Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone had their kid learn slalom on one of these?

BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 685 Crazy Baller
I have a young one (5) that wants to try one ski. I can't hold the kid back, but I think the larger kid combos with the rear strap might be too big to control. I am thinking of putting a rear strap on one of these little kid combos (see pics). Has anyone ever tried this? More importantly, has anyone been successful with a young kid on one of these smaller skis?
SkiJay

Comments

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,430 Mega Baller
    edited July 2014
    We have some short kids combos with only a front bar on them and they have worked decently with little kids. If you crank down the screws hard enough it makes it awful hard to rotate the skis even without anything in the rear. Never tried it with anyone as young as 5, but the couple kids I've taught I usually cheat and either go up behind them on a set of combos and drop or sit in the water with them and "toss" them out of the water to get started.

Edit - clearly I didn't understand what you were asking ;)
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    There's a guy at our lake who did exactly what you've described- told me the kids pop right up on it. One thing I've learned with my son is not to hold him back until I think he's ready- if the kid is eager to try then he/she might really surprise you.
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
    SkiJay
  • GregHindGregHind Posts: 333 Solid Baller
    My son learned to slalom on one of those skis. He just sits his foot on the back as there is no strap. He wasn't waiting for me to get one! He can't do deep starts long line yet but drops a ski. My 64 year old dad taught him one day while I was away :-) guess that explains the old school start method.
    fu_man
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,177 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I put a toe loop on a pair of HO trainers when my son was very young...worked fine.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,862 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Daughter learned to ski the course on one. With the somewhat parabolic shape, they actually turn well.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • InthedayIntheday Posts: 141 Baller
    The larger kids ones with the rear strap worked for our six year old this year. When he was five he tried it on the boom and got up and nearly got up behind the boat as well but winter got in the way. They are really only going to go straight for the first few times anyway.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,964 Mega Baller
    I put a piece of non skid on the back of the ski and the kids started with that b
    Mark Shaffer
  • skibummskibumm Posts: 106 Baller
    All three of my daughters have learned to slalom on those ages 5. I put a rear toe piece on one and a larger fin as well.
  • pudgyskierpudgyskier Posts: 22 Baller
    I put a rear toe on 'em. Both my kids did not have any issues. My daughter learned by trial and error, kinda got up 45 degrees sideways like wake boarding, odd but it worked. For my son I had him between my legs, me on trick skis, and he would sit on my knees, I held on to the rope with my index and middle fingers, as soon as he was up I would let go and swim to the dock. We did that about 10 days, then he got it on his own.
    Along the subject of learning,12 years ago I weighted the tails of the same skis with lead, melted it into a pan, a little larger than a deck of cards and screwed it onto the tails of the skis. Helps them float tail down for easier learning. Used them last Saturday to teach a kid. Fun, fun, fun.
    Pudgy Baller
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 685 Crazy Baller
    Glad to hear that these work so well for learning one. I will definitely be giving it a shot.
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    It sounds like you have a pretty cool little man there @BlueSki‌! And a golden opportunity to become ski buddies for life. Awesome!
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,964 Mega Baller
    My son learned to slalom at 6 on a combo but it was a little bigger. He never dropped I just taught him to get up on 1. Make sure to get an easy up handle. For the little kids it is a big help at first.

My son learned to get up with just one foot in so he didn't need a rtp at first. I just put some non skid on the back of one of the skis then when he got up he could just put his foot down and not worry about sliding his foot in anywhere. As he got more comfortable we moved him to a ski with a rtp.
    Mark Shaffer