Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AWSA Approved Boats Only or Others?

ToddLToddL Posts: 2,859 Mega Baller
edited December 2014 in Boat Talk
2015 Tow Boats article is up on the BOS home page (yes, I went there...) Anyway, the write up includes the following text:
"While successful completion of the towboat evaluations allows a manufacturer to pull tournaments, there also are several other advantages. Private-lake communities continue to be built all over the country. Most developments require any boat used on the lake to be on the AWSA-Approved towboat list. Many city and community-owned lakes also only allow AWSA-Approved towboats on their waterways. Public and private lake communities have the peace of mind knowing these boats have been put through the most rigorous testing in the industry. "

I was just curious - Does your site/lake allow non-AWSA Approved boats?
-- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.

AWSA Approved Boats Only or Others? 32 votes

Only Current Year AWSA-Approved Boats Allowed
0%
Only Current and Last Year AWSA-Approved Boats Allowed
0%
Only AWSA-Approved Boats, but any year
25%
Chuck_DickeyRichardDoaneForrestGumpjdarwinNick SullivanThe_MSBRYjerrym 8 votes
Mostly AWSA-Approved Boats, but a few others have been granted exception access
6%
ski6jonesMurrski 2 votes
Only Inboards, regardless of AWSA status
31%
MarcoskibugdislandkstateskierKelvinGarnToddLrodltg2sunperchchris_logan 10 votes
No Boat Restrictions, if it floats it's OK
37%
HortonthagerEd_ObermeieranimalLZywicki1Than_BoganJody_SealaussiemcSkoot1123JWebSkiRAWSkidvskier 12 votes

Comments

• lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,126 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I suspect that the "restrictions" are related to the USAWS insurance program. I am pretty sure that a boat that was certified when new, my 2007 CC 196 for example, satisfies the "certified" requirement for insurance purposes even after the boat falls off the list for permissible tournament use, even though the USAWS press release on the home page doesn't make that clear.

I can say that the boat test and the fact that boats are "certified" makes it quite a bit easier when dealing with those that think every boat sounds like it has a 3000 hp two stroke engine and make a tsunami sized wake. Objective measure trumps subjective hyperbole in every reasonable conversation. I really pushed this point when seeking permission for a tournament on motorboat-free public water last year.

I suspect that with a declining participation in promo programs due to boat costs, the AWSA may relax its tournament certification requirement. For tournament use a boat must be a current year model of an approved hull or the immediately preceding year model. In other words, maybe a class C tournament can be pulled just fine with a three year old boat, maybe even an eight year old ZO boat. ELRs, too, but maybe that is asking a lot. On the other hand, if the rule is relaxed too much, the boat companies may be less generous with their sponsorships.

Our lake has only one restriction: No PWCs. Having fun must be strictly regulated.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,211
    Just to clarify, ELR tournaments must be pulled with the current or previous model year boat. F and C tournaments already can be pulled with the current and up to 3 model years prior and can get an exception for model years older.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

Jody_Seal
  • dislanddisland Posts: 1,473 Mega Baller
    We put in a 22' max restriction when they started coming out with those cabin cruiser sized wakeboard boats
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,270 Mega Baller
    @disland, your 22' restriction would not prevent someone from using a Nautique G21. That's a scary thought on these small lakes.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • jerrymjerrym Posts: 88 Baller
    @shaneH - thank you. This is the first time I have heard that older boats can be used for Class C tournaments. Good to know...
  • rodltg2rodltg2 Posts: 1,051 Crazy Baller
    edited January 2015
    I dont know of any member at our site that has a boat newer than 2004. Other than the owner who just bought a promo 200, no one even has ZO. . One member did join with a new 200 , but I have never seen him out. If current AWSA cert. was the rule, we would have no members!
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 1,127 Mega Baller
    Mostly AWSA-Approved Boats, but a few others have been granted exception access
    I almost chose "No boat restrictions, if it floats it's OK". It's not quite that bad, but close.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • BRYBRY Posts: 585 Crazy Baller
    Okeeheelee also only allows boats from awsa list, any year, except for the jump lake.
    Somehow some owners, previous to me, got a wakeboard boat on our lake and did real damage. Lost some palm trees along the water and lost a bit of beach so it wants to shelf now. Sandy, unarmoured shore.
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,190 Crazy Baller
    "only current year AWSA approved boats" Good luck getting more than 4 members
  • BRYBRY Posts: 585 Crazy Baller
    Anybody have or personally seen a "only current year AWSA approved boats" or "only current and last year AWSA approved boats" site? Never seen or heard of one but could be somewhere. "Only awsa approved boats, but any year" is not unusual, have seen it quite a few locations. Not so much for insurance reasons but for shoreline preservation reasons.
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,859 Mega Baller
    edited January 2015
    So far, 2/3rds (66%) of respondents report that AWSA is not a requirement at their site.

That said, the text above "Most developments require..." is inaccurate. Even more inaccrurate, I assume, is the statement that "Many city and community-owned lakes" require AWSA boats.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • thagerthager Posts: 5,189 Mega Baller
    No Boat Restrictions, if it floats it's OK
    Public lake. You should see the crap that floats out there!!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • vtjcvtjc Posts: 281 Solid Baller
    edited January 2015
    In Vermont to ski in course without a spotter on public water a boat must be awsa approved and have large mirror.
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,430 Crazy Baller
    We have an only inboards and no wake enhancements rule on our lake. It's hard enough to keep the shoreline erosion under control without massive wakes.