Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trolling motor on Ski Nautique

SkihackSkihack Posts: 448 Baller
edited January 2013 in Boat Talk
Due to the economy, I really couldn't keep both the Nautique and the bass boat, so the bass boat had to go. Now, I am planning to do some fishing with the Nautique. Has anyone mounted a trolling motor on a Nautique up front? I wish I had bought an open bow, but I never thought I would start fishing with the Nautique. Have been duck hunting with it though.

Comments

• skihardskihard Posts: 555 Crazy Baller
    LOL............really? A CC for hunting and fishing? That is funny sh*t!!! I don't care who you are?
    2014 Carbon Pro, Radar Pro Build Lithium Vapor w/ Vapor Carbitex Boa Bindings - life's about working hard and then having fun on the water! I am - are you?
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,626 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

MattPWaternutksu_skier
  • skihackerskihacker Posts: 315 Baller
    First time there is a fish-gut or bood oops you will need to post pictures. Have you considered a canoe or kayak?
  • rodltg2rodltg2 Posts: 1,051 Crazy Baller
    Here is a pic of an MC Xtar with one. This guy got pretty flamed for it as I am sure you will too here on BOS. I don't know why people get so worked up about what people do and how they use their boat. Its your boat, your money enjoy it how you want to.

I'm probably in the minority here, but boats are too expensive and cool to just use them as a private ski lake slalom tug. Get out on the public lake or river. Open her up, let her run for awhile! Cruising the river and stopping at cool restuarants is fun! Camping or houseboating for a week with the kids and friends, so many cool things to do with a boat other than getting dragged up and down the ski lake every weekend.

photo 300752_10150748225520106_449679_n_zps3c82be55.jpg

Texas6XR6HurricaneDacon62
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,817 Mega Baller
    @skimech - That almost requires a "$5 fine"!

All kidding aside, have never considered putting a trolling motor on a ski boat. If you have grab rails you may be able to rig something up to put between the grab rails on both sides (if you have an open bow) and atach the motor to whatever you rigged up.
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 1,008 Crazy Baller
    Use your cooler as a live well!!
    lol
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
  • estromestrom Posts: 511 Baller
    I just tell my wife to paddle faster or slower depending on the current. (Since she doesn't visit this site, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)
  • estromestrom Posts: 511 Baller
    @skimech, please provide a pic of the boat in full duck blind mode. How did you rig the camo set up?
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,227 Mega Baller
    They quit making the Fish Nautique back in the 80s.
    Shut up and ski
    ksu_skier
  • skihartskihart Posts: 493 Solid Baller
    @skimech, you are my hero! I fish out of my boat all the time. I am no extreme bass master or anything but I love to see the look on the fishermen faces when I reel in a 6lb bass in the same boat they curse at when it's running down the course at 34mph....LOL
    Now hunting in it is a whole different level! Lets see pics....
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,714 Mega Baller
    Slip some PVC over the pylon and hang a sheet.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,626 Administrator
    Fishing from a wakeboard boat is fine. Trolling motor will not hurt the shore lines. I think that is what we should do with all wakeboard boats.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Ed_ObermeierXR6Hurricane
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 1,008 Crazy Baller
    @Horton I AGREE!!!!
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,581 Mega Baller
    I love fishing and I've thought about putting a trolling motor on the back that is removable. Pull the platform off and install the trolling motor.
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,549 Mega Baller
    I have fast trolled with my 196 at just above idle, 650 rpm or so. Have had good luck with the [email protected] about 4-5 mph. Never considered trolling motor. Whatever trips your trigger!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Northerns as in Pike or Minnesotains?
    Shut up and ski
    Pike my good man, p-I-k-e!
    That was for our southern friends.
    Shut up and ski
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    At least you didn't sell the Nauty so you could fish more in the bass boat. Kudos! Send pics
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,339 Crazy Baller
    They quit making the Fish Nautique back in the 80s.
    Dumb question time again @MS. Is this Fish Nautique of which you speak like a running joke, an urban legend type thing, or did this thing actually exist? I'd like to see some pictures.
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,144 Mega Baller
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • bogboybogboy Posts: 699 Solid Baller
    Sometimes my s/n smells like fish.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,714 Mega Baller
    There are several available "bolt on" style versions, for attachment above your outboard's wake plate, or stern drive.

I would imagine if mounted below the swimplatform up near the hull. they would allow you to use at idle, but would plane out at slalom speed.
  • ejjejj Posts: 81 Baller
    I love it. Use your boat. Catch fish. Take the kids out, whatever. I never make fun of people out on the water; they are enjoying the same view I am. That said, I did see a pontoon boat last year with chain-link fence as the rail and resin furniture on the deck. It was a sight.
    @bogboy What kind of f I s h ?
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,118 Mega Baller
    http://www.boattest.com/resources/view_News.aspx?NewsID=4338

Mastercraft factory making fishing boats ?
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • XR6HurricaneXR6Hurricane Posts: 327 Baller
    Need bow mount for bass fishing if that's what you're going to do with it. It's too bad it's closed bow with no grab rails. At one time someone was making a bracket that attached to the grab rails and bow eye, but it was for the clamp on stern-mount motors. And Minn Kota made a 665MX that was a clamp-on with the PowerDrive control that would have worked great (though it only had 28 lbs. of thrust). But I don't think anyone makes a motor like that now anyway.
  • travnewstravnews Posts: 187 Baller
    I watched someone on a lake trolling by idling their inboard/outboard and dragging 5 gallon buckets to slow down the boat to trolling speed. I don't fish, so I don't know if that really works very good.

My brother has tried to talk me into letting him fish out of my boat - never gonna happen.
  • SkihackSkihack Posts: 448 Baller
    We use the camo net as cover when duck hunting. We now use a new wider and stable jon boat for duck hunting. I was tired of trying to duck hunt in a tiny jonboat and fell out one time. Water was cold as #$@$. Nautique was nice to shoot from but you can't get in shallow water. I mostly just striper fish in deep water and spend most my time out on the swim platform. Tough to bass fish although I have got where I can cast out very far. Yes, there were Fish Nautiques back in the day. Nice boats for deep sea and fresh water fishing. Another boat called Shamrock was a smaller fishing boat. It was direct drive like a Nautique with the center console acting as the motor cover/box. I recall the Shamrock had a pleasure craft marine engine in it. Like the Fish Nautique, they are hard to find but they are a real gem stacked up against the mechanical troubles that eventually come with Outboard engines. Too old to ski but not to fish:)
  • Phil2360Phil2360 Posts: 367 Baller
    edited January 2013
    Here you go Ed!

They even accomodate Bikini Girls, something not seen in many fishing boats!