Best place for a water skier to live

Comments

• ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,353 Crazy Baller
    Good points @jcamp. Just my thoughts... In terms of overall quality of life when raising a family I think that New England is hard to beat. The skiing is pretty good too. Usually about a 6 month season. Almost 7 months the past few years.
    jcamp
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,879 Crazy Baller
    @dbski if only michigan had sensible permit policies for public water ski courses its hard to beat having all the seasons.

MISkier
  • Pat MPat M Posts: 485 Solid Baller
    I also like living in New England, but I wish there were more private ponds or small ponds to ski on. It is mostly public lakes and we all know how that goes.
    jcamp
  • dbskidbski Posts: 179 Crazy Baller
    edited December 2017
    @BraceMaker, I agree its tough to get a permit for a course, it's also tough to keep one! The first course on our lake was a sinker. One guy on the shore where the course was located complained we were skiing in the morning and the DNR pulled the permit. 1 GUY! I was the president of our lake association at the time and I got all the prior presidents to sign a letter of protest to no avail. Thats when I bailed and searched out our present situation. Since then another group of skiers went though the process and did get a new permit. Lots of hoops to jump through and the course is in the middle of the lake wide open to the wind. I too enjoy the seasons. I get acclimated to the cold and its no big deal. Enjoy snow skiing, ice boating and winter hikes. Come March though I'm ready for the warmth and to get back on the water. Just wondering if you southerners acclimate to the heat. When I was in Charleston for the Malibu this year it was F____g HOT! Kicked my ass.

Rick Bohn
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,879 Crazy Baller
    edited December 2017
    Ya my one neighbor refused to sign off. Have a portable in my garage mostly for hope.

I've also never sunburnt my feet in Michigan.
  • shansen345shansen345 Posts: 72 Baller
    San Diego. City is awesome and you can drive 15 mins to ski in Mission Bay or an hour and a half to ski at Imperial Lakes.
    Seattle area in the summer is, however, unbeatable. Home of Radar, Ski Park, Hilltop, etc...
    ALPJrjimbrakeballsohard
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 952 Crazy Baller
    @LakeOneSkier Thanks for spilling the beans!! I would have said something earlier, but then @horton might decide to move here. :)
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
    ntxskihard
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,073 Mega Baller
    @LakeOneSkier $&@# it shut up!
    If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding.
    thagerntx
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,841 Mega Baller
    edited December 2017
    @Bruce_Butterfield Don't fret cousin! If skiers moved there they would have to like dueling banjo's, moonshine, and meetin the relatives, not to mention becoming handy at moving the house....
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Bruce_Butterfield
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 634 Crazy Baller
    In the last few years, I've started taking my sky with me to different parts of the world.

If it weren't for language and work — in other words, if I had enough money that it didn't matter — I'd seriously consider Italy. For everything else first (culture, food, etc.), skiing second... but there seem to great clubs/lakes well-placed throughout the country. The same could probably be said for France. A little further south, there's a great club 30 minutes from Madrid, Spain, or another an hour from Lisbon, Portugal.
    ski6jonesjipster43
  • skihardskihard Posts: 515 Crazy Baller
    This is a hard pill to swallow seeing views like this for 300+ days of the year.
    Did I mention we skied in just shorts until Dec 10th this year! :)

2014 Carbon Pro, Radar Pro Build Lithium Vapor w/ Vapor Carbitex Boa Bindings - life's about working hard and then having fun on the water! I am - are you?
    Fam-man
  • swatercaswaterca Posts: 6 Baller
    When you qualify best as: affordability, proximity to work and a great potential return on investment then you would have to consider Ski Texas Phase One. Just finishing up reforming the banks of the south lake, and in three or so years drain the lakes and rebuild them.
    drew
  • SkierAtHeartSkierAtHeart Posts: 3 Baller
    I am very curious in this topic as well. What about Tennessee?
    akale15
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,828 Administrator
    edited January 8
    I was talking to @liquidz today and I'm pretty sure Sacramento is Paradise. Nice weather, a long season, and affordable skiing at world-class sites. If they could just get rid of @dirt the place would be perfect.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

jipster43
  • DavidNDavidN Posts: 85 Baller
    Yup, I can highly recommend Drew, if you are looking in the central Florida area! He was of exceptional help, finding us our new paradise and guiding us through the whole process of buying a property down here a few years back. Can’t thank him enough for all he’d done and all he went through with us as foreign buyers. I really can’t say enough good things about him. Thanks again Drew, you couldn’t have found us a better place to live and we absolutely love our new home!

