Here are @OB
's powershells with V2.0 gatormod.
The challenge I'm facing with modding the powershells is the flexible plate. It allows the back foot to lift off the ski as the plate bends in between front heel and rear toe. So, in an OTF crusher, front foot can stay planted even as the Velcro peels off under the back foot. This makes it more likely that all the weight will get transferred onto the front foot and then overflex the front ankle. POP goes the AT. Or SNAP go the ankle bones.
But, people love the fact that the plate flexes (to a certain extent) with the ski. So, I need to let the plate flex along with the ski, but then get stiff as hell once it flexes beyond what the ski will do.
My first try had rails along both sides of the plate. They allowed flex, but were too big and close to the edge of the ski.
V2.0 has telescoping graphite rods between front and rear towers. As long as the plate is flexing along with the ski, the rods just slide within each other. But, if @OB
goes OTF, the cord attached to his front knee will pivot that lever at the rear, (with all the holes in it) and pry most of the rear half of the plate off the ski. As the rear heel lifts, the tops of the front and rear towers get much closer together. The telescoping rods run out of travel, the towers can get no closer together, and the plate becomes, in effect, an aluminum and graphite I-beam. If he keeps going OTF, the cord can then peel the complete, now stiff (albeit with a bit of a smile in it) plate off the ski. NO POP.
This is also interesting since if it works, we can run any boots on a flexible Velcro plate. And, we don't need to be as precise about how much Velcro we use, since we're using displacement of the front knee rather than lifting force at the heel to drive the release.
To set the allowable flex, I put the plate on my poor busted Prophecy, (how much better would Howley have looked in the picture with a nice orange '13 that matched his t-shirt?) propped it on two blocks of wood at tip and tail, and jumped up and down on it as hard as I could. Kept shortening the rods until they didn't touch no matter how hard I jumped.
Yes, those graphite shafts are indeed hunting arrows.
No, I didn't drill lightening holes. @Horton
assures us weight is not an issue, and this mod hasn't added much to begin with. I'm actually in @eleeski
camp on binding weight, but I have a rule that correlates machine tools I use with how much of the six pack I've drunk. By 5 into it, I've worked my way down from mills and grinding wheels to only drill presses, and somewhere between 5 and 6 only allen wrenches remain on the approved list. So, at the point it was time to drill the lightening holes, drill presses were off limits.
Yes, I know there are easier ways to integrate the towers. I didn't think of that till I was almost done.