Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pumping Your Tranny

A_BA_B Posts: 4,117 Mega Baller
What pump is good for getting the oil out of your transmission?

Comments

• WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,846 Infinite Pandas
    The things you cold weather people talk about!
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 657 Crazy Baller
    @AB, check for an Adam's apple first and you can avoid the situation entirely.
    Hortonsavaiusini
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,339 Crazy Baller
    I use a plunger type pump I found, like you'd find on a gallon jug of hand cleaner, syrup etc. Not a very good description I know, hope that makes sense. Found some small diameter hose to add onto the pickup end to extend it enough to get down into the bottom of the tranny case and to add onto the discharge end to extend that. Pump it into an oil catch pan on the floor next to the motor to catch what gets sucked out.

Just finished winterizing my boat last week, changed the trans oil after it had been in there 3 seasons. The old I took out looked just like what I put back in (clear and clean in appearance), not real sure it even needed to be changed FWIW.
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
    Skoot1123
  • OKSkierOKSkier Posts: 122 Baller
    What tranny oil would any of you recommend?
    jmvana1
  • PorkfightPorkfight Posts: 180 Baller
    Kinky.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,616 Administrator
    I think @eleeski‌ uses Steel Reserve to lub his trannys.
    Looking for a healthy snack? Try SuperFat

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

RichardDoane
    Funny thing is the most obscene post here is from @efw‌

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

PorkfightBlueSkiwtrskiorskiray
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,551 Mega Baller
    edited October 2014
    This entire thread and the title of the "Who wants my stick" thread have really tested my resistance to the 8th grade side of me.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    A_BHorton
    it's only a matter of time before I get the message that somebody is offended : - )

• SpuddySpuddy Posts: 133 Baller
    I use a pump I got at West Marine http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--manual-oil-changer-2-85-quart--11097714

It's meant to drain the oil from 4 stroke outboards but it works great on my nautique tranny.
    A_BMJ1bogboy
  • WishWish Posts: 7,795 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited October 2014
    I'm offended that someone has not lowered the bar even more (so to speak) and made me laugh harder....does that count?
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,117 Mega Baller
  • matthewmatthew Posts: 48 Baller
    Pela oil extractor
    A_B
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,339 Crazy Baller
    What tranny oil would any of you recommend?

@OKSkier the sticker on my trans says Dextron III/Mercon so that is what I put in it (boat is a 2005). I'd guess that any of the newer fluids would be fine as well if not better, but I'm not willing to just assume that. So I go with what it says to go with.
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
    A_B
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,281 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    At first I thought this thread was about a bad trip to bourbon st
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
    LOL. I had a legit question....
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 657 Crazy Baller
    About 15 years ago a Lake Erie mechanic suggested to me that I should throw in an extra quart of transmission fluid over the winter to prevent condensation, much like having 3/4 of a tank of gas over the winter. It sounded reasonable enough, so in the spring, I pump out three quarts and replace with the two quarts that are required. @AB, to answer your legit question, I use the Topsider MVP, which is based on the old metal gas cans, which worked, and in this case does as well.
  • TallSkinnyGuyTallSkinnyGuy Posts: 540 Crazy Baller
    @eleeski Actually, changing the transmission fluid has nothing to do with cold weather or winterizing. It is a regular maintenance activity like changing the engine oil, but it doesn't have to be done as often.
    eleeski
    Bought and used Pella 6000 on the tranny. Worked like a champ. The problem is that I got 2.25 quarts out of it. I think its only supposed to hold 2 quarts. I am wondering if it was over filled by dealer or someone, as everything I have read indicates you will never get the full 2 quarts out. We bought the boat used.

I am thinking I should put a quart r quart and a half in, and then fire it up next Spring and warm it up and cycle though some gear changes, and then check and fill to max.

Any thoughts?
  • bogboybogboy Posts: 699 Solid Baller
    What spuddy said, but if you get the larger capacity west marine version, you can use it for you engine oil also.
  • TallSkinnyGuyTallSkinnyGuy Posts: 540 Crazy Baller
    @AB Yes, if your transmission is only supposed to hold 2 quarts (like mine) you should be able to get out only about 1.5 quarts because there is always some left in the cooler and hoses. I would do what you are thinking -- put in 1.5 quarts, warm up the engine for a few minutes, shift into forward and reverse to clear out any air pockets, shut the engine off and then check the level within 30 seconds after turning off the engine.

Also, you can get a general idea of the level with the engine cold -- the level cold should be a little higher than the "warm full" line. If you check it cold after adding 1.5 quarts and the level is well below the "warm full" line then your tranny probably takes more than 2 quarts. However, to get an accurate reading you should check it warm.
    A_B
    Sounds good. It was quite a bit over the full line before I started. It's been sitting in the garsge for weeks, so I wondered why it was so high. Thanks a for confirming.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,417 Mega Baller
    I use a Sealey oil extractor/inspection syringe for the trans/v-drive. Nice because you can measure what you are pulling out easily and replace it with the same amount. Only pulls 200ml at a time, but for a couple quarts worth it works fine.

Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    @AB I use a Pela oil extractor on my Correct craft, fantastic on lawn mowers too.

looks like this https://whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=126&item=67070&intAbsolutePage=1
    Pela oil extractor, i have tried to post this numerous times with no luck .

https://whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=126&item=67070&intAbsolutePage=1