Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much does the back of the boat move?

HortonHorton Posts: 30,432 Administrator
If you have ever laid down in the back of a slalom boat when someone is skiing you know it moves more than expected. Does anyone know how much it really moves?

I am assuming short line slalom, a good driver and the pylon not moving out of tolerance.

@jdarwin‌ @Jody_Seal‌ @Roger‌ @WhoEverElseWouldKnow

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

Comments

• SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    Interesting question but I have to ask, @Horton‌, why did you ever find yourself lying down in the back of a ski boat while someone was skiing in a course?
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    Brady
  • WishWish Posts: 8,241 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    must be a new spin on the "mile high club".
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    barefooter2baller
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,413 Mega Baller
    It moves a lot more than u think
    NWA....Heaven on earth!
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,337 Mega Baller
    end course video for record purposes is measured at the pylon which is the only important consideration.
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    A perfect driver, IMO, keeps the pylon centered but let's the back of the boat swing with the skier. That is when I get that feeling that the boat is just with me and the pass is easy.
    Jim Ross
    lpskierBrady
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,615 Mega Baller
    6"
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
  • DWDW Posts: 2,312 Mega Baller
    @JTH: Distance would= Sin(rudder angle) x Distance (Pylon to rudder). That is the difference in movement between pylon and back of boat, any side to side pylon movement is added to that.
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy Posts: 2,202 ★★★★Quad Panda Award Recipient ★★★★
    Driving the way @Razorskier describes, to the driver it feels like it is moving quite a bit, this could be deceiving, if you are really on it driving wise, or though it feels a lot, it probably is not, probably impossible to answer, from the drivers point of view.

Addicted To Carbon Fibre

I want to ski behind @Roger! Didn't he say he was looking for ski partners????
    Jim Ross
    Brady
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,592 Mega Baller
    If you make it down to Okeeheelee, I'd be happy to pull you. Not in search of ski partners at this time, but always happy to ski with another Baller :smile:
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    HortonMattP
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,592 Mega Baller
    edited November 2014
    BTW, this is the 39 pass I discussed above. I'll have to see if I still have the end course video since this was a while back.

Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    That is a really cool pass. Incredible speed and load management.
    Jim Ross
  • ColeGiacopuzziColeGiacopuzzi Posts: 474 Open or Level 9 Skier
    edited November 2014

Here is an end course video of 41 driven by will bush. The load is probably a lot more at this pass translating to the back of the boat moving more then say a 32off pass! But kind of cool to see how the tail of the boat moves side to side, but the pylon remains in the middle!
  • webbdawg99webbdawg99 Posts: 1,067 Mega Baller
    edited November 2014
    Who in the world is the "mastimf" character that posted all those nasty comments?!?!? (on the video that Colebrah posted above) I'd love to see HIS end course video! If he ever was a Baller, Horton probably banned him years ago!
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,250 Mega Baller
  • aussiemcaussiemc Posts: 136 Baller
    edited November 2014
    That end course driven by Will is near as good as it gets. If Nate had of run 4 bouys on the next pass, (43'off) would the record have been approved without "tape" on the windscreen of the boat?
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,715
    That was some nasty thread on youtube. Ouch.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' 2021 MC As soon as it lands Ski - KD Platinum

• ColeGiacopuzziColeGiacopuzzi Posts: 474 Open or Level 9 Skier
    Thanks @MattP‌ appreciate it!!!
  • schaferschafer Posts: 320 Solid Baller
    Little off topic. Does it not seem like Karina's pull out for the gates is kinda strange? Perhaps she has changed her approach some since then.
    Quest for the Purple Loop