Distance between boots?

ZmanZman Posts: 1,325 Crazy Baller
edited September 2013 in Skis Fins Bindings
For ballers who use dual boots (including Reflex with R-style rear) - how do you like to set the distance between them?

Distance between boots? 134 votes

0" - smack them right together
64%
HortonDeketsixamjedgellRogerscotchipmanswerveitA_BSkiRVrawlywaterskicoreyskibrainRichardDoanePSMskiron07Steven_HainesGAJ0004MattPGarnEd_Johnson 86 votes
1/4 inch
14%
skidawgJASLZywicki1otisgwcalrobertsrq0013davemacjayskiKlundellVONMANjcampggincogmutskinonstopGolfguyDefectiveDavepaul413skiCkruegGolson 19 votes
!/2 inch
12%
skiepCamKelvinMrJonesbkohogexpressTUPdave2ballDeanoskilathompsonchris_loganscuppersGaryWilkinsonBobEsavaiusinilazznJBB 17 votes
3/4 inch or more
8%
Chuck_DickeyjwrAlberto SoaresChef23JackQMSaupatkingLucasBrewskiStathis Ventourisbrettmainerskihound 12 votes

Comments

• WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    There were many reasons I went away from double boots but one of them was that I couldn't get my feet close enough together.
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,325 Crazy Baller
    Thanks @scotchipman Seems like there could be pro's and cons with either method. At 11.5" - if you have large feet, you may be further back than I am with mine also almost smacked together since I only run a size 9 boot.
    Maybe the poll just needs to be two choices, I Like Them Very Close or I Like Some Space?
    How are you measuring the 11.5"?
    @scotchipman I am a bit new on Strada boots and still had them screwed to the G10 plate with the metal Strada plates. Just yesterday I put the boots directly on the G10. I had not put the G10 back on the ski yet (Goode ski using Dual-Lock) - so, I just checked the center hole to center hole distance and it was exactly 11.5".
    I have just the slightest gap between the two boots, maybe a 1/16th.
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 291 Baller
    As close as I can get them.
    www.skyfitness.com
  • allycatallycat Posts: 192 Baller
    edited September 2013
    bugger just voted but i use a rtp up hard sorry
  • jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,414 Crazy Baller
    My rear Strada is smooshed against the heel of my front strada. Love it!
  • BrewskiBrewski Posts: 325 Crazy Baller
    3/4 inch or more
    I use double custom hardshells with front and back 500 Silvretta releases so I had to back off the rear boot some to make the front release work and boot to release cleanly. I thought this was going to be an issue coming from HO Animals where my toes just microns from touching the back of the front boot but it gives me a chance to drive my knees more forward. Really like it. Just over 3/4" from back of front boot to front of back boot but since the boots are made of thin carbon it would be like a little less than 3/4 compared to a couple of boot with liners that would make it more than less if this makes sense to anyone......
    MattP
  • LucasLucas Posts: 61 Baller
    3/4 inch or more
    Using stealths at factory settings, didn't know any better
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,023 Mega Baller
    When I used Animals, I cut the front of the back boot rubber back so my toes could ride up on the back of the front boot. Also shaved off the HO raised graphic on the back of the front boot, as it rubbed on my toes. I trimmed the front of my back hard shell to get closer as well when I used hard shells. I use Stradas now, and have not trimmed, but they are as close as I can get them. I have been debating trimming the back boot, but have not done it yet.
  • jwrjwr Posts: 337 Baller
    3/4 inch or more
    I'm on Wileys and my rear toe is usually on the front binder. I moved it back on my new ski and it's working good.
    Obrien Elite 30" 6.845, 2.510, .80 PB [email protected]
    Deanoski
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Tried them further apart and struggled, and my left hip (back leg) seemed to ache.
    Jim Ross
  • bogboybogboy Posts: 696 Solid Baller
    I like to curl my rear toes over the Wiley's horse shoe and get them as close together as I can.
  • Chuck_DickeyChuck_Dickey Posts: 1,459 Crazy Baller
    3/4 inch or more
    I'm on EXO Pro's and the rear toe touches the front heel. I have a Reflex front and Strada rear I want to try but I can't get the Radar rear very close to the Reflex heel due to the release mechanism, which leaves about a 1" gap, anybody deal with this issue.
    @AB Suppose you could just take a meat clever and lop about 1/2 or 3/4 inches off the toe of the back boot. Let me know how that works out....
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,747 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    !/2 inch
    Although I am not sure. The front of the R style Reflex is chopped of so it's kind of a guess. I did increase my spread by 1/2" last week trying things on the 6.1. I did not like it at all. Felt much harder to rotate on toe side.
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,733 Mega Baller
    My double Animal plates overlap - as close as possible.
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,621
    When you think about it it makes sense that if your feet are further apart you will possibly be more stable. Having said this I've always kept my boots close together with a slight skew on the rear.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,189 Mega Baller
    Ankle to Ankle measurement.

