Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mastercraft Pro Star

GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
Close friend of mine is still dealing with a Mastercraft debacle...... Boat was at the dealer for 6 weeks and now it is stuck there till spring, and who knows if it is fixed or not..........

This boat had an issue with big time power loss. It would barely yank a 185 lbs skier out of the water and struggled to get to 34.2 MPH before the entry gates. Then it would try super hard to make up that time before 2 ball....... punishing pull!

The fix Mastercraft said was because a few 14's and a couple 15's got manufactured with some air venting getting crushed. Rather than fixing it, they want to add an additional blower motor to the dog house and have it suck air in through the cup holder.

Trying to see if anyone else on here has had this issue or been persuaded by Mastercraft to try this fix???
2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!

Comments

• DmaxJC_skiDmaxJC_ski Posts: 346 Solid Baller
    That seems like a lazy way to fix the problem.
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 1,167 Mega Baller
    The blower was added to all of the 2014 MCs used at Nationals this year. I was told it was added to reduce the ambient temperature under the motor cover.
    Kelvin Kelm, Lakes of Katy, Katy Texas
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,845 Mega Baller
    I think I would just install a vent in the back of the motor box. Good God! That would be a pretty air tight engine compartment and bilge if lack of Air was causing the Performance issue!! Seems one could hear it sucking through the cracks and seams!
    To Funny!
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

walleye
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,661 Mega Baller
    I think the 2015s got a little tweak in the transmission as well to help the hole shot.

I heard about people removing their cupholders last summer to increase air flow.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • ForrestGumpForrestGump Posts: 6,083
    Our '15 will damn near yank your arms out of your shoulder sockets.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• DWDW Posts: 2,057 Mega Baller
    @GoodeSkier: the proposed fix is certainly a band aid to the problem, although fixing a crushed hull vent is not necessarily an easy fix. A quick check to see if that is the problem, unfortunately not doable now, would be to stick a small 2x4 under the engine box letting air in the crack and go run the boat and see if that fixes it. If not, it is something else.

Not an MC, but on my vessel, I installed a couple of cold air tubes by replacing 2 of the 4 cup holders in the engine box with ducting to a cold air box at the inlet. Helps particularly in warm weather by supplying the engine with ambient temperature air rather than the warmer air in the engine box, A-B test on a hot day was a 200 rpm WOT difference. Side effect is a nice inlet hissing sound from the 2 center "former" cupholders.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,583 Mega Baller
    The '14 I skied behind could pull me up uncomfortable fast. I think it had 5.7. I would think you could get some kind of scope down that vent tube to verify that is the problem. If the vent tube was crush and not fixable I'd be inclined to ask for another boat.
  • rq0013rq0013 Posts: 556 Baller
    Different transmission for 15 boats
    Rob Quetschke
    [Deleted User]HortonBulldog
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 1,014 Crazy Baller
    There is no way I would accept that fix from a dealer on a new boat. They would be fixing it correctly or ordering me a replacement at their cost.
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
    The_MSgregy
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,379 Mega Baller
    Just the knowledge of the issue with the 14s among skiers will depreciate the value of those boats.
    Shut up and ski
    HortonBulldog
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,237 Mega Baller
    my 14 has been perfect, @goodeskier 's buddy needs a better service department to fix that boat's problems
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    WishBulldog
  • rq0013rq0013 Posts: 556 Baller
    Ive been in 2 boats that had a hard time getting up to speed. One of them wanted $70K for it.
    Rob Quetschke
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    @richarddoane‌ your boat skiis GREAT! I want to get this one dialed in to ski the same. Seems the issue was in the manufacturing. Boat Manufactured in June 2014.
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,379 Mega Baller
    I skied behind Lonnies 14 a few times and it was the greatest ZO slalom pull I have ever had.
    Shut up and ski
  • zippin_2zippin_2 Posts: 39 Baller
    This is an easy one...$70K
    replace crushed vents at your expense
    replace boat
    return my $$$.
    Bulldog
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    @zippin_2‌ if it were only that easy........
  • zippin_2zippin_2 Posts: 39 Baller
    sad...
    but true
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,237 Mega Baller
    @scotchipman‌ you'll need a 6.0 for the altitude
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 1,014 Crazy Baller
    What Prostar engine was in the debut boats in Calgary? They ran amazing from what I heard.
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,983 Mega Baller
    I love the MC, but if I was buying a new ski tug Gekko then Centurion would be on top of my list and up to 30+K would stay in the bank.
    HortonBulldog
  • HortonHorton Posts: 28,289 Administrator
    @Bulldog‌ those two boats were R&D boats so every detail that could be triple checked was triple checked.

As with skis or anything else, the stuff the R&D staff and the factory team has will have all the bugs worked out.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ McClintock's

Masterline ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Bulldog
    @ALPjr Those boats had the 6.2. There isn't a 6.0 on the option sheet for the ProStar.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,095 Baller
    For 80k, the manufacturer should come out and fix it for free.
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
    DmaxJC_ski
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    Calgary's Predator Bay Club had two production 6 ltr. Prostars last summer, and they were a VAST improvement over the smaller engines in the previous Mastercrafts at the club. Predator is only at 3,500 feet asl, but that is enough that getting up to 36 mph by the 55 balls was marginal with the base engines.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    @shaneH no that is not exactly true. At the unveiling there was a 6.2 Jump boat AND a slalom boat that was a 5.7 or a 6.0 - forget. I think it was a 6.0 but I am not sure.

edited January 2015
    I can assure you the boats at the unveiling were both 6.2s. MC made the strategic decision to not offer the 6.0 engine. So you get only the choice for a 5.7 or a 6.2.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

@ShaneH‌ I was there. Unless they lied to me I am 100% sure both boats were not 6.2.

All I know is they came through here on the way to Bennetts and they both had 6.2s in them at that point.
    Shane "Crash" Hill