jayskiALPJrAlvin_NeffGWaterski
  • bananaronbananaron Posts: 84 Baller
    For me the best place to live is where I am now.The Brainerd lakes area of northern MN.I live on a public lake however most of the time its mine to enjoy perfect water and conditions.I ski from may 1st and well into october and ski 2 or even 3 times a day.My season is shorter however I probably get more runs in then most people in warmer climates.The MN economy is strong and lakeshore is reasonable.I probably have 400 lakes within a short distance from my place that would be perfect for skiing.When it turns to ice you can head to a warm climate and do some skiing.For me its utopia.......a skiers paradise!!

Ron Engblom Brainerd lakes,minnesota
    ALPJrjipster43
  • drewdrew Posts: 48 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    @DavidN thank you for the glowing endorsement and kind words, and most of all, glad to hear that you love your wonderful paradise! Beyond the exceptional conditions of your place, I can imagine the pleasure of living amongst the incredible group of skiers you have there. And isn't it nice to see that we have a return to glorious temperatures in the days ahead!
    DavidNYoughskier
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 1,672 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    We just got back from Orlando, and it seemed like I saw a course on every little pond we came across. I'd consider retiring / semi-retiring in FL, but have a pretty strong fear of those alligators. Do you FL guys just get used to the idea of sharing the water with them? Is the law of averages of an attack so on your side, that you don't think about it? I think I'd shart myself if I saw a set of gator eyes staring at me while floating in the water.
    Scott Calderwood
  • McGruderMcGruder Posts: 23 Baller
    @swc5150 I'd worry more about the gators if I DIDN'T see their eyes. Seriously, no longer ski with them, but did years ago. It was never a problem for us, though they'd get a bit close at times. Crocs I'd worry about. Gators not so much.
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,073 Mega Baller
    @swc5150 the interesting thing about gators is that they can smell fear as their next meal. Notice you only hear from the skiers who aren't afraid and not so much from the skiers who are.
    If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding.
    swc5150
    If I could live ANYWHERE it would be @Drew's house.

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

ReggieO
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,596
    @Horton ... is totally correct..Drew's Guest House puts my house to shame !!!
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
  • GWaterskiGWaterski Posts: 25 Baller
    My vote -- Central Florida!
    I was a long time Michigan skier, and it's was great!
    Yes, the season is relatively short, you have the 'spotter' law on the public lakes and have to be really nice to others on the lake and the riparians - otherwise lose your course permit and deal with the DNR/DEQ or find buoys cut off . The ski friendships and brotherhood is fantastic. I'm hoping they all move to FL :-)
    Finally, I had the chance to move to warmer weather and toured around most of South and Central FL, finally settling in the Orlando area. As @swc5150 said, "it seemed like I saw a course on every little pond we came across". Finding the right house was relatively easy after I made a map of all the ski course lakes. (Yes, I will share if anyone wants....email is in my profile).
    Now I can hit the water year around, anytime I have a driver - no spotter necessary - love it!

MISkierswc5150randy menyskihacker
    @Ed_Johnson what! @drew has a guest house? He never takes my phone calls. Now that I know he has a guest house he's really never going to answer his phone.

Ed_Johnson
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,897 Mega Baller
    @GWaterski, I hope to at least spend 4-6 months a year in Florida, eventually. Still need to work a while.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    GWaterski
  • HockdogHockdog Posts: 117 Baller
    Horton may have to do some East Coast style research and compare it to West Coast.
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,679
    edited January 13
    @drew is the winner and one lucky guy, I love his place which for pure water skiing can't be beat.

If you want to be able to water ski in the summer and snow ski in the winter Utah is hard to top with close access to so many great ski resorts. In Utah we water ski from March to November.

- President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - USI Tech pays for my water ski addiction
    bajaWishakale15jipster43