Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over sized inserts?

gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 749 Crazy Baller
Just meet a guy that had some inserts getting loose.
They put them back using epoxy resin.
However, they kept on getting loose.

Is there any 'over sized' inserts similar to Helicoil available?
Life is too short not to enjoy every day!

Comments

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,777 Mega Baller
    In this situation I would first use a tool like dremel to open up the hole around the insert (under the top deck of the ski) - then I would chop up scrap fiberglass mix with epoxy and pack the hole, I would then redrill and install the insert in this new "meat"
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,872 Infinite Pandas
    @gsm_peter‌ It's actually harder to find "normal" sized inserts than oversized ones. Lots of hardware stores carry only oversize inserts. Normal sized ones are special order online or from the ski manufacturer. Ace hardware in the US usually has an assortment of oversize brass threaded inserts. I've made lots of repairs with them.

I use a variation of @BraceMaker‌ 's technique. I dremel out just the old resin from the core trying to leave the skin intact. I mix the glass fibers and epoxy but screw the insert in when it is still wet. Obviously, use a screw (and jam nut) to fill the insert so it doesn't fill with epoxy. A bit of wax on the screw makes removal easy - hold the jam nut securely when backing the screw out. Make sure you don't get wax on the outside of the insert. Use anti seize when you mount the bindings.

My helicoil repairs haven't lasted very long. The redone or oversize inserts last as long as anti seize is consistently used on good screws.

Eric
    skialex
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 593 Water Ski Industry Professional
    I use @eleeski‌ 's method to install the extra inserts needed for my OB4 System binding plate.
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,872 Infinite Pandas
    @mmosley899‌ When installing new inserts, I just drill, tap and epoxy in the inserts. I use furniture inserts and found a furniture screw the same size that works as a perfect tap. The screw/jam nut is easy to drive and plain JB Weld holds them in place well. I like to use a bit of heat with the heat gun to get the epoxy to wick everywhere.

My skis have thin skins and the inserts get cycled a lot (every release, the screws get redone). My water is harsh and I occasionally ski salt water (no rinsing - we're in a severe drought). I'm as hard on inserts as anyone. But most of my repairs are on the college kid's skis. The Dremel and fiberglass process saves severely abused skis. It is lots more work, heavier and doesn't last as long as a first time installation (stress concentration issues or just harder to get good bonds?). Great for damaged inserts but for new installation, the simpler the better.

Anti seize when done!

Eric

ps, Just wondering if your OB4 system could be mounted directly to the ski? Lose the plate weight.