Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Collegiate ski team looking for help

Hi everyone, I am one of the officers for the University of Georgia waterski team. We are a collegiate team completing in 3-event collegiate level tournaments. However, we really need some help and guidance. Due to lack of funding and guidance, the ski team is really not doing well here at UGA. With the seniors graduating, we are down to four members (not including incoming freshman). In addition, we do not really have any sort of help from the university. They give us a tiny allowance each year to buy things with, but other than that we are on our own. We could really use any help, guidance, or coaching! I think what we really need is someone who help out with organization. Busy college kids are not the best at running a ski team! Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
chris_logan

Comments

• chris_loganchris_logan Posts: 360 Crazy Baller
    @susanm1ski
    Alumni. You have a wealth of experience and leadership that can be handed down from your alumni.

Me. I will be very willing to sit down and talk all about it with you at one of the spring tournaments. You will likely find me in the boat, or ashore judging.

I don't have a ton of time to pour into it this morning, but I would like to refer you to another similar thread where a lot of discussion was made in regards to your inquiry: ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/comment/186020

Hope to ski you soon!
    Always looking for a pull... Will you be my boatdriver?
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,977 Infinite Pandas
    The challenges of college athletics! Great teams graduate and you have to start all over. Stick with it - building the team might be the best lesson you get in college. All while having fun meeting new people.

I'd add a couple more resources to tap, parents of team members - especially if they are skiers. And the local skiers (most of the team skis are donated by local club skiers) can be very supportive.

Good luck and have fun.

Eric
  • susanm1skisusanm1ski Posts: 28 Baller
    Thanks guys, I will try to tap into any available resources I can find. Unfortunately since I am a freshman myself, I don't know the alumni very well. I might be able to get some parents involved though. I'll keep exploring my options!
  • ShakeskiShakeski Posts: 141 Baller
    Try and keep a group site together. As a former college athlete, I know that for my team we had something as simple as a facebook group. That group has kept all the alumni together and been a great way to communicate after we all went our separate ways.
  • akale15akale15 Posts: 149 Baller
    edited March 2015
    Try and utilize other teams for resources. Don't be afraid to ask what other schools are doing, what events they hold, how they fund raise, keep relations with the alumni, promote the team on campus, ect. Have weekly meetings around the season and monthly meetings or get togethers during the off season, and elect office positions if you haven't done that all ready. Just staying organized and distribute the workload will help your busy college student issue. Talk to companies around campus, or have the team members talk to families about sponsoring some money. Someones mom or dad is bound to own a company and could donate even $100 here and there. It's a tax right off for them. Find an adviser on campus and get them involved in the student organization. With all the student organizations a university paid employee can be of a great assistance with the support between the school. Have the team members talk around with professors they like and find out if any have been involved as an adviser to a student organization.

Promote, promote, promote on campus, all year around! Have monthly call-outs now until the end of the school year. Get people involved who are interested even if they have never been behind a boat before. Don't be afraid to teach them, after all we are here to have fun. The more members you can get the more money you raise and more networking you can do. During my college ski team days we had a whole group of kids who were a great part of the team and their first or second time behind a boat was a school. You don't have to have the "best" skiers on campus....that will come with time, promotion, and a lot of hard work. One thing we did is had boat on campus day. Not sure your situation but if the team has a boat or if someone can bring there boat to campus and hand out flyers with contact information and call out dates.

As for coaching, your current team is your best resource. Help each other out and work to make each other better. If someone has a friend of family member that can come and give pointers that great too! We never had a "coach" during my time in school but all helped out and utilized our best skiers for resource. Video cameras help too, this allows for some self eval.

Hope this information helps, if you have more questions feel free to PM me.

Purdue Waterski Team Alumni
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,624 Mega Baller
    Yes be visible. I went to Iowa for a year not knowing there was a ski team. As a poor college kid figuring out I had access to a boat and buoys? Home run.

Develop guidebooks as you go along. For example a "how to run a tourney" checklist so that when someone graduates, you don't lose that knowledge and pass it to the next officer. How to secure storage, how to install/take out the course, jump maintenance, ski storage, ski ordering, boat maintenance etc.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • LuzzLuzz Posts: 570 Open or Level 9 Skier
    I also have extensive experience in collegiate skiing, both as a skier and assistant coach. I would love to help out. I sent you a private message, feel free to get in touch
    Host of The Water Ski Podcast & Water Ski Bits
    Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (recap videos from 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014)
    Co-organizer of the Jolly Clinics
  • susanm1skisusanm1ski Posts: 28 Baller
    @Horton , I do know Matt from the tournaments! He held a tournament during the fall and I met him then. Unfortunately I myself am not 21 yet but I'm sure I could enlist my upperclassmen ski team members to help out with the "bribing". I will keep you updated. @MattP
    E_T
  • HortonHorton Posts: 30,412 Administrator
    Oooo yea @MattP might help but you can actually trust @Luzz

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts★ Connelly ★ DBSkis ★ Denali ★ Goode ★ Follow ★ Hobe Lake ★ MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ 

McClintock's ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Rodics OffCourseStokes

E_TBroussard
  • rabrab Posts: 71 Baller
    edited March 2015
    @susanm1ski if your team is in need of a trick ski rope send me an email with an address for the team's mailbox or if your team doesn't have a university mailbox just send me anyone on the teams address. [email protected]

Also, I would update your website. Take a look at some of the other teams sites to get some inspiration.
    E_T
  • footloose42footloose42 Posts: 84 Baller
    I don't know how different UGA and Georgia Tech are from each other in terms of how the sports clubs and student governments interact, but if you send me a PM I might be able to lend you some advice and/or answer questions on how to navigate those types of things. I was the president of the Georgia Tech club for a time; I know what you mean when you say you have trouble with little experience and only 4 members.