Reflex aluminum buckle replacements

SpeshSpesh Posts: 93 Baller
edited June 2013 in Skis Fins Bindings
I have just bought the replacement aluminum buckles to replace the plastic ones on my Reflex boot, as they were wearing out. However it is unclear how they need to be installed and no instructions are provided.

Does anyone know if the boot has to be re drilled to accommodate the new buckles? It seems that the catch mechanism side can be retro fitted into the existing holes, but the ratchet side cannot, otherwise it will not offer any tension.

Comments

• 94009400 Posts: 562 Crazy Baller
    I drilled all new holes for mine from what I remember.
  • SpeshSpesh Posts: 93 Baller
    edited June 2013
    @9400 Ah ok. Do you have any pictures that you could post, of where you located them?

Also the stock plastic strap that is on the white upper cuff is not T nutted with a screw like the other two straps. It is attached with a stud, so I am also not sure how to tackle removing that.
  • 94009400 Posts: 562 Crazy Baller
    Don't have pictures, and I didn't get them as good as I could have. I have some extra spare backup boots that I'll do better from what I learned on the current set of boots.
  • SpeshSpesh Posts: 93 Baller
    @MattP Thanks a lot for the video.
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,702 Mega Baller
    Anyone have a source for the low-profile screws/nuts for replacement plastic buckles?
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 717 Solid Baller
    yes I have some [email protected]
  • tfriesstfriess Posts: 401 Baller
    Has anyone found any other sources for the aluminum buckles other than from reflex?
    Can I just ski 24/7?
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    edited May 2016
    I've considered doing this with some old snow ski buckles I have laying around. My plastic buckles aren't worn out but I feel like the micro-adjust metal buckles would be a little more consistent than a paint mark that kind of lines up. Plus I think it'd be easier to put on/take off the boot. Could possibly even re-orient one of the buckles to help push your heel back into the back of the boot rather than having it crushing your instep which would be huge for me.

However, I think new replacement buckles are pretty pricey so it might be cheaper to just buy a used set of boots and rob the buckles off of them. Maybe even split them with a friend.
    Well I'm glad this thread got resurrected (also just noticing it was from 2013)...finally gave me the motivation to covert my buckles over. I think it came out pretty well but I'm sure the Reflex buckles are an easier fit.

@Waternut glad I could spark some motivation. Those looked like they turned out great. Did you say you had another set of those aluminum buckles? I also think the ones from Reflex are pricey, so I'm looking into alternatives. How hard were those to put on your boot?
    Can I just ski 24/7?
    Unfortunately, I don't have another full set. I bought some ski boots a couple years ago for the liners and the guy included 2 sets of boots with lots of missing parts. It was kinda weird but he mostly had the funky latches like these... Link

It wasn't hard but the one thing I did have to do that is out of the ordinary was bend the notch plates to match the contour of the Reflex boot. A little heat and they bend pretty easy. I also ground down some of the sharp edges on those notch plates so they wouldn't cut my liner since they went inside the boot instead of outside like the Reflex system.
    Thanks for the tip, I've found These aluminum buckles. What did you use to secure them to the boot?
    Can I just ski 24/7?
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,425 Mega Baller
    @Than_Bogan I remember you mentioning somewhere in to get buckles. I think it was in your ob4 guide? Reflex also sells kits to convert.
    I just used a simple T nut and a screw that originally attached them to the ski boots.
  • Mikl525Mikl525 Posts: 8 Baller
    edited March 13
    Reviving an old thread as I broke the 'strap' on the back of my Reflex boot last weekend - the one that stops your heel flexing too far forward. Is this a common problem?

• Eric KelleyEric Kelley Posts: 236 Solid Baller
    Yes it is common. I had mine replaced by Miami Nautiques
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 982 Mega Baller
    edited March 14
    I like going to goodwill or Salvation Army to find old snow ski boots to rob for buckle parts. The strap material on the last Tecnica boots was so far superior to what was on one of my super shells that i used that. See the photo below. This one needed some serious help. For a short time, Reflex was putting a small block, with one rivet holding the strap, above the large release block. Both of those ended up breaking off this boot and that webbing strap was about to go as well. Reflex, being as awesome to deal with as they are, sent an entire boot to replace it. This has become a backup/parts boot that I get to experiment with.

Mikl525
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 982 Mega Baller
    What I cannot find anywhere, is the hinged ladder-strap (the top one in this picture). I can find the fixed ones, but the hinged are awesome and, apparently, unicorns.

Mikl525