Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"always keep on skiing, the judges might have missed the call"

HortonHorton Posts: 30,602 Administrator
edited August 2014 in Rules/Politics/Issues
In another thread a Baller wrote the following words "after 25 + years in this sport I've heard the refrain a thousand times-" always keep on skiing, the judges might have missed the call.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

"always keep on skiing, the judges might have missed the call" 10 votes

I totally agree. Get what you can. If the judges miss it that is not my fault.
50%
lagdawgChef23Bruce_Butterfieldusaski1LittleRipper 5 votes
It happens. Who cares.
10%
ScarletArrow 1 vote
People who think this way are the scum of the sport.
40%
HortonLeonLricoSkiJay 4 votes

Comments

• Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,210 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    @Horton, I am sorry but the term "scum of the earth"comes across a bit strong, certain people cannot help themselves, because they are so competitive, they miss the big picture, it's for others around them to let them know, it's not the right thing to do, if they continue to cheat or take advantage, then the term "scum of the earth" becomes appropriate.

Addicted To Carbon Fibre

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    I always tell people to keep skiing and let the judges make the call. It is completely the opposite of the way I treat golf where I would call a penalty on myself even if nobody else saw it.

I am not sure why I feel totally different about the two sports.
    Mark Shaffer
  • liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,333 Mega Baller
    At 38, 39 and 41 you can be smoking into a bouy and throw it out there to try to get the next one. Most of the time you know if you've made it....not all the time. I've seen it happen many times where photos will show the correct call, but at real speed...or in the dark?
    My advice is keep skiing, unless you're positive you've missed. Most likely , Judges have a better view.
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,905 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    @Horton, I have to take issue with the way the poll is worded. Many times the judges are in a better position to view the "correct" score than the skier, especially with the gates. Its the skiers job to ski and the judges job to judge, just like every other sport.

If the skier knows beyond any doubt that the judges made an incorrect call, that is a different animal and will be dependent on the situation. There is a big difference in a close gate call in a class C tournament on an easy pass and a Nationals placement call.
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
    ScarletArrow
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,602 Administrator
    @‌Stevie Boy
    I have zero tolerance for poor sportsmanship and cheating. Taking a score that you did not achieve is one of the most indefensible things you can do as a sportsman.

Not everyone is going to agree with me but that is how I feel about it.

On the other hand yes I should have phrased the question better.

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

E_T
  • ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 822 Crazy Baller
    edited August 2014
    It happens. Who cares.
    This is a good question.

1 - In what sport does an athlete NOT try and influence a judges decision?

2 - At the end of the day you have to live with the integrity of your score.

3 - My attitude is to just focus on your skiing and not get distracted by thinking about whether or not you made your gate or buoy.

Keep skiing. Judges can be wrong, you can be wrong. Some calls will go your way and others will not.

On my PB run last week I KNOW that I had 2 buoys (bailed on the handle at the 2nd wake). Several members on shore agreed with me. Judges gave me 1.5. I was ticked in the immediate moment after, but 10 minutes later - who cares? I just ran a PB. It's a Class C tournament.
    Anthony Warren
  • usaski1usaski1 Posts: 760 Mega Baller
    I think it depends on the size of the miss.. If its like pretty obvious, then yeah, just stop skiing.. but sometimes you don't know... In that case, you just keep going... and what if you know you didn't make it, but not sure if others knew you didn't make it? Keep going!! In the end, it's only about how you feel with yourself. I know it doesn't feel good to miss 6, get credit for it, and ski the next pass. My job is to ski. Judges count the balls.
    Mark Turner -- Water skiing changed my life forever.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,602 Administrator
    Ok I am going to close this and start over. Gimmie a few minutes.

This discussion has been closed.