seeing the neurosurgeon

6balls6balls Posts: 5,039 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
Long story short...bizarre symptoms. Investigation finds severe spinal stenosis C4-5 and C5-6 due to disc/osteophyte complex and severe bilateral neuroforaminal stenosis both levels. For those not in the biz this means my spinal cord is being squished in the spinal canal and the nerve roots coming off the spinal cord are also being squished by their canals at two vertebral levels in my neck. Had a discectomy at C6-7 sixteen years ago and no new injury...just bad spine degenerating with time.

Seeing neurosurgeon Wednesday. Can't stop taking prednisone without serious return of symptoms...when taking it very manageable but the side effects adding up over time. Bummer given ice finally off...most likley will be skiing vicariously though all of you for a bit.
Dave Ross--die cancer die

Comments

• AndreAndre Posts: 1,171 Crazy Baller
    Wow!Sorry to read this.
    Good luck and take the time to get well again!
  • PatmasterPatmaster Posts: 148 Baller
    I have the similar problem lower - L-4, 5. Excersises help so far, kept skiing, but nothing will ever be the same I guess. Keep us updated, maybe there is a way....
    AkBob
  • 94009400 Posts: 597 Crazy Baller
    Wishing you all the best.
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,189
    Man - sorry about that. Keep your head up!
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    Yikes, that's a cruel twist, @6balls‌! Here's hoping the neurosurgeon comes up with a good plan.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
  • WishWish Posts: 7,721 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Prayers your way my friend.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    Skoot1123ChadW
  • LZywicki1LZywicki1 Posts: 360 Crazy Baller
    My wife has been taking prednisone for her lupus, we know about those side affects. Hopefully you can get off it soon.
    First thing we get rid of the safety equipment
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,763 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    6. If you get a fusion this year, you should be fine for skiing next summer. Much less loading of the cervical spine than lumbar spine with what we do. (and life in general) Of course every situation is different, but in general I would rather have a cervical surgery than lumbar. Look to the positive on this and good luck.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,039 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited April 2014
    @mrjones I'm guessing bilateral two level foraminotomy and two level laminectomy with fusion. I'm no neurosurgeon but seems that would be combo of anterior and posterior approaches....ugg.

With a well healed fusion you should be correct and I think that will need to be done to ski safely...I've got a lot of cord compromise on MRI at present and the wrong hard fall could turn out poorly.

If it were done soon, you think any chance of late season skiing? Lastly...yes much better cervical than lumbar. I will be driving everyone nuts during recuperation; I'm not good at sitting around doing nothing.
  • MSMS Posts: 5,155 Mega Baller
    Hang in there Dave.
    Shut up and ski
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,186 Administrator
    @6balls sorry to hear it. Getting old sucks

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,329 Mega Baller
    @Horton -getting old does suck but it beats the alternative
    @bananaron seeing Tom Bergstrom. Other top option was Tim Garvey. Others are good, too, and none easy to get into in timely fashion.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,352 Mega Baller
    My sympathy! Good luck my e-friend!
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    @than_bogan crank a bunch of 38's out this season and tell me all about 'em.
    Than_Bogan
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,793 Mega Baller
    @6balls‌ - here's to hoping you can get things figured out. Prayers sent your way.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,763 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    6. I would just be guessing. You would have to see what procedure is actually done, see how the surgeon feels about the fixation, the see what the follow up x rays look like as healing progresses. My thought would be to plan for next season and if it works out for later this year all the better!. Good luck with it.
    6balls
  • AndyAndy Posts: 213 Baller
    @6balls always get a second and then a third and possibly a fourth opinion before surgery of that type. Keep us posted.
    @andy will do if anything sounds out of line. I'm a family doc who refers many spine patients and have my favorites...which is why I'm seeing this specific physician. Having said that I will move on if the approach does not seem reasonable and/or he doesn't understand my unique circumstance; a 41 year old competitive in multiple sports that create significant strain yet define a large part of me; I need to get back to all of them safely at least for now. Someday there will be another chapter(s) in life but not yet if I can avoid it.
  • AndyAndy Posts: 213 Baller
    @6balls you have it covered. I injured my back L5S1 years ago, then my neck. I manage pain with exercise and it works for the most part in day to day stuff. However, a skiing fall I took yrs ago now slows me down pretty good, so I don't push the way I used to, but I still go several times a week. Injury does put a strain on the competitive side to be sure.
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    This sucks. Finally thought we might both be able to break free some Friday afternoons to ski and hang at the lake. Instead it looks like a season off for the young fella.
    Jim Ross
  • MarkMMarkM Posts: 108 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Wow! I'm going to the neuro surgeon in 1 hour for almost the exact same thing.
    This is my first visit with him.
    MRI shows stenosis in c5,c6. I have loss of strength in my left bicep and deltoid. I hope my season isn't lost.
    @markm keep us posted and good luck. I had C6-7 micro discectomy 16 yrs ago with strength loss in tricep, wrist extensor and pectoralis. Recovery there is quick. Question is whether you need laminectomy and fusion which means the longer recovery. Pretty sure my season is roasted, hopefully yours not. I'll work on my driving skills pulling around @razorskier1
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    @6balls‌ are u suggesting it takes effort to pull me?
    Jim Ross
    @razorskier1 oh no, fingertips only for sure. Maybe the larger issue is driver endurance for those 30 pass sets!
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,189
    I'm really sorry to hear about the injury and pray for a speedy recovery. Question for you guys with the back problems: What exactly happened to cause the injuries? Where these OTF's or something less dramatic than that?
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,418 Crazy Baller
    Very sorry to hear about the injuries. Heal quickly!
    @texas6 not sure. Bad spine heredity here and also significant over use on my part. No regrets for me. Very appreciative of all the kind comments...will know more soon with initial consult on Wed. Ballers rock.

• MarkMMarkM Posts: 108 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Ok so...I saw the neurosurgeon yesterday and here's the deal.
    I have c4/c5, c5/c6 issues. Slight bulging disk, spinal stenosis, pinched nerves, blah blah.
    He thinks a steroid shot could help. If not, then it's surgery time and I'll be out for 6-9 months.
    I've started Physical Therapy yesterday, and I'm going for a second MRI today that will be on some special machine that will give the neuro guy a clearer picture.

I've never had a neck injury or big crash. However, in my younger days (like a dumbass) I would do flips on a wakeboard. I'm sure I had several whiplashes when I would miss a flip. So, given that, age, and skiing 4 days a week my body is now angry with me.

So, Thursday is the steroid shot and let's hope that frees up the nerve and my strength returns to my bicep and deltoid. That's the goal!
    edited April 2014
    @markM did he think safe to ski given the stenosis even if the shot helps nerve root given the spinal stenosis?
    I see the doc tomorrow will let you know the scoop for me. I don't think there is a shot to help me...I'm thinking it's surgery.
    6-9 months out from surgery...ouch. What surgery did he propose in the event needed...two level laminectomy/fusion and foramenotomy?