Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flattest Wake In The Future

A_BA_B Posts: 4,302 Mega Baller

Comments

• SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    The last driver I skied behind could surgically remove all of the boat guides from the left side of the course with foils like that.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    Brady
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,302 Mega Baller
    edited November 2014
    That could be good or bad, depending if you are LFF or RFF. :)
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 974 Mega Baller
    Put a sharp edge on those blades and you have a cool weed harvester.
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,189 Mega Baller
    I always wondered what happened to recycled plastic...
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    mwetskierskiking1739
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,345 Crazy Baller
    If there is some realistically workable method to stabilize the vessel so a driver can hold a straight line through the course, something like this could be a real game changer IMO. Potentially smaller boat (thinking tournament/private sites here) with a 6 cylinder or even a 4-cylinder engine, possibly even electric at some point. Potentially lower cost for the tow rig, lower operating cost etc. Comment from you engineering types here?
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
    Brady
  • JWebSkiJWebSki Posts: 90 Baller
    With so much material under water I feel like this could easily be designed to have great tracking
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,432 Administrator
    @eleeski‌ is NOT going to like the trick wakes

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

6ballsandjulesrab
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,337 Mega Baller
    the next generation will put individual drive units under water at the bottoms of the back 2 struts eliminating the center drive column. so two thrust points and two props producing almost double the pull power. with the right electronics the result will be better tracking ability through differential power applied between the two units but at the cost of higher power consumption.
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,473 Mega Baller
    How about no wake at all. Just put a cable puller at each end of the lake.
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,859 Mega Baller
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    skiking1739
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,473 Mega Baller
    If they put the cable at ground level on a single spool it would be closer to boat pulled slalom not a completely different event like the current cable slalom event
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,900 Mega Baller
    Ow! My eyes!!

Man is cable slalom inelegant.

@disland That doesn't work either. The length of the rope from the attachment point is a critical element. A cable puller at the other end of the lake is a very-slowly-reducing-but-effectively-infinitely-long rope. The attachment point must travel the desired path (including near to water level!) to be similar to our sport.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    jipster43Drago
  • WishWish Posts: 8,241 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited November 2014
    This one might get the job done.....well, some wakeless free skiing anyway.
    .http://www.foiltwister.se/index.php/en/
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    JJVDMZN
  • alex38alex38 Posts: 516 Baller
    i like the wakes the way they are now
    jipster43drewski32Drago
  • A_BA_B Posts: 4,302 Mega Baller
    In my lifetime of 55 years, everything gets better over time as humans strive for perfection. The change in boats, skis, and speed control, along with powerplants has been great in the last 40 years, and I suspect it will continue. We probably can't imagine what a ski boat and ski will look like in another 40 years. Some alternative power source will likely be involved, and continued weight reduction along with precision speed control and tracking will be likely. I still liked the rumble of my '77 SN going down the river, but I would much rather slalom behind and drive any of the modern era ski boats. That was only 37 years ago.

I have thought about an underground rail system that has a moving arm sticking up out of the water as a pylon that runs down the centerline of the slalom course. You could put wedges on the arm to create a trick or wakeboard wake, or no wedges for slalom. It would need to be attended by someone at each end to shorten the rope and start the arm back in motion.

Oh well, it must be winter..
    Dacon62MISkier
  • Dacon62Dacon62 Posts: 816 Crazy Baller
    edited November 2014
    That under water rail thing you mention is something that has been rolling around in my head for years as well.
    Give it some time and some well off ski nut/engineer will make it happen.
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 809 Crazy Baller
    Have also thougt of underwater rails.
    Water is unfortunately very sticky so the wet area must be very tiny to save energy.

A rail system above water surface might work.
    Petfect for indoor skiing. See old thread.
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
    Another cable slalom video.
  • JordanJordan Posts: 1,251 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    wonder if they (could/should) use shorter skis because of the upward lift of the cable?
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,095 Baller
    The boats of today don't have much of a wake. I can see the boat companies making them softer and making the boats faster. Eliminating the wake completely is not necessary.
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot