Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ski Recommendations

Cumby85Cumby85 Posts: 34 Baller
Hi, new to this forum and looking for some suggestions/advice. I'm a previous skier that is looking at getting back into it with my family. Still have some equipment, but am probably going to need to find a slalom and maybe a trick ski. Let's just say that when I was skiing competitively, Kidder and EP were big brands. I'm hoping to find a solid performance slalom without breaking the bank. I'm fine with looking for something used. I just am not up to date as to what's out there and how much I should expect to spend to get a decent ski? Since I'm going to most likely have to get some equipment for the kids too, the cheaper I can get by with a decent ski, the better. Any recommendations on slaloms to look for and how much I should expect to pay? Same questions for a trick ski?
Erik4c

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 25,295 Administrator
    edited May 2014
    @Cumby85 Welcome aboard

I really need to write a something for the FAQ on this subject.
    If you are not into deep shortline and want something on a budget you cannot go wrong with either of these skis.
    http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/10398/radar-senate-mini-review
    http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/10111/ho-cx-superlite-partial-review

For new gear please visit the BallOfSpray advertisers listed at the bottom of this post.

Used skis? Get them from http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Slalom

Remember that you generally get what you pay for. Used gear can be a killer deal or a total waste of money.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• Cumby85Cumby85 Posts: 34 Baller
    Horton, on that senate, what's the big difference, beside cost, with the graphite vs. alloy? Also, will any brand binding work with most slaloms? Thanks.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,295 Administrator
    Any new bindings will fit most skis. With back bindings Connelly and D3 use a wider patter for the back holes. Some Radars use this also. There are easy work arounds for almost any combination.

The Senate Graphite is built from slightly better materials. It will be faster and is a better ski.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Horton, I'm most likely looking at having to pick up more equipment than I thought with getting the kids involved and needing a trick ski too. I may have to try to find something cheaper for now. Can you provide any recommendations on lower price point used skis that I might look for, maybe $200-$400 dollar range? I'm not concerned if its not the newest technology, or an older ski, as long as it is, or was, a tournament level ski capable of handling the slalom course. Thanks.
  • PurdueSkierPurdueSkier Posts: 151 Baller
    edited May 2014
    Tons of good stuff on ski it again. You do get what you pay for. It might be hard to find a good quality/condition ski under $400 with bindings but there are plenty sub $500 skis blank.
  • bogboybogboy Posts: 693 Baller
    @Cumby85‌, the latest generation triumph, IMO. Stable, reliable, and pretty fast. ( with the steps) I would love to try the new tx sl also, as well as the cx sl.
  • bogboybogboy Posts: 693 Baller
    I messed up... I meant to post the above to @gottaski in his " best course learning ski for 30mph". Will make a note to him in that colum.
    Horton, I missed an opportunity this fall to go test out some skis. Life happens. I'm seeing some Radar Strada's on Ski It Again that aren't terribly expensive. Wondering about it vs. the Senate for a good ski to get me back on the water and still give me something to grow into. Would that also be a good choice for someone that has not spent a lot of time in the course and has not been skiing for a long time?
  • MSMS Posts: 4,829 Mega Baller
    Yes
    Shut up and ski
  • bigtex2011bigtex2011 Posts: 406 Crazy Baller
    @cumby85 i ski on a radar. i didnt like the strada. i would go with a used vapor. more will show up on ski it again as early spring and summer nears good times chris
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 458 Solid Baller
    @Cumby85. One of my ski buddies went from barely running 28 mph to running 28 [email protected] 34 mph on a Senate in about 2 seasons. I am on a Strada. Its a good ski, but frankly I skied better on my older Connelly F1. I am currently in the market for a new ski. I think either a Senate or a Strada would be fine, but I wouldn't shy away from the Senate.
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,148 Mega Baller
    @jackkrash If you liked your F1, you would love the Prophecy. The Prophecy is replaced with the GT in 2015. I haven't tried it yet, but the reports are great.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly