Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Potential Midwest Tournament Site

Check out Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, MO on GoogleEarth. They have an awesome drag boat lake that might be good for a pro level (or any level, for that matter) ski tournament in the midwest. The site is a little remote but has awesome facilities. It's about 2 hours from Kansas City or 1 hour from Springfield, MO. I have no real idea where/who to start with on suggesting this idea to someone so I thought I'd throw it out to the Ballers for input. I do have some connections in dirt racing (the main use of this facility) in this area that could get me to the right people with Lucas, but wouldn't know where to start on the waterski side to determine if a tournament would ever fly at this location. Ideas and thoughts appreciated.
Grant Miller--Table Rock Lake, Missouri

Comments

• EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    Looks like dimensions are adequate, as in 3450' long by 390' wide. One question is whether
    there is backwash, such as concrete walls. The Firebird Lake site was a similar dragboat
    lake. The Tour went there. Concrete walls, but sloping somewhat. Still, I recall 38 off
    being run at the time.

Hmmm...3450 x 390: Ski Flying event revived?

There was a waterski demonstration event one year on the lake inside the Daytona Speedway.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,264 Mega Baller
    Prevailing wind and tree protection?
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,589 Mega Baller
    Looks like it has bleachers as well. Use google images, it has rock lined shores. Shoreline could be a little flatter but not too bad.
  • WishWish Posts: 8,109 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Plenty of boat ramps....LIKE 6 !!!!!
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • KcSwerverKcSwerver Posts: 389 Baller
    edited June 2014
    We have a house on pomme de Terre (about 45 minutes away from Lucas oil) and have looked at this with that exact idea in mind.

Shores are not sloped well. That's about all I could tell you.
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,345 Crazy Baller
    The former Kansas INT coordinator tried a couple of times to get a joint Kansas/Missouri event in there, the owners weren't too receptive. I think it wasn't going to be a big enough event bringing in enough $$$. A BIG event like Nationals might be of more interest to them but it's only one lake.
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com