This is all fine and dandy folks - but what about ankle to ankle measurement? This is really more of a boot size issue to me, if you have them smack together and size 13 feet, and someone else is smack together and wears the XS versions of the same bindings, they have the bindings closer together than the person with the 13's, at-least if you consider that the front ankle position on the ski is very similar between the two skiers.

Perhaps large feet is a disadvantage in slalom skiing.... or this is more user preference than anything.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,787 Mega Baller
    3/4 inch or more
    I have a pretty good gap between my feet at the advice of a coach a couple of years ago.
    Mark Shaffer
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,144 Mega Baller
    3/4 inch or more
    I ran my EXO's together, Power Plate together or maybe 1/4 until it broke my damn foot and tore a bunch of ligaments. I'm waiting until I can walk again to get in my Reflex with R style but like Chuck said, it appears that anything less than 3/4" is going to interfere with the release mechanism. Anybody have any experience, tips, or insight?
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 877 Crazy Baller
    @AB and @Zman, I chopped the toe off my rear strada earlier this year and moved the rear binding up one full center hole on the sequence plate. For me this is better. Boots are 12's, so big feet. Now my liner is nearly touching the back of my front boot.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • Alberto SoaresAlberto Soares Posts: 288 Baller
    3/4 inch or more
    Small feet US 8.5, about 3/4 to 1" works best for me. Reflex / R Style
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,212 Mega Baller
    I can't really vote in this poll, because for me the binding spacing has proven to be an important tuning parameter that is different for different skis. On my 9900sl, I ran a bit of a gap -- maybe a 1/2" from my toe to the front boot. On my N1, one of the most important changes I made was to get my feet very close together. In fact, as part of getting comfortable on the OB4s, I've cut the rear boot's toe back twice. I now have my toe nearly in contact with the front boot.

@Chef23 I can't believe I forgot to mention this to you about the N1! Because of its large rocker (or at least I think that's why), boot spacing works a little differently on it. Too late for that I guess...
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • jedgelljedgell Posts: 337 Baller
    edited August 2014
    @ski6jones‌ - I did the exact same thing earlier this year, made a big difference with my offside. I have size 12's also. It's ugly, but it works for me. Still skiing with Bob at Cypress?
    Justin Edgell - Bozeman, MT
  • OKSkierOKSkier Posts: 119 Baller
    @Chuck_Dickey‌
    I have a Reflex front and Strada rear and have the Strada jammed up as much as possible. Still about an inch seperation. Have had a couple full releases with no problem
  • Chuck_DickeyChuck_Dickey Posts: 1,459 Crazy Baller
    3/4 inch or more
    @OKSkier‌ I tried the Strada rear and switched to the Reflex R-Style so I could get my feet closer together.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,787 Mega Baller
    3/4 inch or more
    @Than_Bogan‌ when I was on the Nano my feet were very close together it was pretty much my only choice.
    Mark Shaffer
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 877 Crazy Baller
    @jedgell‌, Bob isn't skiing much anymore. This is my second summer Shreveport LA skiing at Lakes at Cottonwood. Still have the place at Katy and get down there a few times each year. Where is Sabrina Lake?
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,481 Mega Baller
    I have size 13 to 14 foot using double D3 tfactors. My rear toe is touching my front boot. Ankle centers are about 12" apart.
  • jedgelljedgell Posts: 337 Baller
    @ski6jones Sabrina is in Oregon, about half way between Salem and Eugene just off I-5.
    Justin Edgell - Bozeman, MT