Waterproof Video Camera

T8skierT8skier Posts: 82 Baller
I know there has been multiple discussions on this topic, but I went to Best Buy and noticed the Contour and other GoPro like cameras that are smaller with more accessories and cheaper. I then went home and started doing more research to see what else is out there. There are a lot of choices.
I use a video tracker and was thinking the Contour or a style like that would be better than a camera that mounts higher.
Waterproof a bonus, but don't need it to go 30 feet underwater.
Any reviews other than the GoPro? I have read enough about that product.

Comments

• gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 644 Solid Baller
    It would be great if you can share your results?

I would prioritize a lot of optical zoom and high bps for better slow motion.
    (Plan to use it also for alpine skiing)
    Small, durable, at least spray (Ballof spray =0) resistant.
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Baller
    edited May 2013
    Deleted.
    Moggie
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,703 Mega Baller
    FYI - there is a different set of functions/features for great boat video vs. great on-body video.

For from the boat, you really want these features:
    Optical zoom (the lens moves in or out)
    Steady/anti-shake
    Manual focus
    BRIGHT LCD or good view finder
    Standard tripod screw mount

For on-body, you want waterproof, wide angle, fixed focal, etc.

Thus, GoPro, Contour, and all of the similar devices are for on-body video.

Standard ol' JVC, Sony cam corders etc work better for boat video.

For either application, having high frame rate and resolution will give you more options for post editing. 60+ fps will allow you to playback in slow motion. 1080p will give you great HD video.

Be wary of digital zoom. It is nothing more than cropping off the outer edges of what your camera is seeing. Thus, you get a grainier choppy resolution.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    Zman
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,703 Mega Baller
    I should have added for in boat video... By using manual, optical focus, you can setup your camera's focus for the line length of the skier. This is better because some auto-focus systems will start adjusting the focus during the pass if the skier moves in and out of the autofocus sensor area.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,010 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @MrB Wow... you aint kidding. If I had the funds, Drift Ghost would be the cam of choice. If I had unlimited funds....HERO3: Silver Edition Camera & Phantom Quadcopter with GoPro Mount Kit.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • MrBMrB Posts: 146 Baller
    @I just bought a ASTAK ACTION PRO 3 for $225 from EBAY. Seems very similar to GO PRO but has a lot of different mounts, LCD screen and a remote. Just set it up on a E Z CAM pylon mount that I got from OB. Seems easy to use.
  • mleboismlebois Posts: 1 New Baller
    Beautiful! I found similar products on this website: www.nauticexpo.com/boat-manufacturer/underwater-video-camera-2210.html
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 970 Mega Baller
    I have an Olympus TG-830. It does 120fps at 720p, although only 20 seconds at a shot. But that's just about perfect for 34 and 36. You press the separate video record button to start it and it will stop itself at 20 seconds. It's one of their rugged water-proof, freeze-proof, crush proof cameras. 5x optical zoom. The one complaint some have had about it is noise from auto-focus in videos... that doesn't apply to the 120fps mode because there is no sound in that mode. It's about $200.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    They have a newer TG-850, but it looks like the 120fps is only 640x480 and it has a wider angle lense.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    Here's a tg-830 sample using our new camera-mount-on-the-cheap, ala http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/comment/165498 :

Is it time to ski, yet?
    @OB thanks for the nudge to get the balls down. We were just talking about it two days ago - we really need to get it done.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    @OB you'll be happy to know I added water to the balls today. Here's the same 3 ball were the fall occurred. Much better:
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    Green slime :) . We don't have that all the time, just a couple week period during the summer.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
  • FSSPCatFSSPCat Posts: 89 Baller
    I always just buy waterproof diving cases for my phone that have interchangeable lenses. Always been happy with them.