique in Canyon Lake that u might be interested in.
    If its the same one on SIA. I would totally go for it but my budget is 12-14k
  • Steven_HainesSteven_Haines Posts: 1,012 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Ya... i think he'd go to 17. It's immaculate! I've never seen the upholstery or carpet because it's always covered with towels. I've skied many sets behind it. You wouldn't be disappointed!