shipping a ski

6balls6balls Posts: 4,748 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
Sold my 68'' Vapor, and still have the original box. Live in a small town with limited shipping options. Is US postal likely able to send this for me?

THX
Dave Ross--die cancer die

Comments

• bigskieridahobigskieridaho Posts: 769 Crazy Baller
    Best bet is to go to a shipping place Postal Annex etc. they will get it to the right place even if it starts with US Postal and gets transferred. This is what I have done in the past.
  • dbskidbski Posts: 204 Crazy Baller
    I ship all my skis USPS, no problems.
    Rick Bohn
    6balls
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,937 Mega Baller
    Usps is typically cheapest. Dimensional weight is a killer with ups.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    6balls
  • bajabaja Posts: 231 Baller
    Just sent my 2016 vapor to a new owner via USPS. Original box and about $40 got it delivered in 4 days.
    6balls
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,748 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Thanks everyone will go "postal".

Sold the ski to my nephew so all good. He's got a young family, wants to get back on the water, both of his brothers may ski with him some as well.

He's buying my brother Joe's @Sasquatch Nautique. He grew up and learned to ski on family vacations pulled by my Dad's boat using my Dad's equipment. Later at @razorskier1's place he and his brothers got chances to get after it.

He recently got a chance to ski etc and decide it's so much fun that he needs to get after it and continue tradition with his own family. I'm pumped for him.

I guess we're growing the sport a little bit with this one.
    BG1Bruce_ButterfieldWishMattP
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 939 Crazy Baller
    I’ll try USPS next time.

I did UPS earlier this year. My box dimensions I provided for online estimate were larger by ONE INCH COMBINED when measured at the store. - caused an $30 jump to about $78. For ship across the Midwest.
  • DekeDeke Posts: 344 Baller
    I used USPS for best price a couple of times this year. As @skibrain says the dimensions are critical. I scavenged sheets of corrugated from large shipments and made my own boxes in order to minimize.
  • LZywicki1LZywicki1 Posts: 352 Crazy Baller
    We started using FedEx when we moved from daughterf rom Michigan to Texas State for grad school.
    TV, DVR, computer, 6 boxes of clothes, bike etc. Shipping ws aproximently $300.

In just sold an 20 11 "66" D3 with RS-1 binding shipped to VA fro got under $35.
    I have also shipped sk and equipment in a sport tube to Texas twice and to Florida 4 times. Price was between $65 to $75. I ship to FedEx office or direct to te ski school. If you hve a commercial acount aa believe that rhe price drops a little.
    First thing we get rid of the safety equipment
    dvskier
  • rawlyrawly Posts: 441 Solid Baller
    Just shipped a bad ass like new 2017 66" Vapor Probuild to fellow Baller @LZywicki1 . Should get it soon. Ca to Mi was about $70 with $1000 worth of insurance with USPS.
    LZywicki1MuskokaKy
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,540 Crazy Baller
    I've been using Fedex. About $35 to ship a ski if you set up an account with them.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,748 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    $45 bucks from US postal in original box 6 by 8 by 72 with $1000 insurance.

THX for all the advice.
  • MDB1056MDB1056 Posts: 68 Baller
    FED EX GROUND is by far the best and least expensive. UPS and USPS by comparison are WAY more expensive. Skis I've shipped were about $32-$35 each