Is it just me or . . . .?

Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,745 Mega Baller
So my family and I go out for our skiing fix yesterday evening and our first sets are great! I ran a couple 22's and then had some 28's that were consistent. I got to five ball twice and 4 ball twice, lost/missed the handle a couple times too, but for the most part was running the 28's better than the last three times at the lake. Even though I didn't run a 28 last night, I have run one 28 the past three times at the lake, so I think it is getting better, and it felt like I had a lot more time to make the buoys than in the past. Conditions were pretty decent, 4-8 mph swirling breeze, hot water - about 87. My wife's second set she runs her first -22 off, ever! It was a slower speed, but as I told her, you have to start somewhere! Another Baller had come by that time so he took his set. My second set was a disaster!! This also happened about a week and a half ago!! What gives!? Fatigue, hot water, gloves getting too worn out, user error!? I know for sure the person skiing had something to do with it, but has anyone else been subject to this! Man I gotta break this!!!! To top it off, it'll be a week until I ski again. ARGH!!
Brady

Comments

• dislanddisland Posts: 1,053 Crazy Baller
    Most likely you lost concentration and focus. It doesnt take much loss of good body position for your buoy count to drop by 12 or more.
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,779 Mega Baller
    I use to do this when I skied real well, so dogged it on the easier passes and arm skied, and before you knew it, was engraining bad form.

Know every time you leave the dock it is work, er fun, but work your butt off from "go boat".
    Brady
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,745 Mega Baller
    @AB - very true!! One thing I noticed (maybe it threw me off or not, but it "shouldn't") was that I started my second set at -22 off and on the pullout for my gates I noticed a line "bungee" like crazy. Wasn't expecting that at all. Too much force on the pull/lean out for my gates?

Maybe I just need to start my second set where I left off on my first set. HMMMMMM
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,779 Mega Baller
    edited July 2013
    Maybe just too pumped up and trying to muscle everything instead of focusing on Technique (what's that?).

If you are skiing once a week, consistency will be your enemy. Take it slow and warmup on the second set and make it enjoyable, don't go to failure. I use to run the first set like a tournament, and the second set for that T word. You make more buoys and it gives you something good to take away and bring back next time.
    Skoot1123
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,632 Mega Baller
    1) Some sets just suck. It has no bearing on future sets.
    2) If working really hard with a lot of deep attempts at your "reach" pass, you may be totally beat. Often after I do that, I'll do a second set that is the opposite and work on form on my opening couple of passes.
    3) Watch out for dehydration if hanging out on the water on a hot, sunny day. This can really sap your strength and energy before any of the more serious symptoms arise. (And often without even feeling thirsty.)
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Skoot1123Brady
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,681 Administrator
    terrible thread title

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

MattP
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,745 Mega Baller
    @horton - what can I say, it happens! :D
    Brady