Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you usually refer to people or books to learn tricks or do you teach yourself?

JTWJTW Posts: 8 Baller
edited May 2013 in Trick

Do you usually refer to people or books to learn tricks or do you teach yourself? 17 votes

I usually let someone teach me.
52% 9 votes
I teach myself.
47% 8 votes

Comments

• klindyklindy Posts: 2,082 Mega Baller
    Always better to have someone who knows what to look for gbe you guidance. Books or videos of others an watching live all can help visualize and understand what's supposed to happen. But it's rare when you know exactly what you did wrong or didn't do by yourself. Sometimes even the simplest help can reap huge rewards. Notice I didn't say the "coach" needs to be able to do whatever trick you're learning (but it helps).
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,972 Mega Baller
    when in doubt, call @eleeski
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,513 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    @JTW Coaching, whether from books or schools just gives inspiration. It will take hours alone on the water to refine what you hear.

Books and tapes are entertaining but my best insights have come from just hanging with good trickers. Kirk is my best coach ever - while his coaching is technically solid, his attitude of having fun, showing off and improving is infectious and makes everybody around him better. Stan, Camillo or any of the ski schools give a similar uplift of your skiing. Get as much quality coaching as you can. But apply that with your own hours on the water.

Don't overlook the value of dry land practice. Tie off a rope and go through your tricks off the water. I really enjoy doing tricks on the trampoline (no ski, just the rope). No driver, no boat gas and no time pressure in dry land practice.

Ski long enough sets to upset everyone at your lake and you will improve. Do get some formal instruction from time to time. Play around all the time. Have fun.

Eric
  • jaredH20jaredH20 Posts: 90 Baller
    learnt most of my tricks by watching youtube, the few times I have had coaching it has made the world of a difference.
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,301 Mega Baller
    I'm self taught but not by choice. No one in my family tricks so aside from some tips I pick up at tournaments I've been slowly working my score up by myself.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,970 Mega Baller
    You talking slalom tricks, like deep water backwards starts, to tic tocs?
    I'm confused.... Tricks?
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,082 Mega Baller
    @AB there are a few of us that take a set or two on a short board. I'm fact @Horton has a whole section devoted to Tricks. :)
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,970 Mega Baller
    edited May 2013
    Keith, I will sheepishly admit to turning a trick or two on an EP a very long time ago, but this has to be the first post about trick skiing since a Monza was a top line slalom ski....

We had a guy in our club that consistently placed on the podium at Regionals in trick. He typically went to a ski school at the end of the year to pickup new stuff he was trying out and developed that into his run for the next season.

Internet Video today has changed the game for all aspects of the sport. Much easier to watch video clips over and over on slow mo to see how the top guys setup their runs and tricks.

He took video of his runs and would analyze them as well.
  • texas_slalom_tricktexas_slalom_trick Posts: 63 Baller
    I'm always watching people at tournaments,and online to see what tricks they do,how I could improve on a trick,there form,and there style, and I go off that as well as advice people give me to teach my self New tricks, and improve on what I already have in my runs. Bad habit of mine is to also watch pro skateboarders and wakeboarders,and wakesurfers. That's where a lot of my own style comes from.