Boat Restrictions on Man-Made Ski Lake

mt17085mt17085 Posts: 10 Baller
I am in the processing of developing CC&R’s for a man-made, ski lake that is still on the drawing board. How should I describe “allowed” boats? I need to be accommodating to other water sports without compromising safety and without doing damage to the shorelines and infrastructure of the lake.
Lake will be 7 ft. deep, 220 ft. wide and 2300 ft. long with turn islands. Shoreline slope will be 12:1 on sides and 6:1 on ends.
“AWSA Approved Towboats Only” would make it real easy but would be too restrictive.
I would really appreciate input from those with experience and time around man-made lakes.
Looking forward to your feedback!
scotchipmanmbabiash

Comments

• GolfguyGolfguy Posts: 157 Baller
    This is our verbiage. It is a complex issue, our lake does not have a protected shore line so as the wakes get larger the shore becomes eroded.

Wake & Boat Restrictions

Only approved boats shall be used. Approved boats include AWSA approved three event tournament boats and other boats approved by 3 of the 4 officers of the corporation from time to time. Such list shall be made available to all owners. However, the officers cannot approve for use any rear engine boats that exceed 21'2" in length or that have a beam greater than 91".
    Each owner or guest shall operate any watercraft in a responsible manner so as to minimize the size and magnitude of wakes in order to avoid property damage and shoreline erosion.

Only AWSA three event tournament boats are permitted to use wake enhancements. Under no circumstances can wake enhancements of any type exceed 500 pounds any boat that is not an AWSA three event tournament boat or a boat using a wake enhancement shall operate above idle speed only between the slalom course boat guides and the peninsula and the islands. [Lake 1 drivers will safely avoid the jump.].
    I'm sure you can do better than this. It was obviously written by a commette.
  • rodltg2rodltg2 Posts: 1,051 Crazy Baller
    Tournament " style " inboard waterski or wakeboard boats only. Boats must not exceed 21.5ft bow to stern. No wake enhancing devices allowed.

or something like that
    Nick Sullivan
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,395 Historical Baller
    Just wondering: is there a plan to have a jump ramp on this lake, either initially or eventually?
    If so, it's too narrow, at least in the immediate jump ramp area.
  • lathompsonlathompson Posts: 29 Baller
    Recommend against turn islands. We have a turn island on lake 1 (trick/jump lake), and it's somewhat of a maintenance issue. I know of lakes that started out with turn islands and then were modified to remove them.
    Nick SullivanMS
  • mt17085mt17085 Posts: 10 Baller
    Thanks for the responses so far. And thanks for sharing verbiage on your lakes. I know there are lakes out there that allow larger boats. Would love to hear from you as well. Also, would appreciate more specifics of "trouble" and shore "erosion". Do the shore lines wash away into the lake bottom or do they shelf? What type of maintenance is required and how often? With AWSA approved towboats only, is the shoreline maintenance eliminated? Regarding width of lake - 220 ft. is as wide as we can go - don't have the property - so no jump ramp. I'll start a new discussion on turn islands - would love feedback on that subject. Thanks! Keep the feedback coming.
    scotchipmansocalskier
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,964
    At your depth and width, larger boats will cause shelfing at the water line, especially if you allow ballasted down wakeboard boats.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• dtm8119dtm8119 Posts: 165 Baller
    Is there a list of the previously AWSA accepted towboats? I can only find the current 2013 list searching around online.
    Dan Cloutier
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,093 Crazy Baller
  • DWDW Posts: 1,909 Mega Baller
    The verbiage on wake enhancements appears to target amount of ballast, don't forget devices such as the wedge and perhaps any "new" item that may come along, such as the new surf gate setups.
  • WolfeieWolfeie Posts: 169 Baller
    At Ski West Village we ammended our rules and regulations and had to take out ASWA approved because not many boats are. We researched size and weight of currect boats
    and put in guidelines that used the Natique 200 as a limit as far as weight. We also put in
    ballast and or wake enhancement rules not to to exceed the USCG capacity plate on the boat.
    We had previously out prohibited V-drives but have made concessions on the smaller V-drives
    with board of director approval.
    Brad Wolfe - Ski West Village, Arvin, Ca; Radar Pro Build, SN 200, I can see Ball of Spray headquarters from my lake house.
  • lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 339 Solid Baller
    Be sure to include rules about noise restrictions and hours of operation. At Aquaplex we prohibit any boat operation before 7 a.m. Muffler noise is a touchy subject since most people think some brands of boats are louder than others...............
    Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
  • MSMS Posts: 4,997 Mega Baller
    Make sure you specify that Water skiing takes priority over all other water activities. We had some home owners that wanted to have days and times set aside for swimming and jumping on the Rave tramp.
    Shut up and ski
  • JoepruncJoeprunc Posts: 257 Baller
    Off topic...I just learned that my boat was not AWSA approved.
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 1,794 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Have you thought about making it a club, with one brand new boat, and one for backup, safer with one boat on the lake, should be able to get enough revenue, to get a new boat every two years, or have I missed the concept here ?

"Forget Work, Go To The Lake Instead”

• JDMJDM Posts: 35 Baller
    We went to the extreme and limited it to ASWA inboards and excluded wakeboard specific inboards or anything intended to increase wake size. This was done for shoreline erosion and because we wanted to create a wonderful slalom experience. Does this minimize your market , absolutely. Does it provide the lake experience that we wanted, absolutely. Even without larger wakes, our shores take a beating and it is a constant effort to keep them up. We wrapped the shores and that has helped tremendously, but you still have to maintain constantly. Can't imagine if we had larger wakes what the maintenance would be.

