Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Visual plot line for ski design

ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 801 Crazy Baller
edited April 2014 in Skis Fins Bindings
After reading another post about a Baller wanting trade X ski for Y ski, some of the responses included that X is on the opposite end of the spectrum compared to Y.

I would have never known that and I doubt you could get that kind of information by reading company marketing material.

I know "independent ski tests" are merely an attempt to describe the characteristics of the ski... So I'm wondering if a plot line graph / chart would help skiers visually place a ski in its respective quadrant and understand what it's trying to do.

This is done in other industries (e.g. financial services), why not here?

Radar kind of already does this in their brochure, but the graph is limited to their own brand, is lineal and and has basic criteria.

Why not a quadrant with stability, control, speed, turning, etc?
Anthony Warren

Comments

• Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 696 Crazy Baller
    Great idea...
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,729 Administrator
    I hear you but no. I spent 3 years trying to numerically define skis and consider it to be a mistake. Imagine numerically defining cars without a stopwatch or telemetry. It is all feel.

I dare you to try to get all the Ballers to agree on what something simple like "speed" for "fast" means

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Than_Bogan
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,822 Mega Baller
    I'm convinced that the feeling of fast or speed is related to the amount of back leg straightening...
    Btw, whaever ski @Horton is skiing on is always in the top right quadrant.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    skibugThan_Bogan
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,039
    @ToddL, yes one axis of the graph would have to be relative to back knee angle of flexion.
    Bob Grizzi