Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Athleticism

thagerthager Posts: 4,681 Mega Baller
Just curious how many skiers out there were successful in other sports and to what level before getting into skiing.
Stir vigorously then leave!

Comments

• Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    edited January 2015
    Define successful? If you mean always dabbling in many yet excelling at none??? Wait, is beer drinking a sport?
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
    skidawgIlivetoski
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,204 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Decent athlete good at most things I played but not elite...ie) good high school but not collegiate level at anything. Not sure we're gonna call competitive bench press a sport perse, but I still have the state record and won Midwest Regionals which qualified me for World's in 2008. Can't call that successful "before getting into skiing", either...didn't compete until 2007 and not after winning in 2008...been skiing a long time.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • WishWish Posts: 7,892 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I sucked at them all as a youth accept snow skiing but never competed at that. I can play most sports but not at any high level..the word "hack" comes to mind for most. But I'm pretty sure success in waterskiing has improved most of the other rec sports in athleticism and reaction time.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    JohnCox
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,437 Mega Baller
    Depends, do I have to be very successful at waterskiing? Have always been a pretty decent at downhill ski racing, track, cross country and BMX racing as a kid. If golf is actually a sport then I was pretty good at that in high school - did it because my dad golfed, bores the heck out of me.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,290 Administrator
    I can hardly walk straight

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ McClintock's

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

BradyShakeski
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,681 Mega Baller
    Could be the Kilo Kai?
    oldjeepkstateskierMichaelGoodmanBrady
  • OTFOTF Posts: 327 Crazy Baller
    Not a superstar at anything, hold my own at most things. Pretty good with things that go bang!
    @thager I get better with whiskey...........I think
    6ballsthager
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,612 Mega Baller
    I was a fair ski racer, a good tennis player and was a very good skeet shooter. I showed horses with some success and was a member of two collegiate equestrian national championship teams. I played a mean game of ping pong and played golf in the 80's. When I graduated from college with majors in history and English and a minor in government, my father told me the only thing I was qualified to do was to belong to a country club. So I played rugby for three years while attending law school.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    MattPhacker
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,972 Mega Baller
    I consider myself a good athlete with above average hand-eye coordination. I lack the speed to be outstanding at any sport. I played soccer through high school and could have played D3 in college but went to a D1 school.

After college I played a lot of golf getting to the point where I was scratch and competitive on the state level. I never qualified for a US Am but was an alternate. I didn't play a ton of golf growing up so that is the one sport I look at and think I might have been able to be real good at.
    Mark Shaffer
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,095 Baller
    Water skiing was the only sport I could do. I would never have made any of the sports teams in high school or college. If I did I would have been a bench warmer.
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,523 Mega Baller
    edited January 2015
    It has been my pleasure to achieve mediocrity in many sports! Really enjoyed the process of learning them. One of my favorites was learning how to throw the 35-lbs weight (kinda like a Hammer but way heavier and short chain so it doesn't go too far indoors) on the morning of a track meet vs. Tufts. I was just barely worth having on the team as a High Jumper and Triple Jumper, but Coach Taylor identified that morning that I was the person who could most quickly get from zero to not-much*, and had realized that the field was unusually weak so there were points "up for grabs." Scored 2 points in the Weight Throw that day, beating two guys from Tufts. Never threw it again.

*Oh, and of course he didn't want to wear out a more important team member!

I've also had fun with and/or competed not-very-seriously in volleyball, soccer, (touch) football, pool :), Ultimate, Crew (aka Rowing), snow skiing, and probably other stuff. I do, however, completely suck at Softball (and I presume also Baseball although somehow never even tried that one -- un-American, I know!).

I have no clue why, but it seems that I have moderate potential in sports with either no ball at all, or a ball bigger than a Softball. Small-ball sports like tennis, paddle tennis, baseball/softball, raquetball, and even golf, don't seem to work for me. I guess I'm passable at Hockey, but I seem to get very angry playing that game so I avoid it!

