Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bindings - a different choice for my daughter

ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 801 Crazy Baller
edited July 2014 in Skis Fins Bindings
So my daughter is progressing very well - just qualified for Regionals yesterday. Right now she's running a first generation Radar "Source" binding w/ a RTP which works well enough, but she's going to outgrow it's performance pretty soon if she hasn't already. I would like to get her a new binding heading into next year, but I'm not sure which direction to go. I know there is a 101 threads on "which binding is best", but it's just... different... when I'm thinking about injury prevention and performance for my daughter. I watched my ski buddy's son break his ankle and I want to avoid that if at all possible. I know nothing is 100% safe. I've narrowed it down to a number of choices - and I can think of pro's and con's to each, but I would like to know what you think.
Anthony Warren

Bindings - a different choice for my daughter 18 votes

Just go with the next model up - Radar Rail (this is what my wife uses)
5%
wtrskior 1 vote
Go with a classic rubber - D3 Leverage (this is what my son and most of the other kids in our area use)
5%
scotchipman 1 vote
Go with a hybrid - Radar Stradas (this is what I formerly used)
16%
IlivetoskiSkiJayMike Gile 3 votes
Go with a hardshell - Reflex (this is what currently use)
33%
Chef23CamDeanoskiralDavidPdoonez 6 votes
Go with something else...
38%
ScarletArrowMattPchris_loganE_TSkoot1123Its_Funpgmoore 7 votes

Comments

• IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,185 Crazy Baller
    Go with a hybrid - Radar Stradas (this is what I formerly used)
    Stradas release and you can get them at a good price. I will never ski on rubber bindings, and refelx is a bit overpriced for a young girl who will outgrow it in a year. Stradas are the most comfortable too which will go a long way.
  • pgmoorepgmoore Posts: 201 Solid Baller
    Appropriate boots of your choice on OB4. After a lot of research and discussion, as soon as my broken ankle is healed, that's what I'm going to do.

I know that @mmosley899‌, the owner/designer of OB4, has a ton of experience working with kids. Send him an email or give him a call. Based on my interactions with him so far, his customer service is outstanding.
    Patrick Moore
    Than_BoganMattPE_Tchris_logan
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,962 Mega Baller
    Go with a hardshell - Reflex (this is what currently use)
    I put my son in a Reflex when he was about 10 and never regretted it. You usually get a couple of years out of a shell/liner and you can use the same boot on a trick f your daughter tricks also.
    Mark Shaffer
  • bbruzzesebbruzzese Posts: 120 Baller
    Ditto on the Reflex. Just put my 10 yr old in one from a Radar. He's loving it...upped his PB on 2nd set as well
  • Chuck_DickeyChuck_Dickey Posts: 1,462 Crazy Baller
    Reflex, especially if she is a trick skier. Then she can have two releases and one boot.
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,005 Mega Baller
    I agree with @pgmoore‌ 'a comments
    pgmoore
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,770 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Depends on weight. If 80-90 lbs. Reflex will be fine. You can get different thickness liners as well. My son has a Strada liner in his trick to fill space. Next year, or the year after, we will switch to a regular Reflex liner.

Or just stay on rubber. Nate does quite well with it and this weekend's BD winner swears that rubber is better. I just like to be comfortable and hate working on rubber bindings.
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,823 Mega Baller
    Radar RS-1's if you can find them. Great boot. One thing you can be sure of - the young ones will adapt very well at whatever you give them.
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    Just go with the next model up - Radar Rail (this is what my wife uses)
    I think you want something comfortable and reliable first and foremost. You did not mention the level of skiing, but I suspect it is long line and slower speeds, in which case she needs an entry level binding. A heavy reflex boot is complete overkill for a young developing skier, and really so is a closed toe comp binding like the Strada/rs1. My 2cents
  • chris_loganchris_logan Posts: 355 Crazy Baller
    Find whatever she thinks most comfortable & supportive and mount it to an OB4 System.
    Always looking for a pull... Will you be my boatdriver?
  • Its_FunIts_Fun Posts: 4 Baller
    I agree with Chris Logan. I am still recovering from August 2012 fall in non-releaseable bindings. On OB4 now and love the confidence it has given me back.
    MattP
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,798 Mega Baller
    Are there smaller sizes of the OB4 plate? I would think on a really small binding might be a lot of plate extending past the boot in front.
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 599 Water Ski Industry Professional
    All the OB4 plates are the same size so that they are all interchangable. This does leave some plate extending past the smaller boots. Making a smaller boot plate would require additional inventory expense and an additional set of holes to change the position of the spring housing. If demand is there...
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 3,798 Mega Baller
    @mmosley899 - I'm w/ you there. Not just that but it gets you back into some of the problems w/ other binding systems, like having inappropriate pin gaps that can create prereleases/nonreleases.