Loading the rope late.

mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 496 Crazy Baller
I will post video soon but I thought I would get the discussion started.
I've been told that I do a lot of things right but my biggest problem is I load the rope very hard right out of the buoy.
I try so hard not to do it but I can't apply it.
Are there any tricks that I can do to make me delay that load on the boat
Thanks
Matt

Comments

• WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    I'm guessing you're skiing 15 off still? Video will help those smarter than me. This is purely a guess based on what I've seen and have done myself.... Most of the people I see load the line too early do it because they never generated any angle nor did they have a very good body position through the wakes so they end up late and have to pull all the way to the ball. Once you're that late, you feel compelled to make a fast edge change, hard turn, and hook up early to stay in the game which only compounds the problem.

Good stack/body position is likely the big culprit here and once you can figure that out, you'll have more space to change edges and swing the ski out out around the buoy. Then you'll be carrying more speed out of the turn and it'll be more of a sweeping turn vs a hook turn.
  • mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 496 Crazy Baller
    I'm running 34 mph 15 off. Trying 22 off.
    I'm usually early into 1 (LFF).
    Then I load out of 1 ball (onside) so hard that I get stood up at wakes and pulled straight to 2. Game over at that point.

• skiepskiep Posts: 295 Solid Baller
    I will add to Than_Bogan leaning way back on the ski going into the buoy will make you tail turn (very quick turn) looks great but.... Try -off the second wake work yourself up over the ski (sweet spot) this will help finish inside the buoy line. Keith Albritton
    Than_Bogan
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,359 Mega Baller
    edited June 2014
    @skiep Yep, tail turn is another "good" way to lose nearly all your speed. (Funny that I forgot that one because I was just working with a girl on my home lake who does that on her off-side. And the rest of her form is so damn good, but she has a huge instinct to stand on her back foot into that off-side and it's really holding her back!)

Stand tall and for some people you have to consciously step on the front foot (by moving HIPS forward NOT head), especially into the off-side.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 909 Mega Baller
    @Than_Bogan‌ you've literally described my skiing right there, exactly! I do every single one of those things.
    Not the best video but only one I have right now. This was at Matt Rini's lake. 32 mph
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,359 Mega Baller
    @mbabiash I've seen WAY worse early loading than THAT! You've got a lot of good fundamentals, actually.

I'd say hips back in the preturn is the main one from my list. To your credit, you're actually fixing it pretty promptly once you start to leverage. But if you are taller with hips forward and shoulders back on your way into the buoy, everything will flow more smoothly.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Thanks @Than_Bogan‌
    I'll work on it and post video with gate pullout and at 34mph.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,040 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    ...and your hips stay back in your lean...read about getting stacked in multiple BOS threads. Butt hanging back means pulling and plowing rather than generating speed with less load which then can be maintained for longer to wider.
    Don't, however, allow yourself to put your hips forward which throws you toward the rear of the ski and tail ride...it's more get your body aligned and lean with straight arms in a leveraged position. Keep workin' and you'll get it!
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,898 Mega Baller
    I think your issues are more on your offside rather than your onside. As @6balls talks about you need to work on body position on the offside pull. Until you get your body aligned properly on the offside you will struggle with running 34 mph and beyond.
    Mark Shaffer
    Than_Bogan
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,323 Crazy Baller
    @mbabiash, you asked for a trick. All the above comments are good, but here' said tool. As you turn the buoy, look across the bow of the boat and locate the next buoy. Don't initiate the pull until you see it. Might work you. It does for some people. Easy to try. Let me know if it helps.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    @Than_Bogan‌ awesome summation of potential issues. I had never paid attention to the preturn until this spring when Dan Odvarko told me to "stand taller" in the preturn after which I found immediate improvement. So for me that piece of advice is a gem. Now if I could stay on the damn handle a little longer.
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
    @crashman try to pin your outbound elbow to your vest off the second wake. That is a thought that helped me stay on the handle longer. If I am going to one ball I think about keeping my right elbow pinned to my vest.
    Mark Shaffer
    crashman
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,056 Mega Baller
    ...and pull your offhand shoulder back to keep your chest pointed outbound before the turn. I see a lot of bad mojo from skiers who close their chest to the turn too early, loads the tip, causes a stall and the ski gets stuck in a hole..
    crashman
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,278 Mega Baller
    @crashman - bingo. I've been skiing in the course for, oh, 40 years and I've always had a lot of ski in the water, so thought I was plenty forward on the ski with a tip-down attitude (the ski's, not mine). No one (that I recall) has ever coached me to get more forward, get taller, longer, etc., coming into the turn until recently. I recently began working on this and what a huge difference it has made. Not showing up in my scores, yet, but it will. I would recommend to everyone to get tall, get long and stay up there until you're back on the handle and then after that, too. Think Chris Parrish.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,211 Administrator
    @ab more counter (hands further apart at apex) means the skier has further to come back. For many skiers this means a big upper body rotation - bad

