1999 Ski Nautique Electrical starting problem

CC1999skierCC1999skier Posts: 3 New Baller
I purchased a used 1999 Ski Nautique and have problems with the electrical system. If I use the boat on non-consecutive days I don't have the problem, but if I use it 2-3 days in a row, on the second day the boat looses electrical power to everything
(inconsistently, sometimes it will start right up) when I turn the key. It will usually come back after several turns of the key. On the third day I had to get a tow back to the dock after 40 minutes of trying to figure out the problem. I replaced the ignition, the kill switch and the relay at the back of the motor and haven't had success fixing the problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• DanEDanE Posts: 864 Crazy Baller
    edited June 2013
    @CC1999skier When you turn the ignition on, do you hear the fuel pumps run for 2 seconds?
    If not you might have the same problem I had the other day (same boat).
    Check the post 85 on the relay that feeds ECU (think it´s the relay closest to the ECU) for volts.
    Should have 12 V when ign. turned on. (may have to feed a small test lamp from the post to stress the circuit enough to show a loss of voltage)
    I only had 3-4 volts, then voltage increased to almost twelve when I turned the key to starter mode.
    Had a bad connection at a diode that´s hidden in the harness, there´s actually two diodes, won´t go into why there is two but one was faulty, i replaced them both to avoid future problems.
    Your description of it coming back after several turns of the (starter motor I presume) is very consistent with this particular fault.
  • davemacdavemac Posts: 448 Baller
    My buddy has been going thru a similar nagging, intermittent problem w/ his SN GT40. Doesn't sound exactly the same as yours, but you might pull some suggestions or ideas from the responses he has gotten here..... planetnautique.com/vb3/showthread.php?26149-1997-SN-GT-40-Stalling-need-advice
  • CC1999skierCC1999skier Posts: 3 New Baller
    Thanks for the help. I will check the post. Again after shutting off the boat and then getting back in to pull a skier I get nothing. It acts like the battery is disconnected. No fuel pump, no dash instruments. I checked battery connections and behind the dash ignition connections. I was reading the manual about circuit breakers, on approximately 1 foot away from the battery and one at the back of the motor near the relay I replaced. I plan on checking those out when I get back to the boat this weekend.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,048 Mega Baller
    edited June 2013
    It could be something as simple as a loose wire on your ignition switch. Have you pulled up the dash and checked the wires for a tight fit? I have heard the grounds on the block rust and cause issues, although mine were fine. There are two grounds on the back of the engine if I remember. Pretty easy to get at to clean and replace.
  • CC1999skierCC1999skier Posts: 3 New Baller
    My thinking was that if it was a loose connection it would not start on the first day I took it out. I seams to happen on the second day on becomes worse the more I use the boat. I am going to start checking every connection again. Thanks
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,048 Mega Baller
    A dealer told me that a guy had a problem after taking it out, and it was a loose connection under the dash that got worse when he hit waves.