As to slalom, I will admit to some genetic advantages: height, reach, stronger back and hips than other muscles, technical bent, and -- the ability to make enough money to actually afford to participate!! But I really feel my success in slalom is largely due to specializing in a niche sport. If this sport were as popular and accessible as basketball or football, with huge numbers of the world's best athletes going at it, running -38 would just be a mediocre acheivement. (I personally don't think somebody like Nate Smith would be particularly threatened by such an occurence, but there surely would be a ton more folks near to that level.)
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    skibrainBradyrok
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,413 Crazy Baller
    I was a big fish in a small pond. Usually one of the better athletes in the region, but different story at the state or national level. My most natural sports were snow skiing, volleyball and soccer. Water skiing...not so much.
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,347 Mega Baller
    Never played any Highschool or college sports outside of skiing. I've had my share of success at lifting and I've had some fun on a snowboard and of course skiinf since summer of 07 I think it was.
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,379 Mega Baller
    I could have made the Pro Fishing tour but water skiing was more fun.
    Shut up and ski
    skidawgthager
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,337 Mega Baller
    I have had the ability to be decent at every sport I've done, but that said I didn't give any of them the effort necessary to become elite. Lazy f.

A note regarding "athleticisim", I just spent the last three days watching 18 yr old boys from all over the country play volleyball in an effort to qualify for Jr. Nationals this summer. If you are one of those who think volleyball is a "girl's sport", then you don't don't know the guys' game. Trust me, you would not want to be hit by one of their "kills". The athleticism is amazing. The #2 out of 84 teams there was a team from Baja California. In particular the athleticism of those boys was strikingly high - across the board. Most teams have guys of varying heights and abilities, but every single one of the Baja guys were incredible athletes. I kept asking myself why all of them had such evenly matched, high-level athleticism and then it dawned on me - I imagine every one of them spent most of their formative years playing not much else but soccer. Running, sprinting, cutting, jumping - just free form, high-intensity play. For years. Wow. As a dad, I was like "crap, I should've kept both my boys in soccer for longer". May or may not translate to water skiing very well, but to develop an overall athlete - running, jumping, quickness, coordination - it's something to think about. My son's team managed to take one set out of three from them, which was a feat, but in the end they were beat. Our team is one of those with kids of all different sizes, shapes, and athleticism.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    Skoot1123BulldogMarco
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    I was damn good at flip cup
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
    The_MSMattPBulldog
  • igkyaigkya Posts: 674 Crazy Baller
    I was an elite beer pong player in college.
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,032 Mega Baller
    I rowed at a high level in highshcool before committing to skiing in college. My boats were in the top 20 in the country for 4 years. I still coach 6 days a week.
    6balls
    @jimbrake I agree on the soccer front I played a lot of soccer but I couldn't keep my kids in it. Basketball is another sport like that.
    Mark Shaffer
    Thanks for the input guys. For myself I had 13 varsity letters in HS football, wrestling, track, and played pretty good Legion baseball. 4 letters in college football and a D3 National championship as WR in 1976. Pretty much always been able to watch a sport task then do it. Not Waterskiing. I suck!?. Maybe that's why I love it. Ultimate challenge, never boring, and doesn't require sweat.
    skidawg
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,612 Mega Baller
    @MattP If you haven't read it already, pick up "Boys in the Boat." Great story about collegiate and Olympic crewing in the mid 1930's.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • ColeGiacopuzziColeGiacopuzzi Posts: 442 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    edited January 2015
    I've been skiing since I was 5, and was immersed in the sport at a young age! I did pick up volleyball when I was in the 8th grade and played all through high school! I was lucky enough to be on a great team that went really far in playoffs my junior and senior season, I started every game and absolutely loved the sport! It worked out well being volleyball was a spring sport, it would get me in great shape for the summer! Now that I'm out of high school I try to ski year around so I keep my body in waterski shape which helps tremendously!
    @skibrain‌ I was 12 when I started skiing. First tournament about 15 or so. We had to figure things out on our own. Not much info share then. Couldn't afford ski school and pretty much got out of skiing after college for about 10 years until I could afford to do it again. Seems to be a correlation from my personal database that most of the really good skiers I know running -38 or less were not into other sports with a few exceptions of course that I can think of.
    @thager So your hypothesis in starting this thread was that waterskiing success is actually uncorrelated -- or even anticorrelated -- with success in other sports?

