Ski like Stein.......Interesting

JASJAS Posts: 246 Solid Baller

Comments

• JASJAS Posts: 246 Solid Baller
    Considering all of the improvements in equipment these guys are more similar than different. Actually I think K2 fours and Brody Miller was the game changer. (Note Stein' s open shoulders) different sports for sure, just interesting.
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 797 Crazy Baller
    Thought-provoking for sure @JAS. Reminds me of discussions around the height of 'West Coast Slalom'. Some principles taken to the extreme and looking contorted instead of what's naturally athletic. Lots of slalom concepts—albeit exaggerated—in the Stein photo.
    Also note how much Stein's photo looks like an offside turn (outer leg in front), and Ted's is more like an onside turn. Also—as equipment improves—note 'smear' vs 'carve'. Not sure there's a lesson in Stein's, but it's interesting.
  • JASJAS Posts: 246 Solid Baller
    @BRY Totally agree with comments about Lange boots and Head skis.
  • BRYBRY Posts: 582 Crazy Baller
    Stein is a skid, the static picture doesn't really show that. Those guys had a huge un-weight between turns, and the skis were forced around. No metal edges (introduced later by Bob Lange again), no flex balance, no sidecut. Brute force on un-groomed (grooming didnt exist) But they still hauled a$$, crazy fast for the equipment they were on.
    What Stein and Ted are doing to the ski is very different, but how they do it is similar. Same skeleton and muscle groups putting pressure to the ski through the bottom of the foot.
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,189
    edited August 2014
    We ski'd in Deer Valley this past winter and had lunch at Steins restaurant. Dude looked 400 years old and still had chicks all around him
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • BruceEmeryBruceEmery Posts: 44 Baller
    Granted Stein is exaggerating for the picture, but for those of us that raced in the 60,S and before, we used reverse shoulder ( counter rotation) to get close to the gates. They didn't move . Little did we know that we were also unlocking our upper body from our lower, so we were angulating. I also used this style on the water and it seemed to work. Been doing it for 50 years. Did it today. Feels good.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,143 Administrator
    Need to quietly encourage the Ballers to not go down this path. Theorize all you want but talk about it but talk to a pro coach before you focus on it on the water.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

skialex
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller

Back on vacation in Utah, I once skied at Deer Valley. High end and high end and $$ nearby to
    Park City. Immaculately groomed slopes. Anyway, I had finished a run, and was hanging around
    in the chairlift line. Here comes this guy cruising in. I thought: hmmm...sorta of looks like...
    Holy S**t it is him. Should have told him nice going in the GS at the 1952 Olympics, but I was
    too stunned to do anything but stare.

Next to a few people such as Franz Klammer, John Claude Killy, and Hannes Schneider,
    Stein is such an icon of skiing. We do have such people in water skiing, but we are a bit
    of a minor sport. However, I would certainly put the LaPoints up for consideration, along
    with some others from the Old Days, such as Warren Witherell. Unfortunately, many of
    the leaders and innovaters of the sport have now left us.
  • ralral Posts: 1,706 Mega Baller
    @BRY‌, Just curious on why stating that waterski is more like GS but posting a SL pic...
    Rodrigo Andai
    thager
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,431 Crazy Baller
    Watch the first 30 seconds or so. Kinda does look like my form on water.....
    @ral That is a GS pic!
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,396 Historical Baller
    Negative: Slalom w/Ted Ligety. Back in the old days, before flex poles, you would have been
    clobbered if you got that close to a gate, when some of the bamboo poles were about halfway
    like trees.
    As in when I caught a tip on one at Stowe and ended up with a broken leg. On April 13th, which
    pretty much ruined my water ski season.
    Yeah, slalom, hand guards give it away.
    Broke an arm once on bamboo, slalom was much rounder then.

So here's a GS one
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,377 Mega Baller
    I'd like to ski like Ted, but at my age I'll settle for trying to ski like AJ

Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • ralral Posts: 1,706 Mega Baller
    edited September 2014
    @BRY, not only handguards: shinguards, body position, arms position, single pole gate, straight ski poles... And actively hitting the pole with the outside hand...

No way to be in that position with R35 skis.
    Rodrigo Andai
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,462 Mega Baller
    @Horton‌ Insert panda, quick!
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 761 Mega Baller
    Pretty bummed that the season is almost over ... but these pictures are getting me amped for the "other" ski season!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file