Physical conditioning

WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
I know I've seen threads talking about proper diet as well as threads discussing on and off season weight lifting. Assuming proper diet and generally good health, how much is too much?

My average week consists of 2 days on the slalom course which typically includes 2 sets per day. Additionally, I'll go out on my own boat on open water and do some skiing and wakeboarding another 2-3 days during the rest of the week and maybe another day of mountain biking thrown in there if I get my arm twisted by friends. Unless I take a hard fall, I'm usually not sore from any of this but after 3-4 days in a row, I can definitely tell that I'm doing things in a lazy manner and my energy level is not up to snuff. The strange part and it's consistent from year to year is that I gain weight and lose muscle tone this time of year.

First thing is, is this just too much for any kind of recovery? Second, would you guys recommend any light weight lifting or cardio exercise thrown into the mix to help? I'm 32 and I realize I'm not a kid anymore but I wouldn't really consider myself too old for any of these activities.

Comments

• skibugskibug Posts: 1,883 Crazy Baller
    edited July 2013
    As you get older you need go at it harder to maintain lower weight and more muscle. My off season regiment consists of cardio 6 days a week (run 2, bike 2, eliptical 2), weightlifting 3-4 days a week, core work 3-4 days a week. During the season I ski 5-6 days a week with at least 2 sets a day on week nights; 3-4 sets each weekend day; no weightlifting...but...cardio 2 times a week. I am 42 this year and my plan is to be in better shape next season than I was coming into this season. I think you have to have that mindset as you get older; otherwise, you are going backwards. Just my opinion.
    Bob Grizzi
    BradySkoot1123Waternut
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    @skibug After seeing you regimen, I'm clearly a wuss. haha You are my new idol.
    Brady
  • lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 295 Baller
    Unfortunately as you get older you not only need to stay in shape for skiing you also need to stay in shape to protect yourself from potential injury (or try to). I never worried about injuries or over-use but when I turned 46 everything seemed to change. If I got injured it took longer to heal and I missed water time.
    Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
  • JoepruncJoeprunc Posts: 221 Baller
    I will be hitting 32 this winter, and also feel like a got ran over by a truck when I ski 3 days in a row.

My summer exercise consists of skiing 2-3 days a week with an occasional 1 wakeboard set mixed in there, jumping in the hot tub every evening after skiing. Running once a week. And sitting on my ass in front of a computer for the rest of the week.

My winter exercise consists of telemark skiing once to twice a week, dirt biking once every two weeks, and sitting on my ass infront of this stupid computer the rest of the time.

This use to work just fine for me, but I just noticed this year that some of my size 31 shorts are a little tighter than normal (I've been a size 31 waste since I was a junior in high school)....but I blame that on the new dryer ;).

A satellite gym (just machines/free weights/treadmills) opened up down the street from my home office, maybe I should join and work out during my lunch every day. That would be the first time I set foot in a gym since I was in college.
  • ctsmithctsmith Posts: 281 Baller
    edited July 2013
    I know that the guys who work out a lot will get a good laugh out of this but heavy hands walking works amazingly well for stamina and cardio. My routine consists of 32 minutes per day, five days per week on a treadmill at 60 - 75% of MHR doing various exercises with hand weights (have built up to 5 lb weights now). I am still heavy for my height (5'8" 185 lbs) but it has allowed me to get in many more passes even at the slower speeds that I ski. At 40 years old, I am in as good cardio condition as I have ever been, and there was a day that I was at 150 lbs and could crank 50+ pull ups consecutively (the good ole college days). If interested shoot me a PM and I'll let you know more about my routine. Its all I do, nothing else. I went from 205 in March to 185 now with heavy hands and a proper diet (tried Insanity and all that crap but it does me more harm than good). Plan to drop to 165.

