When you go to a tournament what is your goal?

HortonHorton Posts: 31,491 Administrator
edited April 2014 in News & Other Stuff

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf★ Reflex★ Radar★ Rodics OffCourse ★ Stokes

When you go to a tournament what is your goal? 108 votes

I am there to compete against the other skiers on the dock
2%
jimbrakeChris RossiJody_Seal 3 votes
I am there compete against my own personal average
62%
ScarletArrowski6jonesMarcoscotchipmanblockjwrAlberto SoaresA_BteammalibuChef23RichardDoaneShortenitKelvinThan_BoganLeonLGAJ0004h2oskiCraigskialexjipster43 67 votes
I am there to improve my position on a National or International standings list
21%
HortonauskiertsixamdislandskiepCamPSMjrsForrestGumpjmvana1dave2ballraynjayskiwebbdawg99IlivetoskiKlundellricoT8skierDkLkSkrTravisNW 23 votes
I do not ski tournaments
6%
Chuck_DickeyBulldogcamjamscuppersmatejaskihardChadW 7 votes
I am just there for the fun and to see friends
7%
skidawgthagerMrs_MSmarkchilcuttdtm8119The_MSskibummbojans 8 votes

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 31,491 Administrator
    Yes I know that most of us want to click more than one option. Just click the one that is MOST true

Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Follow ★ Goode ★ GiveGo ★ HO Syndicate ★ MasterCraft

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,865 Mega Baller
    ...because if I beat my own personal average...it will also improve my position in national rank.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    webbdawg99
  • LZywicki1LZywicki1 Posts: 368 Crazy Baller
    Just going to start to go a few tournaments this year so I'll go with personal best.
    First thing we get rid of the safety equipment
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    I love to compete and to be consistent about hitting my scores. I also really enjoy hanging out with friends. Tough call.
    Jim Ross
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,385 Mega Baller
    As age catches up with me I care less and less about my average. It's all about friends and having a good time.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,983 Mega Baller
    I need multiple selection. Every reason applies, although the first one is least relevant to me except maybe at regionals.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,431 Crazy Baller
    Ditto what @Razorskier1 said.
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 1,245 Open or Level 9 Skier
    Depends. Regs/Nats/BigDwag to compete with the skiers on the dock. Most other tournaments a combination of preparing for the big tournaments and having fun with friends. Overall I feel like I am skiing vs my average. Rankings are neat, but not a big motivator for me
  • E_TE_T Posts: 629 extraterrestrial trouble maker
    @horton beer is not a option..
    E.T. phone home!
    I like reese's pieces

"Leave nothing on the dock"~AM
    ski6jonesHortonchris_logan
  • jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,460 Crazy Baller
    There are too many reasons to go to tournaments to list on one thread.
  • WishWish Posts: 8,417 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    What @6Balls said...
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    I need one that says I am there to beat @rayn. In men's 4 I am not good enough to win. My goal is to run -35 in a tournament and qualify for Nationals.
    Mark Shaffer
  • h2oskih2oski Posts: 176 Baller
    Beating my average at a tournament, makes a great day better.
    Terry Bandel ezfintool.com AWSA Regular Judge & Driver
    @rico you live in Florida, you do not work and you are over 6 feet tall.

If you do not pass my average this year you are a failure as a human being and should be shipped back to France in disgrace .

ricoIlivetoski
    edited April 2014
    @rico I have 2 jobs & I am rounding up when I say I am 5'9

• markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 947 Crazy Baller
    Watching my daughter pb is the highlight.Fun and friends is next on the list. Also really cool to watch Rossi and Parsons rip it when they are skiing!
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,792 Mega Baller
    it's a bonus to be able to hit your average at a new site
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,641 Crazy Baller
    What @6balls and @Wish said.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 3,508 Mega Baller
    I am there to compete against the other skiers on the dock
    This is one of the better pol's recently. It shows the mind set of How the skiers in the trenches think about the sport and how it has changed since the advent of national rankings vs Ratings. Our Sport is no longer a sporting competition but rather a "Trials". Our rules are set up for group division competition and change in many of the current rules should be made to accommodate the Trials / Record mentality that the sport has become.Their really is not a true Competition until Regional's and National's or cash prize. Time for a new set of rules?

I voted "I am there to compete against the other skiers on the dock" However that one should have read: I am there to compete against the other skiers in my division or ability.
    It is a kinder gentler world and every one needs a medal nowadays!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,865 Mega Baller
    @mattp true. Not trying to hijack or redirect thread but I can't think of one of my former ski team members that has skied any tourney's since. Many ski recreationally, some ski buoys, but no tourneys. Not sure how to get more to make that transition.
    More "on topic" I do also go to tourneys to catch up with others socially, to just "hang out" around skiing, and hopefully see some skiers put out some amazing performances. I LOVE boat judging shortline 36 mph skiers--holy buckets they are fast!
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    webbdawg99
  • Alberto SoaresAlberto Soares Posts: 365 Solid Baller
    I am heading this week to Guadalajara, Mexico - great oportunity to learn with the big dawgs and have a good time with my latin friends. Also want to raise my ranking and will do my best to win my category.
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,492 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    I usually go head to head with @Horton if he is skiing on the same weekends as I am.
    After that, its friends, beer and having fun.
    Shut up and ski
    When I ski against @ms the goal is to see how far below his average I can make him ski

OTFThe_MS
  • OTFOTF Posts: 402 Crazy Baller
    @horton why is there not a icon for me laughing my a off?
    schafer
  • webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
    What @6balls said
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Part of going to tournaments is to prove to yourself that you can ski your practice scores in tournaments, when someone is actually keeping score. I find the tournament setting energizing, exciting and fun and I really like to watch skiing. Boat judging is cool. A cold beer at the end of the tournament day with friends is awesome!
    Jim Ross
    Horton
  • Moskier3evMoskier3ev Posts: 188 Baller
    Everyone of the items listed, except I do not ski in tournaments. There are guys on the dock I want to beat. I want to improve my average or move up on a list. Drink beer at the end and say I missed it by that much... with my friends.. Its fun seeing kids do well. I really enjoy helping put on a tournament where everyone skis well has fun and makes it to the river for post tournament evaluations.

Jeff Lindsey

• chris_loganchris_logan Posts: 360 Crazy Baller
    edited April 2014
    Unless I go to a tournament out of state, in AL I am pretty much the only M2 skier and definitely the only consistent M2 3 event skier, so I basically go out looking for a PB every tournament to improve my rankings. I want to feel like I deserve to be at Regionals for at least one event, since I have been qualifying by default. Otherwise, I am really there just to hang out with friends and have fun. Key goal: Big spray and crew amusement.
    Always looking for a pull... Will you be my boatdriver?