Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad coil cause lower RPM?

Monkstr6100Monkstr6100 Posts: 108 Baller
I have a 2006 Gekko GTR that I have been chasing a slightly lower RPM, rich running, and a tiny power loss issue with. Have done EVERY test under the sun. Finally ohm tested my coil the other day and secondary resistance was only 5,700ohms, while spec is 9,400-11,700. Would this cause my issues? It does have a slight miss, and by slight I mean it sounds perfect to the average person, just someone like me notices. Don't wanna spend the money if it is not likely that bad. Also, I will lose more WOT RPM as the engine warms up, leading me to believe the coil is loosing even more resistance when hot and causing an even weaker spark. Thanks in advance guys.
THE FAMILY THAT PLAYS TOGETHER, STAYS TOGETHER! TEAM JACHOWICZ

Comments

• BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 4,420 Mega Baller
    IMO if the spec numbers are solid and you trust your multimeter - worth replacing.

Any fault codes?
  • boarditupboarditup Posts: 585 Crazy Baller
    That is the likely culprit and coils do "wear out." Heat is their enemy.

Fuel line can component alcohol absorbtion issues can be similar in symptoms, but I think you are right with the coil.
    Karl DeLooff - Powered by the wind
  • Monkstr6100Monkstr6100 Posts: 108 Baller
    No fault codes, cause I broke down and got diacom, and did the vacuum test on the fuel line already so it's not the hose collapsing. I will order up a coil then. Found them online for $125, that's not to bad. The manual doesn't lay out at all how to test the primary and secondary of the coil, but I figure it should be same as any other coil. This one does have 3 wires though? And my specs are right from the merc service manual.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,599 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    $125 seems high - typical delco marine coil?

$78 here
    http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R117005

Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    A_B
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,264 Mega Baller
    I assume you checked timing. If that has retarded, it would give you same symptoms.
    The coil is for the pcm555 so it's the coil/ignition module assembly. I checked timing through DIACOM, and at WOT it peaks at 28deg and stays there for full advance. Called merc and they would NOT tell me if that's normal or if it should advance more than 28deg. Was not impressed with them at all.
    A_B
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,599 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Ah, is that the Thunderbolt thing that attaches to the side of the distributor?
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    JJVDMZN