What I most like about heavy hands walking is its effectiveness, convenience, and the fact that it doesn't drain you, I can ski immediately after I'm done. I don't dread it. It is something that I can maintain for the rest of my life. Heck, I get out of bed and go straight to the treadmill, and I've gone for 15 minutes before I even wake up:)
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,745 Mega Baller
    Well @waternut and @joeprunc - I am the same age group as you. Three years ago I started doing P90X during the winter (along with hockey once a week) and WOW - what a difference that made. I have increased muscle mass, flexibility, core stability etc. and it has been awesome. I too find that during the summer I tend to get a little tired. No time to work out for me during the summer, BUT - I know the heat has something to do with that. Not only the air temp, but water temp in the upper 80's drains you of energy without your realizing it - until your partway through the course at 28 off.

Anyway - I have experimented with some short warmups in the morning last week - I got up and did wall squats for a minute - minute and a half, then some squats, then one leg wall squats for another minute, followed by more squats. All done within 8 minutes, and I'm sweating by the time I'm done, not to mention I am WIDE awake. I then played hockey last Friday morning (had been 15 weeks due to shoulder injury) and afterwards, while tired, I was NOT sore. I truly need to start doing that again. It helps - even if only a little bit, and IT IS INTENSE!!! BRING IT!
    WaternutBrady
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,115 Mega Baller
    Im 39 and agree completely that the older I get, the harder I have to work to stay in ski shape and prevent injury. Having said that, I also have to be more careful about balancing my gym time during the ski season to ensure that the combination of skiing and heavy lifting doesn't lead to injury either in the gym or on the water. Everyone is different here and certain excercise regimens impact your skiing positively/negatively more than others. I ski a couple of sets during the week and 3-4 sets on the weekends, and I am usually in the gym four days a week during the season. I never do deadlifts on Fridays and I am careful about listening to my body. If my body is feeling worn down, I will take a day off from the gym instead of the water:)
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
    Skoot1123
    I actually did the video workouts like P90x/insanity religiously about 2 years ago. I was doing those workouts about 4-5 days a week for probably 3-4 months and was honestly in the best shape of my life and had the best muscle tone I've ever had. What ultimately stopped my routine was broken ribs from skiing. I tried to start back up when I healed and just couldn't get into it anymore.

Maybe something like @skoot1123 is doing is what I need to do. Maybe 10-15 minutes of hardcore exercise just to keep myself in check but without draining my energy.

@ctsmith I appreciate the insight but I'm 6' tall and weigh 175lbs and walking doesn't do it for me. I probably walk a few miles a day just as part of my job going to and from various hangars. If I travel out of the country, I'll just about walk my feet off but I've kind of reached that point where intense workouts are the only thing that actually produces any real results. The plus side is I am at a point where I can fairly easily maintain my current weight but going any lower is extremely hard.
  • ctsmithctsmith Posts: 281 Baller
    edited July 2013
    Waternut, you might be surprised. The benefit is from continuous use of your hands, with weights, above your heart (not walking). Dr Schwartz set on a quest to find the most in shape athlete from a cardio standpoint (he knew how to test) and then to design exercises to mimic. He found that the most cardio in shape athletes were cross country snow skiers and the reason being the continuous use of their hands above the heart. Interesting stuff. You'd be surprised at the number of long distance runners, swimmers, and bikers that swear by it. If you like to read, pick up Dr. Schwartz's book.

