Anyone use DropCam to watch the lake when they are not there?

HortonHorton Posts: 27,186 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Tagged:

Comments

• WishWish Posts: 7,721 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Holy Crap that is cool. Dang...vandalized/destroyed slalom course to the tune of hundreds and hundreds of dollars and countless hours to retrieving, repairing and reinstalling. I do not want to add up what lost ski time was worth but I am sure it is less then $200. Hmmmmm...
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • WayneWayne Posts: 452 Baller
    I bought one a couple years ago to use as a baby monitor, then was going to use it as a nanny cam. It's still in the box and I want to set it up so I can do exactly what you say @Horton‌. Stare at the lake and my boat while at work.

They are super easy to set up, I'm just lazy. Now where did I put that thing?
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,189
    Ummmmm, Dropcam shows there appears to be no boat at the BOS HQ at the moment?
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,186 Administrator
    @Texas6‌ it is December. The Sparkly Blue Centurion Carbon Pro is in the garage.

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• schaferschafer Posts: 301 Baller
    @Horton‌ my google machine tells me its 11 degrees Celcius with a 3 Km/h wind. for all us Albertans go for a christmas day swerve to burn off that turkey
    Quest for the Purple Loop
    jayskiandjules
  • GroovyGrantGroovyGrant Posts: 52 Baller
    That seems like exactly what I need to keep an eye on my boat in a marina slip. Wonder if it will work via the marina's public wifi?
    Grant Miller--Table Rock Lake, Missouri
  • CamCam Posts: 316 Solid Baller
    I have been using a Watchbot IP camera to watch our lake for a couple of years now, works really well especially as I live over 50 miles from the lake and can check water conditions before I travel.
    At quiet times I can set up an alarm that sends me email pictures of any movement.
    if anyone has been checking my dropcam and seeing nothing for a week there will actually be dogs and people and boats moving today. not saying it will be interesting but there will be movement

@scotchipman‌ yeah I do not pay for the cloud service.

scotchipman
  • WayneWayne Posts: 452 Baller
    @horton do you have the infrared turned on? The night picture has a dominant reflection from a glass window. I found mine and set it up tonight (aimed through our basement walkout sliding glass door). I checked your feed and saw the same thing on mine, a reflection of the camera is all I could see. So I shut off the night vision setting and that helped quite a bit. If you have lights on your dock you should still have a good night time view.
    @wayne thanks. I will play with that

• jbwannjbwann Posts: 45 Baller
    I'm not sure exactly how remote that camera location is, but, what is the best option for getting WiFi there?? Anyone know a cheap solution? Our lake has no homes on it...no internet.
  • bowtybowty Posts: 75 Baller
    @jbwann‌ It wouldn't be a live feed, but there are trail cameras set off by motion that will text a picture to your phone. That being said, you would run into the issue of getting a picture sent to you of every pass the boat makes if the camera is pointed at the lake.
  • dtm8119dtm8119 Posts: 165 Baller
    I just picked one of these up last week...pretty cool!

My view looks a bit different than yours these days @Horton‌

photo 1-10-20157-47-10AM_zpsba9dba0a.jpg
    Dan Cloutier
    HortonBulldog
    I sort of felt bad that I wasn't going skiing today until I clicked on the live link from the lake househttps://www.dropcam.com/p/2gH7jP

• drewski32drewski32 Posts: 217 Baller
    So now we have a link and everything for a spy cam on @Horton :wink:
  • mlangemlange Posts: 171 Baller
    Yeah. The IR being turned on when you have the camera behind a window makes it pretty useless at night, but it still is surprisingly good when there's a light on outside.

They now also make a bunch of outdoor enclosures. Haven't tried any of them out yet so I don't know if they fix the IR reflection issue.

http://dropcases.com/