Short Deep or Long Shallow

2»

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 24,622 Administrator
    Reading the thread by @Tap about fin surface reminded me that my original thesis was lost in this discussion. I happen to be a firm believer that a shallower fin or less total fin for On Side is almost always better. So for the "fan boys", yes, I think Adam and Adam really found something there.

The point of the video and this thread is that depth impacts tail depth and ski attitude. My question for the brainiacs is if surface area and Center of Pressure are kept static why would a deeper fin pull the tail down more than a shallower fin?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

• GloersenGloersen Posts: 728 Crazy Baller
    edited January 9
    if surface area and Center of Pressure are kept static why would a deeper fin pull the tail down more than a shallower fin?

for a given, fixed FSA, X-axis centroid can be maintained with corresponding DFT adjustment.

However, for a fixed FSA, the fin with the greater depth, the unadjustable Y-axis centroid moves down (although the asymmetrical washer technique can mitigate this) as @tap calculated; this will yield the onside results on the tail/tip as @Horton describes, imo.

It's all cool stuff but look forward to the self-adjusting SmartFin(tm)
    Friluftsliv - stå løpet ut!
2»