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Nautiqueskier123rico
  • skinutskinut Posts: 408 Baller
    @jimbrake‌ watch Terry Winter, he visibly moves up on his ski coming into the ball. When he coached me he told me to move my com up over my front foot coming into the buoy. It made a huge difference on my offside turn and helped me finish the turn with my hips under me.
    A_BHortonGaryWilkinson
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,056 Mega Baller
    edited June 2014
    @Horton‌ - I have seen a slight pull back in the off hand shoulder help a lot of skiers. Just last weekend helped a M6 guy who was struggling to run 32 off, who has run 35 in his younger days. The ski held outbound direction and speed better and carried through the turn, when he was stalling and loading OTF without it. I think he was staying closed and trying to "manage" the turns instead of letting it flow. He ran a couple nice passes at 32 off and said "wow, did that make a difference". He has to learn his muscle memory now as he fell back into closed when rushed. I usually don't ski with this guy. To me, it's worth a shot to see if it helps.

Upper body rotation is bad, but if the ski and hips are coming around, the upper body shouldn't be getting involved, other than remain strong and ready to hookup.

The old stop and go method just doesn't work well with ZO.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,211 Administrator
    @ab I am pretty sure we agree.I feel compelled to encourage moderation anytime people talk about counter rotation.I think so many skiers take important concepts and overdo it

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

ToddLThan_BoganA_B
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 732 Crazy Baller
    Being a slow 15 off-er I can't add much but during last coaching session I managed to make at least one really successful turn into off side.

Simply by release handle and point it down in the boie line and not towards the pylon as I use to do.
    I got:
    -Tight rope
    -Speed through the turn
    -No stress change body position
    -And best of all. Perfect position to start the pull.
    Just flew over the wakes with low effort.
    Made a great 3 type 6 feet outside the boie.

The only problem is to repete it. :0(
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
    A_B
    @Chef23 @Than_Bogan‌ combination of your advice was money tonight! Especially keeping that leading elbow pinned on my offside- I had a pass where I lost track of which side was on vs offside instead of my usual " hammer the onside to survive the offside" Very excited! Thanks guys.
    Than_Bogan
    @crashman glad my advice helped.
    Mark Shaffer
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 6,028
    One trick we've used on a buddy is to have him touch his back pocket. It does two things..... helps him to keep his chest up, and keeps him from reaching back to the handle too quickly and overpressuring the ski(especially on his offside). He went from never having gotten past 4 ball at 34/15 to taking down 34/15 every set.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

Than_Bogan
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,323 Crazy Baller
    @OB, yeah, I neglected to mention wait until it disappears.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    Nautiqueskier123
  • Nautiqueskier123Nautiqueskier123 Posts: 18 Baller
    edited July 2014
    @mbabiash, being left foot forward on bouy 1,3,5. Lift your left shoulder up a bit and slowly drop it down as you progress threw the wake, this will help you to load up the boat at the correct time. on 2,4,6 do the opposite. Also remember to be patient out of the buoy and just lock into position and don't think about cutting, it will slingshot you threw the wake getting you out wide for the next bouy, but will also load up the boat at the correct time.
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,632 Mega Baller
    edited July 2014
    If you want to enhance the learning curve slow the boat down a bit, forget about 15 off and spend your water time learning how to run 22 off, it is actually easier then 15.
    Many skiers over pull myself included. backing off off the ball and waiting is a tough one to break. Boat settings can help if they are available also maybe your ski may not be set up correctly for you. free skiing can help as well, you can concentrate on the technique process and not the course. try and get some on the water coaching.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

@Jody_Seal‌ funny you should mention that because I did that unintentionally last night- forgot that I had shortened the rope for the kids kneeboarding rides. It took me a few passes to have success at what is usually my warm up speed. I thought i skied like crap until i got in the boat and noticed the15 off section sitting in front of the pylon. It definitely got me to focus. I might get totally crazy and slow it down a little more and try -28.
    Ive been working on countering and standing tall into the pre turn. Here is a video at 34 mph 15 off. I feel like coming into my offside, I'm countering better but my onside is getting worse and i keep getting broken at the waist.
    More Help please!

@OB What do you mean mean by no back foot?
    I'll work on the gate. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file