scuff mark on top of ski

fu_manfu_man Posts: 310 Baller
In rearranging the equipment in the boat the other night my ski (Radar Senate) rubbed up against another or vice versa. I now have a long scuff mark on the top of my ski. Not sure, but it appears as if the scuff could be rubbed out. Any suggestions for what to use?

Comments

• A_BA_B Posts: 3,779 Mega Baller
    edited July 2013
    Start with less abrasive stuff (white polishing cream) and graduate to harsher stuff (red) if you need to. May need to polish when done to match luster of the rest of ski if using harsher grit.

Try a polish like NuFinish first, as that may be enough without the rubbing compounds.
    If you don't have rubbing compounds handy, try toothpaste.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,879 Mega Baller
    I've used baking soda as a mild abrasive to remove scuffs and marks from fiberglass. It should work on other finished surfaces, like clearcoat on a ski, etc.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,879 Mega Baller
    By the way, I have also used baking soda to remove stains from vinyl boat seats. Whenever using it (for skis, boats or seats), mix with a bit of water into a soft paste.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,681 Administrator
    I would bet that any attempt to repair will make I look worse. That top sheet is some sort of printed poly. Experiment under bindings first or cover with a sticker

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• SMSM Posts: 524 Crazy Baller
    You mean BOS sticker, right?
    Time spent on the water is time well spent.
    MattP
  • jwrjwr Posts: 339 Baller
    Sometimes a magic eraser will take out small scratches
    Obrien Elite 30" 6.845, 2.510, .80 PB 2@39
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,673 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Agree with Horton. Put a sticker over it and tell people you have a sponsor.
  • eddie_roberts_jreddie_roberts_jr Posts: 427 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Like John says, experiment under the bindings first. That ski has a clearcoat and I haven't had real good luck trying to get out scratches. You might try a spray wax.
  • fu_manfu_man Posts: 310 Baller
    Thanks guys. OK here is what I learned. Goo Gone and Goof Off didn't do squat for the scuff (nor did damage to the topcoat). I used a product like the Nu Finish. It's called Meguiar's ultimate compound. Said it was for clear coat scratches and it did a pretty good job. Got out most of the scuff without really damaging the top. It's not completely out but you REALLY have to look close to see it.