That's pretty fascinating. In the end, I doubt it's true, but I will say this: The only two people I've ever seen get up on their first attempt where fairly unathletic. Both were women and both listened to exactly what to do instead of trusting their instincts.

On a related note, the one way I can see your hypothesis being true is that if you've always been able to rely on athletic instinct, it can be tough to succeed in a sport that requires some pretty unintuitive movements at times. But athleticism itself is still enormously helpful in my opinion, as long as the person can also be more of a technical athlete. I believe you can get "pretty good" with either of those (me being entirely the latter), but you can only get "really good" with both.
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,379 Mega Baller
    I taught Kenny Stills (father of NO Saints KS JR) how to ski. He got up on 1ski on his first shot and was snapping off the shore by his 3rd time in the water.
    Shut up and ski
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,204 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    It may be that really good athletes know it early, pick up more traditional sports that take all of their time not really considering water skiing a sport but a recreational activity that some people do on lakes on the weekends.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Than_Bogan
    edited January 2015
    @6balls In support of that theory: Doug Flutie grew up on my lake (in what is now @rayn's house, actually) and dabbled in waterskiing. He probably figured he'd make a little more money in football. (EDIT: See below! Apparently this is false!)

For some reason, I am totally fascinated by this thread and keep hoping for input from more folks.
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 1,155 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I became an athlete because of waterskiing. I grew up on a lake so we got out there. I played a little youth soccer by it didn't stick and I wish it had. I played tennis one year in high school and did ok (dad coached). Back then I was more into cars and guitars than sports. At college (Michigan State) I got really into waterski competition and 20 years later still hard at it. Sometimes I wonder how he hell I got so hooked and how it became one of the big things in my life that defines me. But why ask, just to with it.

Since waterskiing I have gotten into other sports like mountian biking, rock climbing and snow skiing. Not enough to measure myself competitively at any of them and would just say I do pretty well at those sports given all the more time I spend on them.

I think I am an average or slightly above average athelete. There are certainly more talented people around me that are far better atheletes. I think I am competitive waterskiing because of my dedicated obsession with it, a good approach to training and technique, and plain old hard work.

Great thread
    Brady
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 802 Mega Baller
    15 or so years ago I teamed up with Ben Favret to put on a water ski clinic for disadvantaged youths from the inner city of Orlando. Ben had them all up skiing in absolutely no time. There was this one little boy who was something special. Ben asked him if he wanted to barefoot and the kid just basically crawled out on the boom at speed, dropped his feet in and skied away. Made me wonder what was possible if more people who were really athletically inclined had a chance to try our sport. It was the first and probably last time that kid ever had a chance to ski ...
    edited January 2015
    @Than_Bogan Doug Flutie didn't grow up on the lake he bought Ray's house when he signed his first big contract with the NJ Generals after he left BC. They grew up downtown somewhere. If Doug water skied it was after college they didn't ski at all when I was growing up on the lake.

The point on different sports taking up time I think is valid. My son has been a competitive water skier since he was about 8 skied in tournaments and competed at Nationals (never more than top half of the field in overall). This past summer and this coming summer his focus has shifted to lacrosse which he hopes to play in college. He will still ski and ski tournaments but he won't be able to practice as much and we will likely miss tournaments for lacrosse tournaments in the first half of the summer. By mid-end of July his lacrosse schedule is pretty much done but so is the tournament schedule in the northeast.

I know that a two time winner of Boys 2 slalom at Nationals didn't compete last year. I understand he is a very good basketball player but I don't know if that had anything to do with him not skiing last year.
    Mark Shaffer
    Than_Bogan