Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video of Miller and Rogers. Is this more like the "Zapruder film" or the "Patterson–Gimlin film"?

HortonHorton Posts: 30,602 Administrator
I really do not want to post this but like a bandage you have to take off.... Lets get it over with or someone else will when they find it.

For the folks in Minnesota:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patterson–Gimlin_film
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapruder_film

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

Comments

• eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,977 Infinite Pandas
    I think I saw the flashy light from a MIB neuralizer - but only on Dave Miller's run!
    DragoGhibli
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,602 Administrator
    edited August 2014
    @eleeski‌ I sort of want to give you a panda but at this point I think you might be right.

By the way Eric, did you know what the "Patterson–Gimlin_film" was without looking it up?

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

Drago
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,748 Mega Baller
    Yes, multiple flashes during Miller's run at the 1:07 to 1:08 mark. Two flashes of the headlights as Miller heads into 3 ball. Rodgers got a flashes heading to 5 ball. Kinda looks like someone was hitting their key fob to lock doors on a car. Odd timing as both skiers would have looked in that direction coming out of 2 and 4 ball.
  • EricKelleyEricKelley Posts: 300 Crazy Baller
    As a senior judge, reride? Nahhh!
    Ghibli
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,306 Mega Baller
    The camera flashes seem to be from behind after the turn. The grassy knoll flashes seem pretty out of place.
    He obviously saw them. I not sure that I notice anything when I'm skiing.

Jeff didn't look particularly dialed in on either pass though. Not that it matters.
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,383 Mega Baller
    Wow. All I can say with certainty is that those two are amazing athletes showing us some amazing skiing.

As an opinion I would say that my eyes registered more flashing and distractions on Millers passes than Ridgers. Now that is just flashes caught by the camera abd others could exist.

Final piece is that I have a question about the brightness off flashing cameras vs the brightness of flash photography. I would think unless they had their brights on with some serious LED lights.

All together I would have a hard time granting a re ride if the debate is "were his distractions noticeably worse than Millers" if the question is was their a problem caused by something out of the skiers control ie duck in the course, significant roll back, flashing lights, lots of glare, etc then I'm sure that every skier from the elite 8 onward could have gotten a re ride.
  • WishWish Posts: 8,269 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited August 2014
    I think each post needs to start with...my opinion with this particular video is... So from this video I gotta agree with @Zman. Timing of the flashing car lights on the grassy knoll did seem timed for both. Anyone know if a car could sit over in that area? Waiting for someone to post a schematic timeline map of the crime. Pot stirred...
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    Jeff looked out of it at 2 IMO. No way he way running that pass. Camera flashes seemed more distracting.

Seems like there were series of unfortunate events, a borderline reride request, an unprecedented granting of the request and protesting at the event; which IMO was the most significant and damaging of all.

Mistakes happen in sports judging. Rule out cheating and Deal with it like semi pros..

Twins Joe Mauer Robbed Of A Fair Ball:
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,224
    My sources are talking in whispered voices about a conspiracy. It would seem that @horton and his three legged cat flew into Texas, dressed in gilly suits so they could sneak onto the property clandestinely, hid in the grass five feet apart, and ssimultaneously turned on and off two flashlights.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

E_TskidawgmarkchilcuttBulldog
  • E_TE_T Posts: 625 extraterrestrial trouble maker
    At the end of the day does any of this even matter? ANDY won and no one was going to beat him that night. 2 or 3rd or 4th are still losers to THE GOAT
    E.T. phone home!
    I like reese's pieces

"Leave nothing on the dock"~AM
    kstateskierAlvin_NeffSusanT
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 6,066 Mega Baller
    What I want to know is how did Miller hang on after 1 ball at 38 and make the rest of the pass look easy.
    Mark Shaffer
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    edited August 2014
    looked like someone was opening their car doors on Jeff's 39 out of 3 ball, as it was the hazard lights that flashed, twice coming out of 4 ball, not headlights.

@ShaneH‌ Clio the cat is in cat heaven.

• jcampjcamp Posts: 938 Mega Baller
    The same flashing lights that Jeff presumably got a reride for (1:33) flashed on Millers 3 ball (1:07). Crazy camera flashes for both guys throughout, but that's part of what makes watching this event in person so cool.

I agree with @zman, looks like someone hitting their key fob.
    TylerR
  • drewski32drewski32 Posts: 218 Baller
    looked to me like rodgers was already screwed out of 2 ball. The headlights didn't flash until he was out of 4 headed to 5. Yes, miller had camera flashes but I would think the headlights would be more intense. Either way, rodgers looked like he was out of the pass already
    Ghibli
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,306 Mega Baller
    I thought it was the hot chick in the bikini going into 3 ball....
    eleeskiHorton
    edited August 2014
    @skidawg‌ correction: traffic is not gone down. there are some things I will not joke about & yes @ShaneH‌ is a master of espionage

• webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
    It's not clear from that photo @ob. However, watching the video, it's pretty easy to see flashing headlights as Dave is going into 3 ball
  • GhibliGhibli Posts: 69 Baller
    Never? Thinking that might be a little romantic.....
  • David MillerDavid Miller Posts: 28 Baller
    Good Words Chad
  • SkihackSkihack Posts: 448 Baller
    edited August 2014
    Waterskiing is an awesome sport . :)
  • tbrenchleytbrenchley Posts: 120 Open or Level 9 Skier
    Ok let's be honest Jeff may or may not have run that pass without the distraction of somebody on the shoreline unlocking their car but he didn't run it and after watching the video there is no way I could argue that the re-ride was a correct call. That was a gift and a 2 ball bailout for Jeff. But he had every right to ask for a re-ride (according to the "written" rules) and the judges had every right to say yes if they felt it was an unfair disadvantage. It was most likely the wrong call but it was the call nonetheless and I'm not here to second guess or call out the judges because I have the advantage of watching it after the fact. They made the call they felt was right at the time. I'm glad that there was a protest and passionate skiers voicing their opinions but just like in a courtroom you object, the judge sustains or overrules the objection and you move on. The show MUST go on!!!

And just as a side note @kstateskier‌ asking for a re-ride and asking for a warmup pass are two completely different things. He did suck it up and he did ski but skiing 39, watching your opponent fall, skiing back to the dock without even attempting 41 because apparently that's an "unwritten" rule that is in force, having it out over the re-ride call and then waiting for Jeff to ski another 39 and then go and take a crack at 41 off cold? That is not the same thing. I just wish @David Miller‌ would have asked for a re-ride on his 41 off for a "distraction" of some kind to keep it really interesting haha
    jmvana1
  • kstateskierkstateskier Posts: 524 Solid Baller
    @tbrenchley‌ so unwritten "suck it up" rules only apply to rerides? Got it ;)

Like I said I think Miller deserved a warmup pass, but the "suck it up" and be a Big Dawg mentality says sometimes you catch unlucky breaks and blah blah blah. See the issue here?
    KStateSkier
    Bradley Beach - Lone Rock Ski Club, Missouri
    2004 Malibu Response LXI, 2014 D3 Helix 66"
    E_TBG1