Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Slalom Organization

GregDavisGregDavis Posts: 278 Solid Baller
Maybe it's time to start with a clean slate. You can't be every thing to everyone. I just re-newed my membership to USA Water Ski. $175. ( for wife and myself) we slalom only, go to several tournaments a year. In the past have participated in the Nationals, ( boring, long and drawn out, not much FUN ) That's it. We're only interested in Slalom. My guess is less than 10% of my dues goes toward Slalom activities or improving slalom etc. Things change, and smart people ( and organizations ) make adjustments and change as necessary to move forward. WHAT WE HAVE NOW, OBVIOUSLY IS NOT WORKING, SO TO KEEP DOING THE SAME THING AND EXPECT A DIFFERENT RESULT IS, NOT REAL SMART.

With a head to head format, All the slalom skiers ( all divisions) would be Big Dawgs ) I'm not down on tricks or Jump, however, lets be realistic, tricks and Jump probably takes up at least 50 or 60% of the time at a 3 event tournament. ( for 10 % of the participants) If the group of skiers who enjoy slalom want to have their own organization, and Slalom only Nationals, so be it. Others can do whatever they want. I'm not talking AWSA, or USA Water ski. I'm talking NSO ( National Slalom Organization ) or WSO ( World Slalom Organization) NEW FRESH IDEAS, NEW FRESH FORMAT, NEW FRESH LEADERSHIP, NEW FRESH SPONSORS, NEW FRESH ENTHUSIASM, ADD THE FUN FACTOR.
randy menyjayski9400MattPkstateskier[Deleted User]scotchipmanThe_MSBulldogMISkierjhughesShakeskiGolfguydanbirchdstone124markchilcutt

Comments

• randy menyrandy meny Posts: 51 Baller
    Great idea Greg
  • Tyler_RTyler_R Posts: 46 Baller
    It is an interesting idea, but from the perspective of someone who has to sell events to sponsors every month I'm not sure a slalom only tournament is very exciting to potential viewers. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but i think we need to be careful about creating an event, that I've heard described by several people I've introduced to the sport, as "fun to do but as entertaining as watching paint dry."

I think that nationals should be 3 weekend events. One for each event, and that way you could play with the format a lot more. If you did that based upon last years divisions, in most cases trick and jump could almost be bracketed like the NCAA basketball tournament. And you could probably have a head to head finals for the slalom one.
    The John Daily of Watersking

Formerly TylerR and personal nuisance to Matt Page
    gt2003
  • GregDavisGregDavis Posts: 278 Solid Baller
    Tyler, " I'm not sure a slalom only tournament is very exciting to potential viewers."

As far as Nationals three weekends, Not even a remote possibility.

Have you ever been to a Big Dawg finals, Head to Head? Not sure trick skiing is real exciting to viewers. Now Jump, yes, exciting, however incorporating Jump. ??? maybe , but limited sites and other logistics, would prevent Jump from being included.

At one time, I sold ALL sponsorship for Big Dawg events. Feedback from sponsors was off the charts positive.
    Bulldog
  • MattPMattP Posts: 6,249 Mega Baller
    edited March 2015
    @GregDavis How about trick skiing side by side in a head2head run? Like was done at the Extreme Water sports festival in Orlando a few years ago. I believe it was a flip off or there was not a limit on flips down and back down the lake.
    Sorry if I seem selfish, I am interested in Slalom skiing, not interested in wakeboard, or show skiing, or tricks or Jump, and or, all the other stuff USA Waterski has control of. EXAMPLE, if I join a racquet ball organization. I don't want that organization spending my dues on Hand ball, or volley ball or anything but racquet ball. Racquet ball is my sport, There are many other examples; USA Water Ski pays plenty for insurance ( I'm sure the Jump on water ski lakes takes a big chunk of the insurance premium) the jump also takes lots of money and maintance from club members. However probably less than 10% of members Jump. 60% or more of the resources are spent on Jump.
    MickeyThompsonThe_MSjhughesAndre
  • E_TE_T Posts: 625 extraterrestrial trouble maker
    I like the sound of a new world order
    E.T. phone home!
    I like reese's pieces

"Leave nothing on the dock"~AM
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,977 Infinite Pandas
    Break the sport into smaller pieces? I hope not.
    Eric
  • kstateskierkstateskier Posts: 524 Solid Baller
    head to head slalom sounds fun. Especially if I get to ski more than one set. Traditional tournaments are boring.
    KStateSkier
    Bradley Beach - Lone Rock Ski Club, Missouri
    2004 Malibu Response LXI, 2014 D3 Helix 66"
  • Tyler_RTyler_R Posts: 46 Baller
    I've pitched trying to have a pro slalom only tournament to my 3 main livestreaming sponsors and they all keep saying no way. It's just my 2 cents
    The John Daily of Watersking

Formerly TylerR and personal nuisance to Matt Page
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 726 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Let's take @Tyler_R 's idea to another level... I'm not sure how many sites could handle the set up but what about slalom on one lake then have jump/wakeboard held on a seperate lake at the same location. Events could be staggered so all finals could be held at seperate times so spectators could rotate from lake to lake as needed to watch. This would let folks see all the good stuff in a shorter time period all in one location. That might even allow restructuring of slalom to allow more slalom runs per competitor? The difficulty would be with the multi-event skiers. But, someone smarter than I could likely figure that out.
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
    rab
  • The_MSThe_MS Posts: 6,131 Member of the BallOfSpray Hall Of Fame
    I am in.
    Shut up and ski
    With the current format, I should not be more than 2 days to ski. Unless I skied MM - then I had some time separation. Or not, once I was scheduled to ski Open and my age division at exactly the same time - delayed one lake at Nationals by a half hour.

However, I have stayed for the entire tournament. As a worker. Very fulfilling. I don't have a lot of respect for those who show up to ski and leave.

To turn this diverse sport into just counting right and left turns so our big tournament is shorter seems counterproductive to the long term health of the sport.

Eric
    Camchris_loganBRY
  • ShakeskiShakeski Posts: 141 Baller
    I feel that this needs to be done (if at all) in stages. You can't just turn and flip the script all at once (as stated in the comments above). I feel that in the coming years slalom skiing is going to begin to see an overall increase in popularity again (more so than it has started to recently). It makes sense to do slalom only events for sure, it just needs to be tested to see how many people would really be on board first. I feel that it is spot on with the fact that for something like this many people would say they would be there and get involved, and then when the event day comes around, not be there (from a spectators perspective).
    [Deleted User]
    You can't just turn and flip the script all at once (as stated in the comments above).

WHY NOT?
    MickeyThompson
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,624 Mega Baller
    I only ski multi-round slalom tourneys...this idea would fit. The only way I go to a nat's that I qualify for is multiple slalom rides. Some fun events surrounding would be cool as well.

Just a buncha slalom addicts hanging out.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    MISkierThe_MSMickeyThompson
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,412 Administrator
    @GregDavis I am behind you. If you can do it all at once you are a hero. Like @OB I just success is more likely one bite at a time (like eating an elephant). I have been meaning to talk to you about my "thing" but was not sure how locked in you are with your previous ski venture. Perhaps we should talk off line.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

Shakeski
    Lets talk, let me know when good time to call. or call me at 407-617-3417
    hooscal15
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,121 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @Horton: Slalom skiers could be the Democrats in your analogy, with the trickers and jumpers being the Republicans that suffered from the third party/Tea Party candidate. I'm mostlty (99%) a slalom skier, but I'd hate to see something that jeopardizes the viability of trick, jump and overall.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 3,121 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    That does not mean that I am opposed to new good ideas to make water ski tournaments more user friendly, spectator friendly and fun, including rule and format changes
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • raynrayn Posts: 410 Solid Baller
    edited March 2015
    I really like the tournament format the BAHA( @Tim Vaio ) runs in Sacto. One day 3 pulls, of which 2 could be slalom, or 1 each slalom, trick and jump. Then the second day another 2 round slalom. Gives the majority what we want, but give the 3 eventers scores.
    Ray Newmark -
    @OB said it, "kids 3 event". Doesn't the new blood come from the kids?

FRESH IDEA: exclude the kids??

Sorry, too long in the convention booth on a slow day.

Eric
  • raynrayn Posts: 410 Solid Baller
    @OB My point is exactly that, it is a great set up for slalomers, versus slalom on one day and then tricks and jump on the next which is what we basically have here in the northeast.
    Ray Newmark -
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,412 Administrator
    edited March 2015
    For traditionalists 3 events is critical. Here in the West, trick and jump are hardly even on life support. I support three events but at some point you have to cut your losses and move on.

if you don't believe me about the trouble in California => go to the USA waterski website and look at the number of tournaments in California this year. There are very few tournaments to start with and hardly any of those are 3 event.

furthermore I can only think of two or three jump ramps in California that can be accessed by the public

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

• ALPJrALPJr Posts: 2,428 Mega Baller
    Slalom only is cool and that is what my ski buddies and I do... But, Regionals and Nats - keep it traditional slalom, tricks and jump.... Local c class and novice/grass roots - add something for beginners like mini course, and create a new event like a timed random buoy/gate slalom that would require manufacturers to make new skis for quick short turns and cuts, and smaller more agile boats with outboard power.
    Those who want to continue to ski three event, absolutely have at it. HOWEVER , those who choose to join the NSA, ( National Slalom Association) should be free to do so. Maybe some will ski in both.

Can you imagine Boys 1,2 and 3 and Girls 1, 2 and 3 Competing in the NSA Nationals, going at it against their piers, in a Head to Head format. Then getting recognized at the banquet by your fellow skiers. Getting to ski multiple times after paying Air fare, rent a car and hotel expense. All divisions would compete in Head to Head, it would be a percentage of total participants in a Division that would advance to the Head to Head Finals. i.e Mens 4 or Mens 5 might have 16 skiers in Head to Head finals, and Women's 7 might only have 2 skiers in Head to Head.
    OK, enough for me, I'm going to go ride my dirt bike