Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am pretty sure Chuck from Eagle is going to kill Nate Smith

HortonHorton Posts: 28,515 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ McClintock's

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,973 Mega Baller
    Not to mention Nautique and D3.
    Mark Shaffer
    jcamp
  • Eagle1Eagle1 Posts: 25 Baller
    Day one was quite amazing. Nate learned two front toe holds (2 on shoes and 1 on feet). In the same set, he learned backwards on shoes, and by the 2nd set did a back to front. His comment was "It's been a long time since I've been this sore. I'm definitely using muscles I don't use in slalom". Finished with an hour in the hot tub and off for a Mexican dinner. 6 am comes quick and that's also a new thing for him.
    kstateskier
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    edited April 2014
    Just when I thought Nate couldn't possibly be any more impressive as an athlete . . .
    The guy is simply awesome.
    (And I'm sure glad we get to listen to V8s while driving slalom boats!)
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    Bulldog
    Here's the link to the video that recaps Day 1.
    vimeo.com/92723319

WishklindyBulldogSkoot1123
  • WishWish Posts: 7,920 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited April 2014
    @Eagle1 It's like watching an auto race. Nobody wants to see a crash but..... Find yourself saying ..don't crash don't crash.!.!. I remember learning those back when.. Wish I had the proper coaching and shoes. Nail biter. Hope to see more!!!
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,346 Mega Baller
    Awesomeness!!! @Eagle1‌ looks like a great day to learn some barefoot tricks!
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
  • KlundellKlundell Posts: 432 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Nate has some serious stones! I have no desire to ever take the beating to learn that.
    He's definately tough. Barefooting is something that you'll get one day and feel like you totally forgot the next. He's a natural at all front tricks. He's never come up long-line before, but as soon as he did, he crosses the wakes like it's no big deal.
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    every pro skier is watching this, hoping Nate quits slalom to start footing professionally!
    Wish
    Why would anyone want to do that when there is a perfectly good slalom course right there.
    Mark Shaffer
    Than_BoganA_Bschafer
    Don't worry, we're utilizing the slalom course as well. Most slalom skiers I know don't ski early enough to see water that smooth because of the morning glare from the sunrise. At least Nate tells me he typically doesn't.
    Bulldog
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,827 Mega Baller
    edited April 2014
    Awesome video @eagle1. Thinking the only thing Nate and I have in common is getting the one foot toe hold move in one session. That is about it!
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,515 Administrator

• Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    I ski at 6:30 in the morning so I can squeeze it in (a) before the lake is full of people and, (b) before work. Going west is easy. Going east can be tough! Sun is on the 2,4,6 first set -- you pretty much have to have faith in where the ball is and just ski your rhythm. Better by second set. As the sun moves, the driver ends up not being able to see the course for about 10 minutes sometime during our ski.
    Jim Ross
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 831 Mega Baller
    It's funny after our recent discussion on straight(er) legs in the course: Nate's natural tendency (first ride, 2.10-2.20s or so), even footing, is to straighten his legs. I thought he was going to have a nasty faceplant, but of course his athleticism & balance shines through.
    I had to give Nate the morning off today. He's pretty sore. When you see the video of Day 2 you'll understand. Day 2 he learned how to jump in and out of the boat at 42mph, Dolphin starts, Side Slides, more backwards, long-line starts (I was surprised he'd never gotten up long-line before), and long-line wake crossing. That's a lot for one very long set.
    kstateskierjmvana1
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,515 Administrator

• 6balls6balls Posts: 5,259 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    OK some observations:

@eagle1 and Nate rock.

Nate is seriously relaxed in the heat of a big moment which serves him very well in addition to his amazing balance and athleticism.

Mercury outboards have an extremely annoying beep before start, and are very loud at idle and under throttle...prefer my Yamaha for sure.

The height of the boom used for training these days does a lot of favors for learning barefoot tricks. Obtaining basic bare footing form and some basic tricks is easier today than ever before. Who remembers stepping out of skis at 40 plus in a stearns life vest at long line as the method to learn to barefoot? OK we got that down let's try a two ski bomb out at long-line. Learning to foot and subsequently learning barefoot tricks required tolerance for punishment.

Having said all of that...Nate is clearly a natural.

After Nate's training is all done, the reverse training episode of Nate training @eagle1 in the slalom course should be next.

Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Wish
  • WishWish Posts: 7,920 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    About 13 yrs ago I did a lot of footing with a knowledgeable footer in the spring time. I remember having sore everything but mostly core forearms and shoulders. Set me up for strong slalom later. Was like a boot camp for muscles utilized in slalom (there were others that were new and sore). So I'm wondering if this could actually do wonders for Nate in terms of overall strength, balance, coordination, and reaction time. I'm sure after this learning experience, a little spray from a slalom boat will feel like a gentle mist so no chance of that every being a excuse. Having a blast watching these videos. Keepm coming!!
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    Nate is a stud.
    Mark Shaffer
    For all you folks that are new to the Freestyle Barefoot scene and old farts who refuse to raise the boom above your knees (LOL!), here's the video Nate watched that inspired him to want to learn an ADV. ADV stands for Andre De Villiers. Andre has invented over 30 new barefoot tricks in the last 5 years and can do them all high, low, shortline and longline. One of my favorite tricks is the suicide hand-plant. See if you can point it out. vimeo.com/38067853
    klindySkoot1123
    BTW, I really appreciate all the posts. Nate's a great sport all around, and yes, he's been giving me slalom tips in return. Unfortunately, there's no video of me skiing. Go figure.
    kstateskier
  • manosmanos Posts: 3 Baller
    Can the nice lady with the camera do a trick Nate can't do yet? Have her demonstrate and then Nate gets 3 tries w/o instruction. If Nate fails @Eagle1 does laundry for a month. If Nate does it, footing bragging rights forever...
  • jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,433 Crazy Baller
    Shortbus! Nothing could be more aptly named! Awesome stuff.
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,827 Mega Baller
    This would be an awesome week at @eagle1's place. Lots of work, but lots of fun!
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    @Eagle1 any more video updates?
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!