Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stepped or Speed Skin Boat Hulls

ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,861 Mega Baller
Are ski boat builders looking into running surface designs that some ski companies are using on new skis?

Comments

• A_BA_B Posts: 4,117 Mega Baller

• TallSkinnyGuyTallSkinnyGuy Posts: 540 Crazy Baller
    My understanding is that ski boat builders try to increase wetted surface area to improve tracking. The stepped hulls help boats increase speed, but ski boats only need a certain amount of speed. I think the ski boat builders give up speed in exchange for stuck-to-the-water tracking, which is also why horsepower has been increasing in ski boats without WOT speeds increasing.
    A_B
  • WishWish Posts: 7,795 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Supra in 1984 did the first true steep reverse chines in a ski boat to help suck it down to the water. But, they also did a single step. The step was not to decrease drag but to go from a deep V hull upfront for rough water and tracking to a flat hull for flat wakes. The faster you dove a ts6m, the more it sucked itself to the water and tracked better. When you turned, the boat never really leaned to the inside but took a corner like it was on rails. Very sports car feel. Fun boat to drive.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,112 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @wish you're the boat guide guy...remember the year they had a tunnel hull outboard and it basically didn't have a wake but it didn't track, either?
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • WishWish Posts: 7,795 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @6ball‌ they?
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,112 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @wish was one of the boats in the waterski boat buyer's guide one year...I don't remember manufacturer. I'm thinking late 80's ish ish?? I was still in my parents home for sure and I graduated HS '91
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,165 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited October 2014
    It was the Hydrostream HST