Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How good are you at ski set up?

HortonHorton Posts: 25,347 Administrator
edited May 2014 in Skis Fins Bindings

How good are you at ski set up? 78 votes

No idea what I am doing
19%
DaveDAndreMAD11501BrandonMichaelGoodmantfriessOmlandallycatswardcoMoggiebojanselklaketomrockdogJJVDMZNSilent_Seven 15 votes
I hack at it
26%
Chef23Rpc299400londonskierjipster43skinut6ballsTylerRskier2788chris_loganGaryWilkinsonricojcampTDETkurtOnside135ToddFdoonezozskiPorkfight 21 votes
I get it done
35%
HortonEd_ObermeiertsixamscotchipmanjwrAlberto SoaresBoneHeadThan_Boganbf`MattPLakeOneSkierdancin4KMigkyaralskiboynyRazorskier1Pat MWishjackski 28 votes
I am pretty darn good at it
15%
auskierA_BLZywicki1RichardDoaneDragoskialexvgeorgeDeanoskijayskibkreisSkiJaygmut 12 votes
Rossi calls me when he needs help
2%
MSE_T 2 votes

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Comments

• RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,973 Mega Baller
    I am a legend in my own mind
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • Rpc29Rpc29 Posts: 185 Solid Baller
    I hack at it
    I'm painfully bad, @chrisrossi please help. I live in Utah!
    Ryan Christopher
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    I get it done
    I'm a bad amateur. If someone tells me what setting to use, I can usually get within a quarter inch of accurate! That's good, right? ;-)
    Jim Ross
    Onside135
  • WishWish Posts: 7,273 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I get it done
    I am king of trial and error. Usually takes me long enough to get a ski dialed in were the next seasons skies have come out. Well, maybe not that bad. I do tinker way to much. The S2 has to be the most opposite in adjustment making ski. If I think it should be A turns out B works better. Setting up others skies seems to be way easier with much better results.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,845 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I hack at it
    I'm best at deciding which binding holes work best :) Then I might fart around with the fin a bit initially but then mostly I fart around with trying to ski better. My ski doesn't do anything it isn't told to do by my technique or lack thereof. Predictable, stable, fast...it's on me.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • GaryWilkinsonGaryWilkinson Posts: 289 Baller
    I hack at it
    Wish I knew more about it. At an Andy clinic a few years ago Andy took a good 10 mins to adjust my fin and I went out and skied best of season performance.

Anyone have a 1-page "cheat sheet" that we could all benefit from without downloading the $50 fin adjustment guide from shchnitz?
    I need to ski back to the handle obviously.
  • gmutgmut Posts: 198 Baller
    whenever I change the settings on a fin I can guarantee that it will be better..........or worse.
    Silent_Seven
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,083 Mega Baller
    edited May 2014
    I get it done
    @gmut thank you Dr for that profound comment. :). Still have your viscosity cup to test the water??

And, yes, you're pretty darn good at it!!
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,347 Administrator
    I get it done
    @ms the only thing @chrisrossi‌ might need your help with is arctic dog sled set up.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Waternut
  • skialexskialex Posts: 716 Crazy Baller
    I set up skis for other skiers all the time with usually with good results. I'm a big fun of factory numbers and then work from there.
    My ski is dialed , I like to limit ski adjustments to the off season and when I feel happy with the result, try to ski as much as possible with the same setup and focus on technique, I wish!
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,026 Mega Baller
    I get it done
    I dont understand fins but I kinda understand evealuating an experiment. So with a little guidance I can get there.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • MSMS Posts: 4,848 Mega Baller
    Rossi calls me when he needs help
    @Horton You need to make sure the lead dog is the best.
    Shut up and ski
  • Onside135Onside135 Posts: 401 Crazy Baller
    I hack at it
    Does anyone know where to find the sheet you can print out paper copies of wing angles? I thought it was on the Goode site, but I can't seem to find it. This should give an indication of the level of ski setter upper I am..
  • Onside135Onside135 Posts: 401 Crazy Baller
    I hack at it
    A better Google search found it...for those interested, it's attached.
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 277 Baller
    Ahh the pleasures of movement to help fluidity!
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,555 Mega Baller
    I hack at it
    I can get the fin set if someone gives me numbers but I don't understand the changes to make.
    Mark Shaffer
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    I get it done
    I probably look at 3-4 different fin adjustment pages before making a change. I feel like they are all saying the same thing but some sites are better at putting fin movement into problems and fixes and others focus more on how the ski rides. Sometimes I want to adjust the attitude of the ski and others I'm looking to correct a poor attribute and it seems like one of them usually speaks the language I'm looking for.
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,973 Mega Baller
    I get it done
    I call Horton. Heaven help me.
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,339 Crazy Baller
    I get it done
    I know just enough to get deeply into trouble... Like @skialex I'll start with factory numbers and tweak from there. Once it works I pretty much quit trying to fix it.
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
    Than_Boganskialex
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 489 Solid Baller
    No idea what I am doing
    Absolutely no idea, my technique is where the problems are at.
  • AndreAndre Posts: 985 Crazy Baller
    No idea what I am doing
    I stay with factory settings.My fin hasn't move in 3 years.
    I've got bigger problems with staying stack to solve first...
  • syndicatesyndicate Posts: 14 Baller
    If I was any better I would be twins
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,208 Mega Baller
    Frustrated by all the conflicting and incomplete info out there I set out to figure out as much as I could about seven years ago and have never let up. I test all the ski's I can get my hands on, experiment with just about every theory I come across, and tech for anyone with an open mind. Ski tuning is fascinating.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    MattPMSThan_Bogan
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,968 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I get it done
    Great to see a few other guys say "I'm pretty darn good at it". Now I know who I can bother besides @SkiJay who I really trust.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
    SkiJayjipster43
  • Pat MPat M Posts: 571 Crazy Baller
    I get it done
    It only takes me an hour to adjust my fin. One adjustment has a effect on another. Its kind of like Christmas tree lights - One goes out and they all go out!
  • PorkfightPorkfight Posts: 180 Baller
    I hack at it
    These things are adjustable?!
    Ed_ObermeierWish
  • DanEDanE Posts: 819 Crazy Baller
    How about the option "when midseason slump kicks in I try every setting imaginable and always end up whete I started"?
    Than_BoganWishSkiJayChris Rossi
  • gmutgmut Posts: 198 Baller
    @klindy lost the cup but still track water temp. water temp here is 60F forcast low of 37F tonight......why do I still live here? need to take a road trip to lil mountain!!!!
  • MAD11MAD11 Posts: 577 Crazy Baller
    No idea what I am doing
    No idea what I'm doing but I'm still better at it that @horton by a long shot. @garywilkinson that list from Schnitz is actually cheap when you calculate all the gas and time you spend trying to learn this stuff. Believe me, it would come in handy for ya.
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,083 Mega Baller
    I get it done
    @gmut‌ come on down! Tournament is in a couple weeks. I'll let you adjust my ski.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President