Also, remember that CC&R's can be amended if something doesn't work and experience is the best way to understand how to draft them so be prepared to amend after a year or so if it doesn't work. Also, stick to them unless you amend them!!!

Another thing that I would consider that we didn't is related to inspecting boats that get put on the lake. With the zebra muscle issues that a lot of public lakes have been having it is important to be able to inspect all boats that come onto your lake (especially if they get used at other lakes) and that you have the ability to require a boat to dry out long enough to eliminate those types of hazards before it is put into the lake if there is any doubt. If something like the zebra muscle were to invade a small man made lake it could have disastrous consequences.
    scotchipman
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    we have zebra mussels at our ski lake which is a gravel pit and they're not too much of a problem. They actually clear the water up quite a bit which fishermen don't like but for us it's kind of nice. The only downside I've noticed is we have to wear gloves when pulling up the course boom arms because they cut the snot out of your hands but they don't seem to like the sandy areas so they're not a problem at the beach. I always thought if I built my own lake I might put some in there on purpose. They're in nearly every public lake around here and the only people who seem to mind are the fisherman.
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
    HPskier1
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,269 Crazy Baller
    I thoughts they clogged up cooling systems, among other problems.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • mt17085mt17085 Posts: 10 Baller
    I'm surprised at the width restriction on Golfguy's lake of 91 inches. Many of the USA Water Ski approved boats are over 91 inches wide. 91 inches would leave out a lot of boats - perhaps that is the intent. For example the Nautique 200 has a beam of 95 inches. That said, the boat path buoys are nominally 90.5 inches apart. How do the wider boats work? I guess the bigger boats' wake "pushes" the buoys to the side???? How wide can you go before you start running over them????
    scotchipman
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 4,100 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I agree @mt17085 that you would not want to restrict to a beam width of 91". The Malibu Response TXi has a beam of 93.5", as you pointed out the Nautique 200 is 95". The current MasterCraft 190/197 and Centurion Carbon Pro have a 91" beam but I would not be surprised at all if the 2014 MasterCraft is bigger.

I think ski boat manufactures measure beam as the widest point of the boat? Can someone verify? At the water line the width of a ski boat is narrower than the widest point above the water line.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,339 Crazy Baller
    That said, the boat path buoys are nominally 90.5 inches apart. How do the wider boats work? I guess the bigger boats' wake "pushes" the buoys to the side????
    Yep.
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
    kstateskier
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,269 Crazy Baller
    edited July 2013
    @scotchipman, yes boat beam measurements are at the widest point, ie rub rail.
    @mt17085, that 90.5 inches is center of buoy to center of buoy.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,118 Mega Baller
    @leonL - zebra mussels tend to thrive in murkish waters that have a good amount of nutrient for them to consume as they filter the water.

This can be both good and bad - Most ski lakes are dyed for the purpose of keeping the amount of light hitting the bottom down - if your lake is super clean/clear usually you won't see the mats of zebra mussels - same thing with boats, in cleanish waters they don't really blanket your dock, lift, hull.

The same cannot be said for boats that float in murky rivers - which will often get fouled
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,093 Crazy Baller
    If you are going to put restrictions based on boat measurements (i.e. length, width, weight, etc), be specific about how to do the measurements.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • ralral Posts: 1,697 Mega Baller
    Club boats rock! Never understood why having US$ 1 million+ in rapidly depreciating capital sitting in docks, when only one boat can be operated at any given time, unless you are doing head to head tournaments, where you would require 2...
    Rodrigo Andai
    MattP[Deleted User]Bulldog
  • vtjcvtjc Posts: 206 Baller
    One issue with requiring AWSA is that not all configurations of a hull/motor combination are submitted for testing these days. So technically a recent model MC 190/197 with the base 310hp Indmar wasn’t AWSA approved. However, this list seems to just go by hull: https://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions/3event/AWSAApprovedTowboatHistory.pdf
  • boarditupboarditup Posts: 583 Crazy Baller
    Specify direct or V-drive boats with a permanent factory engineered and installed pylon mount forward of the motor. Exclude boats with more than one built-in ballast tank. Exclude add-on ballast in excess of 500-lbs. Outboard boats with factory engineered and installed tracking fins may be allowed.

That eliminates most wakeboard boats, stern drives, outboards. You still could get a 200 Maristar without a ballast system, but that won't create lake erosion issues.

From a lake design perspective, there is a way to shape the sand to prevent erosion issues. It is very difficult to do and it takes computerized GPS equipment mounted on the dozer to work, but it can be done.
    Karl DeLooff - Powered by the wind
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 4,100 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited February 2015
    bump, anyone else have suggestions for @mt17085 before he makes the CC&R's official? I see the new ProStar has a beam of 96".
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
  • DWDW Posts: 1,909 Mega Baller
    To avoid the width concern, boat weight limitation might be a useable variable along with the ballast restriction. Assuming the objective is to ensure minimal wake vessels occupy the slips.
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,059 Baller
    If it says AWSA approved towboats only, does that restrict it to current model boats, or ones approved at the time of manufacture?
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot