Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

fin or binder adjustment help

dislanddisland Posts: 1,325 Mega Baller
This video is first set on 67" Quest, 35 off 36mph. I got the wakeye app working well. There seems to be a slight tip rise on both sides. Is this a problem? Any of you all have advice on fin or binder adjustments that may be required?

Dave Island- Princeton Lakes

Comments

• GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    Looks 2 MPH too fast to me............

how small of a binding adjustment are you able to make? Velrco? Screw in? Micro Adjust?
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,325 Mega Baller
    Wiley, screw in. Havnet tried micro adjust
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    Are you measured and set at stock on the ski from D3 specs?
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for including video @disland‌. It makes a BIG difference. It looks to me like you are finding it too easy to engage too much tip, which is not unusual for a good skier on a factory setup. You have so much tip in the water around the ball, especially on your off-side, that you have to release it quickly at the finish of the turn before it over turns. That release is the tip rise you're seeing. If that was my video, I'd be back a little with the bindings and reduce my FL by at least .015" and increase FD by .005". That would be 6.910 (tips), 2.515, .745, and ≈29.7" on the front binding. A follow up video would be helpful for fine tuning.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    MattP
    @goodskier yes it was at factory, @skijay great advice will try and report back, with more video Thanks
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,136 Administrator
    I am not worried about the tip rise at all. I do not like the hitch at the apex of 1/3/5. From that one pass I might move the bindings back 1/8(ish)

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,771 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Agree with Horton. Try bindings first
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,136 Administrator
    edited May 2014
    But not a full 3/8" standard hole. If that is not enough I might take out .005 depth. OR go .005 forward. I would do these one at a time.

That is my method. Not saying it is better than @SkiJay‌'s more aggressive approach....

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• skiepskiep Posts: 319 Solid Baller
    That's six- cut the rope!!
    @skiep of course :-) hopefully will be posting 38's next
    @horton I guess I need a micro adjust. More toys for Dad
    Horton
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,321 Mega Baller
    @disland I'd say leave it alone. That ski has made you look 25 years younger! :)
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
    SkiJay
  • sfriissfriis Posts: 79 Baller
    Hi, exactely the problem I have with my quest - a lot of tip rise - tried to move the bindings back one hole (reflex bindings) yesterday (at first only front binding = still the same) (2.nd both bindings = a smaller improvement) - (how do you micro adjust)?
    And how do you measure reflex binding placement? (the boot is curved)?
    Great Forum :)
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,049 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @horton could you please just remind me what .005 less depth will do for the ski, would I be right in saying easier to turn, maybe a little more speed ?

When The Going Gets Tough, Get Stoked !

• MattPMattP Posts: 6,013 Mega Baller
    @sfriis‌ check out product called Mikro-Just It will help you with smaller binding movements.

Measure the Reflex binding placement to the heal under the release block.
  • sfriissfriis Posts: 79 Baller
    edited September 2014
    @Mattp Thanks, I can see I need to drill the holes "open" to one long hole - next problem is that the screw that goes into the ski is exactely lined with the screws in the Blocks - hence no room for the screws ..... hmmm not easy ...

• MattPMattP Posts: 6,013 Mega Baller
    @sfriis‌ you will need to make a modification to your plate. Watch the videos on the website and it will explain the process.
    dvskier
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    @Stevie Boy‌ A shallower fin will let the ski roll more quickly and up onto a steeper edge. It will also allow the tail to smear a little easier which is good if the tail feels a bit stuck at the finish of the turn, but it can cost you a little bit of acceleration. It will also feel slightly more nimble or less secure. .005" is a small enough move that nothing serious will happen.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent