Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rubber bindings or Hardshell boots??

Ryota Ryota Posts: 123 Solid Baller
I an currently using HO animal binding with RTP on my Vapor.
But I am planning to change it to Reflex hardshell boot.
What is the differences between rubber bindings and herdshell boot?
What's the benefit of using hardshell boot?

Comments

• RLoganRLogan Posts: 29 Baller
    I used HO bindings for years and loved them. Now I love my Reflex hardshell. Incomparable comfort. I could wear it all day with no cramps. The neoprene booty is a plus in cold spring and fall water. The reflex booties do not hold up that well. I now use Intuition liners. Adjust the release carefully and check it. I broke my leg in two places and tore my Achilles from a failure to release because of an improper setting.
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,975 Infinite Pandas
    For me, comfort is the real advantage to a hardshell. Absolutely worth the switch.

Safety may be enhanced over an Animal - or not. Neither is perfectly safe.

Weight favors the hardshell. Weight matters to me. Not everybody else though.

Hardshells are expensive. And expensive to maintain.

Performance is subjective. It took me a while to adapt. I first tried with hardshells as stiff as I could make them. Couldn't get up. Couldn't run a pass. Gave up. Tried again. I had to soften up the hardshell by unpinning the softest plastic boot I could find (modeled after a sweet Fogman shell). Got used to them and loved them for years. I'd claim a performance advantage once I figured them out but it's subtle.

Recently switched to Radar boots and I like them too. Less maintenence on the Radars. Maybe I like the performance more. And maybe slightly better releases.

Eric
  • MarkMMarkM Posts: 134 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Reflex hard shell for the win.
    Comfort, control, safety. Period.
  • skialexskialex Posts: 1,037 Crazy Baller
    Weight matters to me too, comfort is a plus too. High maintenance and less injury risk if set up right (and I do not mean only the tension spring) . Also I believe that hardshells keep your feet warmer than rubber in the winter not the other way around.
    Personally I like my Reflex I switched 7 years ago and I would not go back to rubber any time soon.
    Alex,
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 644 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Hard shell or soft-fit shell, for performance and comfort! I haven't skied with rubber bindings in over 20 years! Check out the OB4 System for safety...
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
    JJVDMZN
  • ColeGiacopuzziColeGiacopuzzi Posts: 451 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I used double HO animal bindings my whole life until 2 years ago, and I switched to a reflex front, and an animal in the back. Then at the end of 2014 I switched my rear to a wiley. Best change I ever did, you will find the ski extremely responsive, night and day difference. My buoy count jumped when I switched to a reflex, it take time to get used to, but keep on it. Good luck!