Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Witney on a reflex

DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 727 Crazy Baller
did anyone else notice Whitney is on a reflex

Comments

• MattPMattP Posts: 5,973 Mega Baller
    edited May 2014
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,555 Mega Baller
    I noticed that also.
    Mark Shaffer
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    Her rear is an older strada with thr toe box cut off and an rs1 liner.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,694 Mega Baller
    edited May 2014
    On her trick as well?
    @BraceMaker I watched the tricks and it looked like a Reflex but it was tough to get a good look at the binding.
    Mark Shaffer
  • rq0013rq0013 Posts: 543 Baller
    Yes front reflex. She tried a bunch of rear bindings but came back to the vapor. Vapor wouldnt fit with the reflex release so they cut the toe off to make it fit.
    Rob Quetschke
  • schaferschafer Posts: 292 Baller
    Jason also has been using a reflex to start this season. I've actually noticed a lot of pros with a reflex. Any ballers made the switch? I'd love to demo one in Alberta.
    Quest for the Purple Loop
    JohnNjmvana1
  • skier2788skier2788 Posts: 676 Crazy Baller
    @Schafer on a reflex with the R style rear. Came off of strada. Love my Reflex wouldn't go back. If you are like some and absolutely love the strada's try the obrien legion bindings. Tried a set on this weekend and I think they are nicer than a strada. Basically the same design as a strada just better built.
    Travis Torley
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 489 Solid Baller
    The Reflex is great, what staggers me is the R-style hasn't taken off more with high level skiers. Your foot doesn't move and fantastic safety, it's perfect!!
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    @rockdog There are still quite a few pro's that drag a leg when they get up. Obviously not all of the RTP guys drag a leg but that certainly cuts down on the number that would be willing to switch to the R-style.
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 489 Solid Baller
    Right you are @Waternut, never dragged a leg myself.
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,208 Mega Baller
    There's a possibility Whitney may be on the Reflex while her ankle rehabs.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,973 Mega Baller
    edited May 2014
    @SkiJay‌ either way. She trusts it to use it in tournaments. The shell is awesome but the OB4 is way better!
  • countymountiecountymountie Posts: 119 Baller
    I was going to ask if it was feasible to put a Strada with a Reflex in front, I guess this post answers that. I tried going back to a RTP last week, got hurt, and thought about going back to doubles ( Reflex w/Strada). I did some quick measurements between the binders and I found that I needed at least 2" spacing to allow the Reflex to release properly. Although , cutting off the toe of the boot looks like the route to go.
  • OKSkierOKSkier Posts: 118 Baller
    I just bought a Reflex front and a 2012 Strada rear. Came of EXO's. Starting to get used to the new setup. I have the rear boot as close as it goes to the release mechanism. Its definitley jammed up against it. Doesnt seem to effect the release characateristics. Thought about cutting the strada but not too sure about doing that. We ski in cold water so its nice to have a closed rear boot.
    @schafer I'm also in Canada. BC. Good luck finding one in Canada to look at.
    I evenutally bought at Miami Ski Nautique-they are great. Also, Steve at Pacific Slalom is great.
    bkreis
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,739 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    When Will was on Goode he played with a rear powershell that had the cuff removed. Basically the same thing as an R style. I don't think he stayed with it long and just went back to the toe loop.

When I went from Strada to Reflex I though about cutting the toe out of the Strada rear to get it closer. Seemed like a sloppy fix so I just went R style.

I know a number of skiers who have tried the R style and gone back. It is different, but if you decide you are going to use it and stick it out it will become the norm. I think the double powershell and/or Wiley rear guys are used to being so locked in that any motion of the rear heel feels wrong. I was going from Stradas where the rear heel could lift, so the R style felt pretty normal on back.
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,534 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    @countymountie‌ I cut the toe off one of my Radar boots. Screwed up the fit for me. My foot slid forward and didn't feel right. Perhaps if there is something to block the toe from sliding forward (like the front binding) it could work but I ruined my boot by cutting off the toe.

I have been slowly moving back to the RTP from double boots. First, I traded the cuff clips on my hardshell rear for a rubber band. Then I removed the cuff completely. Recently, I've lost the rubber band (yeah I actually lost it but my couple rides without it have felt OK). I'm seriously thinking about the RTP with a heel strap - I did this for Lisa and she really likes it. The heel strap allays my fears of a radically premature rear foot release. In any case, from both a safety and performance perspective, I think I like my rear foot not locked in.

Eric
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,869
    I cut the toe off of my stradas when I had them so I could get them closer and it felt fine.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• Pat MPat M Posts: 571 Crazy Baller
    Switched from double Goode powershells to Reflex front and R style rear. Took me a set to get use to it. I feel its safer and there is no performance difference. The only weird thing is when I first put it on on the platform, but once I'm up skiing no problem.
    @eleeski‌ thanks for the info. Trying to switch back to a RTP on my first set of the season ended in disaster, hopefully I can heal up quick and get back on the water.
    Ok, I tried a set with the RTP and it ended in disaster. The worst I've skied in years. I don't think giving it more time is going to work . Just waste gas. Too much freedom of the back foot, too much distance between the Reflex and the RTP , coming from double Stradas that were jamed right next to each other.

I have an old RS1 that I'm going to cut up and see how it works.
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,869
    You can get your toes closer with the rtp. My big toe touches the rear of my front reflex shell when I have it jammed into the rtp.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

ScarletArrow
    I am with @ShaneH on this there is no reason you can't have your feet closer with a Reflex and RTP than double Stradas. All of the material in the toe of the Stradas prevents you from getting your feet as close.
    Mark Shaffer
    @ShaneH‌ ok, I can push my back foot up more like @Chef23‌ said, I'm just not sure I can get over the "looseness" if that makes any sense. Maybe I've been on doubles too long. It just feels so foreign now.

IDK??