Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much wind is too much?

Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,190
edited April 2014 in News & Other Stuff
Perhaps I'm too spoiled on good water, but we have minor tree protection and our lakes tend to get pretty breezy during the spring and fall months. While I realize all water time is beneficial in some way, I'm curious where others draw the line and decide to wait for better conditions to ski?
Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***

How much wind is too much? 80 votes

I don't let wind of any velocity or any direction get in the way of my training
16%
DWjwrLZywicki1RichardDoaneBruce_ButterfieldMattPJody_SealricoDkLkSkrSkoot1123Moggiejackengeloldjeep 13 votes
15-20mph+ down the lake prevents me from skiing or shortening the rope beyond my comfort zone
35%
auskierski6jonesscotchipmandislandblockanimalA_BCam[Deleted User]PSMBoneHeadGarnMrs_MSjipster43skinutjayskisunperchandjulesDaveLemonsklindy 28 votes
15-20mph+ across the lake prevents me from skiing or shortening the rope beyond my comfort zone
8%
kstateskierlondonskierski4xtcchris_loganGaryWilkinsonskihackerRadarWiedmer 7 votes
15-20mph+ in any direction and I'm taking the day off
40%
HortonMarcoskibugChef23LeonLGAJ0004jmvana1Lieutenant DanAKShortlineMrBskiboynyRazorskier1Pat MdbskiIlivetoskibananaronThe_MSMichaelGoodmanmusclefixerT8skier 32 votes

Comments

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,058 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Depends on the site and the protection. Lengthwise 15-20 mph yah I'll give you a pull if you want.

Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Texas6
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 951 Mega Baller
    15-20mph+ down the lake prevents me from skiing or shortening the rope beyond my comfort zone
    I'll take a crosswind before I'll take winds at those speeds head/tail. Less than 15 and I'm in whatever the direction.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    Texas6Bulldog
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,925 Mega Baller
    I should probably ski more when it is windy in case it is windy during a tournament but I usually don't.
    Mark Shaffer
    Texas6
  • doonezdoonez Posts: 150 Baller
    Crosswinds are so much harder to ski in than head/tail IMO.
    Skoot1123
  • CamCam Posts: 317 Solid Baller
    15-20mph+ down our lake makes it unskiable as we have no protection in that direction, but we can manage that with a crosswind it is only the gusts that can make it a bit scary.
    Texas6
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    I thought 20mph was too windy until I skied at pickos- I'll ski there on lake 2 all day long with 15-20. My new home site... Not so much.
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
  • bojansbojans Posts: 254 Baller
    The option of "I grab the jumpers or trick ski" was not provided
    Texas6
  • jwrjwr Posts: 337 Baller
    I'll slalom in just about anything. I would probably skip the 20 knot tail jump practice. Unless I hadn't gotten to ski in awhile.

Obrien Elite 30" 6.845, 2.510, .80 PB [email protected]
    Texas6chris_logan
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,766 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    It is situational. We used to ski at a roughly 60 ac airport lake that ran with the prevailing winds. in the spring it could be a bear, but if you wanted to ski, you had to do it. For me it boiled down to safety. If I really though I might get hurt I wouldn't go.

Having said that, you would be surprised at what you can run in the wind. After the first couple of passes it seems the boat kinda "knocks the chop down" a bit. I had a tremendous amount of fun boat judging a collegiate out there back in the perfect pass days. Gary Weideman from Houston was driving and we were swinging +80-90 in the head wind and -60 average in the tail. You would think no one could run a pass right? Seems that Ian Trapp and Brad Priekulus finished 1-2 with scores at the far end of -39.
    Texas6Bruce_Butterfield
  • ChadWChadW Posts: 99 Baller
    10mph is the limit at my site. Above that and we're approaching white-caps.
    Texas6
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    I draw the line at well developed white-caps both for my personal safety and to avoid battering the livelyness out of my ski unnecessarily.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    Texas6Bulldog
  • MrBMrB Posts: 146 Baller
    East wind at 10 mph is our limit. West wind at any speed is OK. Head/tail at 10 mph gives us at least half a course to ski.
    Texas6
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,407 Crazy Baller
    At our site, that kind of wind from any direction will cause whitecaps. After 2 surgeries from skiing relate injuries, I now always lean in the direction of safety. If I skied at a site where the wind didn't affect the water so much, I'd probably ski for training purposes.