Try this, it will only take a few minutes. Walk on a treadmill at a brisk pace for several minutes with a HRM. Settle in on a heart rate. Then pick up light hand weights and start doing shoulder presses as you walk. Watch what happens to your heart rate.
    Here is something that won't surprise any of us Ballers - water skiing is strenous stuff, and look how long it takes?! Between 15-18 seconds and 6 - 10 (some more/less) passes, and then we are beat for a little while. WHAT a workout, why? Because it uses just about every single muscle in your body, very intensely, for a short amount of time. I like that!
    MSTexas6Brady
  • klindyklindy Posts: 1,919 Mega Baller
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    Skoot1123Brady
  • skibugskibug Posts: 1,883 Crazy Baller
    @Waternut, I am a wuss compared to some of my ski partners; I look up to them as my benchmark...and they are all older than me and in better shape. I will add that I am a proponent of the HIT (High Intensity Training) principle because of the nature of our sport; and I incorporate that into my work outs. I think body weight lifts and functional lifts/movements are good execises to incorporate, push ups, pull ups, kettlebells, etc. Ab Ripper X is a really good core work out that takes about 15 - 20 mins depending on your ability to keep up and perform all of the exercises. I am of the belief that your ski season is made by what you put into your off season training.
    Bob Grizzi
    Brady
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 231 Baller
    Most important for skiers is to train to remain strong, healthy, mobile, flexible and train the supporting structures skiing neglects and fix the imbalances skiing creates.
  • MSMS Posts: 4,298 Mega Baller
    I agree with @skoot. As a result, you should try to mimic your workouts around that 17 second burst of energy.
    Shut up and ski
    Brady
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,885 Moderator
    @MS I train at 30-45sec when I'm doing burst training. Nothing will get you ready to ski but it's nice to be over trained a bit and from get up to sit down is way longer than 17 seconds. In rowing we race 5k in the fall we train with 6k.
  • MSMS Posts: 4,298 Mega Baller
    @MattP I think any kind of quick, short burst kind of activity that blows up your muscle mass is a good training routine for slalom> Biking up hills, sprinting up hill, hockey or basketball are all good. I would bet that rowing would be one of the better things you could do.
    Shut up and ski
    Skoot1123
    @mattp - your rowing is likely a good reason you can run 35 consistantly and start getting into 38! That and practice......
    Brady
    edited July 2013
    @skoot1123 I'm not rowing much these days because of skiing. And skiing about 10 sets a week helps a lot.. Sitting in the doctors office at the moment to see if I will be taking up rowing for the rest of the season and working on my driving credits....
    Brady
    @MattP, what the heck happened? You ok?
    Uh oh @MattP. What happened??
    @Texas6 @Skoot123 my right ear met the water first in a pretty hard crash this weekend at states. Hurt like hell was a bit dazed, but my Reflex released at just the right time to save my knee. . Finally got all the water our of it 24 hours later but the ringing would not stop. Went to a Dr. That could not tell if my ear drum was broken. I went to an ENT yesterday. I don't have a busted ear drum but may have had a hole that has now closed up and some bruising. I do have fluid in my inner ear that is causing the ringing. Steroids, sleeping pills, antibiotics, something else and ear drops later I'm cleared to ski. Picking up some ear plugs then headed to the lake today. These 4 days may have been the longest break from skiing I've had since my season started...
    @mattp - get better! I have had ear issues in the past - they are no fun. In fact, my dad had to puncture my ear drum once when I was about 8 years old. Had an infection in my ear. Be careful - the ears will mess with your balance too. All the above will help though! Ski a set for me as I won't be on the water till next Wednesday. :(
    @mattp A girl I ski/wakeboard with had trauma to the ear in a bad wakeboarding fall last year. I know she was cleared to continue doing activities as well but also told to take it easy as hitting it again could put her out for the rest of the summer. So be careful man... Ear plugs sound like a good defense but a week or two off is also way better than the rest of the season.
    Skoot1123
    That sux, sorry to hear that. That was a bad ear drum joke. It's amazing how common that is in skiing/wakeboarding. You'll be back on the water in no time, hang in there
  • BradyBrady Posts: 1,005 Mega Baller
    edited July 2013
    @MattP Good luck on the ear...but with that mentioned, dude it is not a moving part of your body!!!! Get out and and hit the ear again, and I am sure it will heal itself. Works with my broken electronics
    I ski, therefore I am
    Skoot1123
  • xratedxrated Posts: 478 Solid Baller
    Yoga. I still get sore but not the same old sore that I used to get from back country snowmobiling, dirt biking or skiing.

Added plus do it with your wife or GF and make sure she is in front of you!
  • xratedxrated Posts: 478 Solid Baller
    Yoga. I have noticed a huge difference in how sore I feel and how much more I enjoy my activities ranging from back country snowmobiling, dirt biking and skiing.