would every ski work for everyone?

skisprayskispray Posts: 145 Baller
edited May 2009 in Technique & Theory
There's a lot of talk about how all the skis out these days are excellent.  Well, after a god-awful day of skiing today, I was thinking that I need to sell my piece of *#[email protected]@%# ski, because I feel like I've been in a slump since I bought it.  On the other hand, every once in a while the ski works great for me, which got me thinking: do you think that any of the new skis can work for any skier or are there some skis you would never, ever buy because they just don't jive with you?  Are there some skis that you wouldn't buy because they are too sensitive to fin adjustments, the mold just doesn't fit your style, etc?  Have you ever tried a ski that was so great out of the box you just had to have it?  In short, are some skis better than others hands down, are some skis better for a certain type of skier, or is it possible for anyone to ski well on any of the skis out right now?  I just want to know what people think about the issue and hear some personal stories.

Comments

• BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 6,028
    I think there are definitely skis that fit certain styles better. Each has their own idiosynchrosies. Now, a skier might be able to compensate for just about any ski, but who wants to be just riding one and not skiing it. Hell, JTH is such a bad man that he could probably run his average on a 2x6 with tennis shoes nailed to it! ;)
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• ktm300ktm300 Posts: 399 Baller
    I have learned the very hardest way that even with a ski that may fit your style, you need to ski on three of them and pick the one that works best.  While some manufacturers do a fine job of meeting consistency targets, many don't.  Get three different "X" skis, and you may be surprised at the difference between skis that are supposedly identical.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,763 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    <p>
    I think that most all of the new skis can be ridden if you are willing to make some adjustments in your "style." I have ridden most of the new top of line skis in the past 12 months and could use most any of them. Some would be easier to get on than others, but I have not ridden a "bad" ski since the System 8 at the first ski test.
    </p>
    <p>
     As an aside, sometimes the style change a ski demands may help you as a skier. As an example my wife is currently riding an A1 while waiting on a new ski. (not a HO) She is typically a tail rider which the A1 is not designed for. Well, after a few sets she is noticeably more over the middle of the ski in the turns and it is working better. It is not a "forgiving ski" for her due to her tendencies, but it is teaching her something.
    </p>
    <p>
     This gets back to a previous discussion. Does a good ski let you get by with your mistakes, or does a good ski "make" you a better skier?
    </p>
    <p>
    sj
    </p>
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,168 Administrator
    <p>
    Jones,
    </p>
    <p>
    That goes back to my idea that the Connelly forces me to to do some things that other skis do not demand. After skiing on the Connelly I rip on what ever I am on because of what the Connelly made me practice.
    </p>

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• dislanddisland Posts: 1,288 Mega Baller
    <p>
    The only way to find the best ski is to try them.
    </p>
    <p>
     Bruce Butterfield told me that the best way to know if a ski works well for you is not if you add a bouy to your PB, but if your consistency goes up.
    </p>
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,082 Baller
    I definitely think you have to find the ski that fits you. I just bought a D3 Nomad RCX at the end of last season after being on a 2000 O'brien Mapple for 8 seasons. I tried the HO Syndicate A1. I liked it because it was very fast, but it did not match my skiing style. It would slip out from  under me after finishing the turn. I skied on it for two weeks. I ended up on the D3 Nomad RCX which worked nearly perfect for me right out of the box. I was worried that I was not going to be able to find a ski that would work for me. I have always been on O'briens with the tunnel bottom. 1986 TRC, 1993 Synergy Z, and then the 2000 Mapple. Some of my fellow skiers have HO CDX's on my lake. Everyone else on my lake was afraid to ski on my Mapple because it rolled on edge very easy. My philosphy is try different skis until you find one that responds the best for you right out of the box.
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
    <p>
    First of all: any top of the line ski made in the last few years is miles better then anything made 10 years ago.
    </p>
    <p>
    As to the question of “would every ski work for everyone?”:  the answer is simple. Yes and No.

Yes: If you could quantify differences between all the skis in question, we are talking about 10ths of a percent. If you had the time to line up the X5, RCX, Z7, Elite, A1, Prophecy, 9900, 9900 WR, RS-1, Fisher, Reflex and whatever else: most skiers would eventually have nearly the same average score.
    </p>
    <p>
    No: When you get down to brass tacks, all the skis have a slightly different personality. Some skis get wide no matter what you do. Some skis require more handle control to get as wide. Some skis break your back after 6 passes and some skis take very little effort to get around the same balls. Each ski requires a different amount of front foot pressure to turn and different amounts on each side. Some skis change direction all at once and some carve back. Each ski has a different amount of forgiveness and different range of acceptable skier inputs.
    </p>
    <p>
    Example: I recently went from a 08 Connelly Prophecy to an off spec R&D Radar that is basically a MPD (I think). These two skis are at totally different ends of the spectrum. The Radar demands a lot of front foot pressure, always gets wide and is not a lot of work to ski on. The Connelly turns hard no matter what you do but only gets wide if you control the handle off the second wake.  The differences are more then what I have covered here.
    </p>
    <p>
    So the trick is to find the ski that fits your skiing.
    </p>

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• DirtDirt Posts: 1,583 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Maybe it is your skiing and not your ski. Just a thought, Peabody. I have always believed quality is more important than quantity. I remember the famous Jack Hanna telling me, "if you ski every day for the next five years, you might be mediocre." How true. I flew over Dr. Harsch on Friday and it looked like he was at 41 again. Hard to tell from 500 feet though. There is some good skiing going on at BelAqua.
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
    <p class="MsoNormal">
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000">Ladies and Gentlemen: The one and only David Smart has graced us with his wisdom. </font>
    </p>
    <p class="MsoNormal">
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3" color="#000000">I hate skiers that I once coached that now ski rings around me. Bastard!</font>
    </p>

• Old MS AccoutOld MS Accout Posts: 2,114 Baller
    Peabody. That Rocks.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,763 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    <p>
    Which ski was it that won't break your back?
    </p>
    <p>
    sj
    </p>
    Acme Groove

• DirtDirt Posts: 1,583 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    <p>
    Horton, you know you always could ski circles around me. If I had your natural ability and talent I would be a good skier. I wish Jack Hanna had not lied to me. I have skied more than the five years and didn't even make mediocre. It is a great sport and I enjoy the website. Keep up the good work.
    </p>
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,053 Mega Baller
    edited May 2009
    I was fortunate to judge in a tower with Jack Hanna last summer @ Regionals, we should all try to support tournament skiing as much as he has.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    Should we all do wake board ads in the buff?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file