Tournament focus

thagerthager Posts: 4,039 Mega Baller
edited December 2008 in Technique & Theory
What do you guys/gals do to get yourself ready for your runs in a tournament? I constantly fight huge rushs of adrenaline which helped greatly in other sports like football or wrestling but is pure detriment in watersking. Your thoughts?

thager 
Stir vigorously then leave!

Comments

• Thomas WayneThomas Wayne Posts: 550 New Baller
    Try repeating this to yourself: "Find a happy place... find a happy place... find a happy place..."

TW 
  • BoodyBoody Posts: 613 Baller
    Last year I read a sports psychology book entitled, "In Pursuit of Excellence" by Terry Orlick.  The author trained a lot of Olympic athletes mostly in downhill skiing and there was a few references to a waterskiing as well.  It really helped me deal with tournament nerves and improved my consistency.
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,137 Crazy Baller
    Take a look at www.peaksports.com

lots of good info.

Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • JayJay Posts: 64
    Reading that same book now, it's good. Mental training is something that can be worked on outside of skiing, I found that learning to focus during the off season helped loads and a routine before I ski whether in training or tournament helps.
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,951 Mega Baller
    I was told by someone older and wiser than me, "the way to get better at tournament skiing is to ski lots of tournaments."  Seems like a cliche, but it's been working for me.  Familiarity with a site also helps, and practicing your "tournament set" - opener, then shorten every pass/drop until you miss - will help you be more comfortable on event day.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"