When you live on a private lake with glass conditions on many days, it is hard to get motivated to ski in crappy conditions, although it would be beneficial for training for tournament preparation.
    Texas6
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,391 Mega Baller
    I find value in nearly anything. But I will give up if it becomes clear I cant get through my opener. I'm amazed to see folks who prefer cross. Crosswinds are so damn difficult. Always learn something on those days!
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Texas6
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,397 Administrator
    edited April 2014
    Two wind speeds in Bakersfield. 3 mph from north or 50 mph from south

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

kstateskier
  • GroovyGrantGroovyGrant Posts: 52 Baller
    I'm so close to an OTF at any given second that I don't need the added benefit of white caps coming over the tip of the ski to ensure a spectacular crash!
    Grant Miller--Table Rock Lake, Missouri
    Texas6
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    Once again from back-back:

Supposedly, Wayne Grimditch's dad would look out on the lake when the conditions
    were adverse, and tell him something like "Ah, tournament conditions!" And, then he
    would go out and ski.

In the Olde Daze, at Cypress Gardens, they put on ski shows in about everything short
    of tornadoes. And, before they had the massive tire barrier there, whitecaps were a normal
    condition. I'm sure that people like Lynn Novakofski have many stories.
    oldjeepTexas6
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,499 Mega Baller
    edited April 2014
    Depends on the site, but you would be surprised how well you can ski if you just suck it up and get after it. At my site I have skied in 25-30 and just short of white caps. Sometimes miss the first pass or 2, but after adjusting I can get within a few buoys of normal.

It is a huge advantage at tournaments with tough water conditions and you think it's nothing unusual.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    Texas6
    The real question is the amount of chop. The texture of the water is what makes the difference to me. Wind speed is totally different than water texture depending on how protected the water is.

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    15 is about my cutoff point. Below that I will ski - season is short in MN. Above that, it just isn't fun anymore and no one wants to ski with me anyway.
    Jim Ross
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,066 Mega Baller
    The wind isn't the issue on down the lake, we white cap above 15. I like cross winds, it makes me focus more on what I'm doing. We also have decent cross wind protection.
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,190
    I agree @Horton, the texture is the ultimate driver and protection helps dictate texture. 15 is about the max I like to deal with in any direction out here because we have very little protection. More than that and I generally ski terribly and work far harder to do it. If I could somehow negotiate a 5mph head wind both directions my average would greatly improve
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,423 Crazy Baller
    We travel 40 minutes to get to our club, so it has to be really blowing before we give up the ghost. However, our lake has very little wind protection so anything over 15 makes for some dismal passes. All in all It's pretty darn fun to run a sweet pass in high winds.
    doonez
  • teammalibuteammalibu Posts: 782 Crazy Baller
    In Dallas they dont start measuring till it gets over 20.
    Mike Erb Cedar Ridge Canton Miss.
    Horton is my hero
    ski6jonesThe_MS
    @rico need to work on your english

• bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 459 Crazy Baller
    It's true @teammalibu. I've got to ski with him many times here in Dallas. We all get used to skiing in crosswinds 20 to 25. The water stays in pretty descent shape but you definitely have to stay with it when heading into the wind. Timing is everything. At Dean's Lake, they are professional wind skiers. Head Tail a ton. I go up there with my crosswind prowess and get schooled on head tails. It's all good.. CS over and out
  • CamCam Posts: 317 Solid Baller
    Skied my 1st set today in a 15mph crosswind, just as I was getting in the boat for my 2nd the wind turned to this, went home.
  • XR6HurricaneXR6Hurricane Posts: 327 Baller
    I'm in northern Illinois. A lifetime of boating, skiing, fishing, motorcycling, and hiking has taught me one very important thing: If you wait for good weather, you'll never go.
    Texas6
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,213 Mega Baller
    I will usually time my sets around the winds. Early or late if need be.
    Shut up and ski
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,659 Mega Baller
    I just go ski in the Gator hole on Deer point or lake two at Pickos when the wind is up!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.