Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D3 ski upgrade - which one?

AliAli Posts: 159 Baller
My wife is currently on an X5 rose skiing the course at 15off and 28/30 mph, she is 125lbs. Ski is 4 years old so time to get her on a new ride and she has agreed as long as the ski "looks good".

I am going to take advantage of the D3 20% off nationals deal. So looking at Quest GS or Fusion GS 65" in either.

Any opinions or experiences of the female versions of these skis most appreciated.

cheers
Ali

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,637 Mega Baller
    @Ali there is a D3 rep in New England that I can connect you to where Wendy could try some of the skis. Let me know if you want me to connect you.
    Mark Shaffer
    Ali
  • webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
    Quest
  • ralral Posts: 1,690 Mega Baller
    Quest.
    Rodrigo Andai
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 796 Mega Baller
    Quest Quest Quest
    @Ali I forgot to add that based on seeing some skiers of about Wendy's ability get on the Quest I would recommend the Quest also.
    Mark Shaffer
    Ali
  • skibugskibug Posts: 1,979
    Quest GS...my wife made the switch from an X5 to the Quest GS this year and loves it!
    Bob Grizzi
    Ali
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 410 Crazy Baller
    my wife got the regular quest. the gs was to soft for her. she is an advanced skier. i think you can order both and send one back. they will cram both skis in a box and save on shipping.

good luck
    Ali
  • AliAli Posts: 159 Baller
    @skibug how was the change for your wife, what can I tell mine to expect?
  • skibugskibug Posts: 1,979
    @Ali, she feels it turns better and is quicker cross course; everything seems to be a little more fluid. She is about 120 Lbs and skies at 30 mph & 32 mph @15 - 22 off. She tried the regular and the GS and prefers the softer ski. It is plenty stiff for her level of skiing.
    Bob Grizzi
    Ali
    My wife just pointed out that she prefers the fusion GS, it looks nicer
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 1,019 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Ask Paul to make her a Quest with the Fusion GS top. Most people prefer the Quest, but not all. I do hands down
    Ali
    @Ali tell Wendy it is about how it skis not how it looks :) I realize that women aren't always rational on that front. The Quest really isn't a real good looking ski.
    Mark Shaffer
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,722 Mega Baller
    If looks are important, buy the best skiing ski. Take it to a local car "wrap" shop (where they cover cars with vinyl to make it a rolling advertisement). Have them cut a wrap for the ski's top surface using any graphics she wants (flowers, paisleys, her favorite colors or what matches her vest, etc.).
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,113 Mega Baller
    @Ali Maybe find the ski that works best and then have a custom top sticker made to her design ;)
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,722 Mega Baller
    @oldjeep - great minds think alike
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    I'll let her read all the advice. We will then make a logical decision based on what she wants :-)
    Skoot1123ToddL
  • MurrskiMurrski Posts: 176 Baller
    edited August 2013
    @Ali - Ski wraps designed by Terry Winter @TWhisper are very cool. Here's one he did for my wife:

Here's one he did for my D3 Fusion:

These are easy to put on so he can design, print and ship them to you.
    @Murrski very cool.

She already has custom made masterline handle (grey/pink fleck and pink for you fashionistas who want to know)

Ski wrap could be the winter project.

cheers
    Ali
    She has read the thread and she is very very excited by the ski wraps. She can't believe I haven't told her about them before.

No mention about what ski to get!!

cheers
    Ali
  • davemacdavemac Posts: 447 Baller
    my 14 yo daughter is luvin her Quest GS...and looking very controlled and comfortable on it (skiing at 30 mph). Quest is the more forgiving ski of the two.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,043 Mega Baller
    I know nothing about D3's but (as you know) I've seen her ski and even coached her a bit, and I'd definitely go with the "more forgiving" option if there is agreement on what that is. The reason: She is strong as hell but still working on body position, a combination that can lead to some "interesting" crashes. A rock-solid ski could help minimize that, and thus indirectly accelerate her learning curve.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    @Than all that is fine, but what about the colour of the ski and what ski wrap design should she think of?
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,113 Mega Baller
    @Ali - we'll have to see a picture of the rest of the outfit to decide that.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    Video will have to do

Simojo
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,043 Mega Baller
    @Ali She's on her own there. I have the artistic skill of a recently-deceased donkey.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • davemacdavemac Posts: 447 Baller
    edited August 2013
    I am not sure how the wrap would work... as pertains to the raised, silver D3 logo glued on the front of the ski. Not sure if you'd have to remove it?
    @davemac - I didn't remove mine. Terry's design had the Ball of Spray text with a collage of graphics around the text that went right over the D3 impression. The impression gets lost in the graphic and is a total non-issue IMO.
    @Murrski wife is very keen, how do I contact Terry for designs?

IMO a more important point Quest GS 65" is the choice.

At 28/30 mph 15 off with a wing or without?

cheers
    Ali
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    @murrski How much does a wrap like that cost?
    @Ali @Waternut - Terry's email is: t e r r y w i n t e r 1 @ m a c . c o m. Cost will be dependent on design tme/complexity but plan on something between $100 - $150. Mine ran in the middle of that range but I didn't need shipping since we live in the same area.

On the wing question - I'd say without wing initially then after 10-12 sets - give it a try to feel the difference. Most on the forum I think would agree that the skier should first feel the ski and know where you need to be on it to slow it down when sking at speeds less than 34mph.
    Than_Bogan